Proposal: #3rd Overall + Galchenyuk for Granlund + Coyle

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Didn't Granlund play better on the wing? I wasn't aware they moved him back to center and if that's the case, why would Montreal do that when they need a center?

He was certainly more productive on the Wing over his career. But it should be said, that he only player Center under Yeo's system which was much more restrictive offensively than BB's system.

I'm not convinced after getting two years of confidence in his offensive game on the wing, that he couldn't translate much of that offense if not all of it back to the center position.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He was certainly more productive on the Wing over his career. But it should be said, that he only player Center under Yeo's system which was much more restrictive offensively than BB's system.

I'm not convinced after getting two years of confidence in his offensive game on the wing, that he couldn't translate much of that offense if not all of it back to the center position.
I've become increasingly curious about this as well. If our biggest long-term problem is at center I'd at least try Granlund there for a month before doing anything drastic.

Wouldn't expect anyone to trade for him as one, though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No deal but nice try. Habs not interested in trading the 3rd for older assets. Galchenyuk could be available but price to acquire won't be cheap.

Galchenyuk for Coyle: It's an interesting debate but not quite ready to give up on Galchenyuk yet. I think he has not touched his ceiling yet and Coyle has. I would be willing to make a deal but the Wild Add to make the Habs think. And a 3rd is not the add we are looking for.

Galchenyuk + for Coyle + might work. But the plus on the Habs side is much less than the plus on the Wild side. Habs have lots of good goalie prospects... if the Wild are looking for a good young goalie and they are willing to trade their 2018 1st, it would make the Habs think. Don't expect the Habs to unload Galchenyuk for cheap. He has a very high ceiling and I know why other teams are interested.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I still think Galchenyuk can put up 60 points and I like the prospect of having two serious shooting threats in the top six in he and Zadina. This does not fill a need

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
In the right circumstances, I think Galchenyuk can be 60-70 points player, and that's pretty much whst Granlund already is for the Wild.
The key is, “in the right circumstances”. Galchenyuk won’t fetch the return a 70 point player would. That being said, I think the asking price for chucky is a lot higher people expect, and it’s certainley more than a Coyle + mid-range pic. I think for that reason it’s tough to see a galchenyuk to Minnesota move. A move that I could see being beneficial for both Montreal and Minnesota is Brodin + Coyle for 3OA. Montreal gets a #2 center and a top 4/3 defensemen. Minnesota on the other hand gets a top pick and some much needed cap-space to sign dumba, zucker, etc. thoughts?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The key is, “in the right circumstances”. Galchenyuk won’t fetch the return a 70 point player would. That being said, I think the asking price for chucky is a lot higher people expect, and it’s certainley more than a Coyle + mid-range pic. I think for that reason it’s tough to see a galchenyuk to Minnesota move. A move that I could see being beneficial for both Montreal and Minnesota is Brodin + Coyle for 3OA. Montreal gets a #2 center and a top 4/3 defensemen. Minnesota on the other hand gets a top pick and some much needed cap-space to sign dumba, zucker, etc. thoughts?
Nope not even close. We dont need players like Coyle and we need more offense from the back end. Brodin is a defensive Dman. That 3rd is untouchable in any realistic deal with Min.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Nope not even close. We dont need players like Coyle and we need more offense from the back end. Brodin is a defensive Dman. That 3rd is untouchable in any realistic deal with Min.

Why don’t you need players like Coyle? He could slide into a 2nd line center role perfectly; he is still a 55-60 point player over a full season. That being said, I see the need for offense from the back end. Does Coyle + Spurgeon get a deal done for 3OA?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Putrid deal for the Habs.
If Bergevin makes a deal for the 3rd overall pick, which he shouldn’t, He’s going to do it to try and make the team better immediately. Coyle would help tremendously at center, and Spurgeon is a legit #2 defensemen. That is something I could see Bergevin biting on.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
That’s actually a good suggestion if Montreal looks to win now (IMO they should with Weber and Price). No-one trades an established 1C. Best you can hope for is a fringe 1C (Johansen, Turris, Duchene) and even then stars have to align the right way. Granlund is probably the best bet for fringe 1C they can get right now and Coyle should slot for 2C. Granlund can even move to the wing if they manage to sign Tavares. Not sure if Minnesota bites but they don’t look like a team that has it in them to win it all - Galchenyuk and 3rd will hopefully help them transition to the next core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad