News Article: ~$3m cap increase in 15'-16' from TV deal

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
According to this article, http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...sportsnet-hockey-night-canada-hnic-don-cherry

With the cap increase due to the new Canadian TV deal, how to you guys think the Sharks will use it?
Will it be used to retain Thornton, Patty, and Boyle in new contracts? or will it be used to find new depth via FA?

Discuss

There will be no increase in the cap next year (due to the new TV deal).

The cap is based on the previous years revenues.

The new Rogers/Sportsnet deal starts next year ('14-'15) and won't affect the cap until '15-'16.

James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail estimates the cap will rise about $3 million after next season based on the TV deal alone.

I've seen differing reports about the amount paid the first year ($300M to $350M) - which would be an increase of $135M to $185M over the existing deals (CBC: $125M TSN: $40M) - giving an ~$2.25M to $3.1M bump in cap in 2015.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
You are totally right kdb. How the hell did I miss that? Anyway, still a good conversation tho.

With an increase of in the cap at those estimates its still a good topic to discuss what the Sharks org is going to do with the cap space. It looks like Thornton, Boyle, and Patty's agents won't be able to look at the newly found cap dollars and try to get some of it.

In that case, maybe this new money will go to retaining young core players like Braun, Demers, and Hertl?

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Could also be that they won't be spending to the cap on the opening night, and instead will have some space to make moves later.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
The two notable players entering UFA and will be expecting raises are Braun and Niemi that summer. Depending how Braun develops he will most likely get an extra 1-1.5 mil raise, and most likely the same with Niemi.

whlscowt

Any chance a UFA like Thornton would take a 1 year deal at lower cost, and then strike big when the cap increases the next year? I'd imagine it would be high risk/high reward, but taking 1 year deals to cash out later isn't without precedent lately in the NHL.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Any chance a UFA like Thornton would take a 1 year deal at lower cost, and then strike big when the cap increases the next year? I'd imagine it would be high risk/high reward, but taking 1 year deals to cash out later isn't without precedent lately in the NHL.

Highly doubt it, considering the type of season thornton is having in his contract year. If anything wilson waiting so long to sign thornton, boyle, marleau will come back to bite him in the ***. If both marleau and thornton finish above couture and pavs in points then wilson will most likely have to pay them both or all 3 more then pavs and couture

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Highly doubt it, considering the type of season thornton is having in his contract year. If anything wilson waiting so long to sign thornton, boyle, marleau will come back to bite him in the ***. If both marleau and thornton finish above couture and pavs in points then wilson will most likely have to pay them both or all 3 more then pavs and couture

Most of it comes down to the length of the contract. If they sign 2-3 year deals then they most likely would want more or at least equal to pav and couture, but if Marleau and JT sign 5-6 year deals then I would expect them to take a little less than pavs and couture.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Most of it comes down to the length of the contract. If they sign 2-3 year deals then they most likely would want more or at least equal to pav and couture, but if Marleau and JT sign 5-6 year deals then I would expect them to take a little less than pavs and couture.

irregardless:naughty: of the length, JT will still be the highest paid Shark with his next deal. If he continues to play with Burns,Hertl and keeps his good health,he skates another 4yrs and amasses huge numbers:yo: at a great price:nod:
Will he sign another 3yr deal as he always has? I think he breaks the mold and signs for 4yrs/26mil. 7-7-6-6.He is still the highest paid Shark(as he should be). When this contract expires in 4 yrs, I can see him pulling a Lindstrom and taking 1yr deals to finish his career.
I would also tend to think Marleau gets a similar deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
irregardless:naughty: of the length, JT will still be the highest paid Shark with his next deal. If he continues to play with Burns,Hertl and keeps his good health,he skates another 4yrs and amasses huge numbers:yo: at a great price:nod:
Will he sign another 3yr deal as he always has? I think he breaks the mold and signs for 4yrs/26mil. 7-7-6-6.He is still the highest paid Shark(as he should be). When this contract expires in 4 yrs, I can see him pulling a Lindstrom and taking 1yr deals to finish his career.
I would also tend to think Marleau gets a similar deal.

At this point, there is a three way tie for best player on this team between Couture, Marleau, and Thornton. Thornton has slightly better numbers but Marleau and Couture both take on more responsibility and don't have a significant drop in production in comparison. Couture took 6 mil and it's obvious he is going to be the better one than the other two sooner rather than later. Thornton also is making 6 mil this season. I don't see any justifiable reason for that number to increase at this point. Both should come in at 6 mil if DW negotiates it properly.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My feeling is that the pool of players growing into the high salaries is outpacing both the pool of old, highly paid players exiting, and the salary cap.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
My feeling is that the pool of players growing into the high salaries is outpacing both the pool of old, highly paid players exiting, and the salary cap.

To many are going the way of crosby (getting paid big after rookie contract) and not enough players going the route of couture (semi cheap 2nd contract).

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
To many are going the way of crosby (getting paid big after rookie contract) and not enough players going the route of couture (semi cheap 2nd contract).
What will be interesting is to see where the $'s shift if you arrange players by 4 tiers. The stars (top 30 or so players) took it in the neck when they put the cap in (04-05). The second tier made out like bandits (the next 120). From the looks of the recent CBA, the 4th tier will still drag but I do wonder if the first tier will gain back some ground.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Taking a quick look at Cap Geek, no matter what we decide to pay JT/Patty, beit 7mil or 6mil. If we decide to keep Boyle (which I think we will) at like 5mil. We're going to have to move Havlat.

Don't forget we also have Demers and Wingels to resign as RFA's this offseason too. And both will probably get a decent raise.

There is a scenario of keeping Havlat if we move both Burish and TK.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Taking a quick look at Cap Geek, no matter what we decide to pay JT/Patty, beit 7mil or 6mil. If we decide to keep Boyle (which I think we will) at like 5mil. We're going to have to move Havlat.

Don't forget we also have Demers and Wingels to resign as RFA's this offseason too. And both will probably get a decent raise.

What number are you using for the CAP?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Not necessarily true. Chances are the cap rises to 70 million at least. That's enough to keep everyone and pay the RFA's that they want.

If they keep Marleau and Thornton at 6 mil and Boyle at 5 mil, they would be at about 62 million with 11 forwards, 5 d-men, and a goalie. Stalock obviously won't cost much. Demers' next contract depends heavily on his performance this season. If he has a good year and finishes around 30 points, they could very well do a one year, 2 mil contract where he'd still be an RFA then give him his payday if he has another good season afterwards. Wingels will be a little bit different. They don't have the same RFA window with him since he has one more year until UFA. I can see a two or three year contract at 2 million for him if he finishes as strong as he's shown thus far. The 7th defenseman will likely be in the Hannan range.

At that point, you're looking at a 68 million cap figure or thereabouts. That's enough room for what they want and about what they'd pay for these guys if they decided to keep them. It might be tight if Marleau, Thornton, or Boyle are being difficult with their figure but I don't see why they would be. However, even the 70 mil figure may be a conservative number at this point. There are strong indications it may hit 75 million.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Not necessarily true. Chances are the cap rises to 70 million at least. That's enough to keep everyone and pay the RFA's that they want.

If they keep Marleau and Thornton at 6 mil and Boyle at 5 mil, they would be at about 62 million with 11 forwards, 5 d-men, and a goalie. Stalock obviously won't cost much. Demers' next contract depends heavily on his performance this season. If he has a good year and finishes around 30 points, they could very well do a one year, 2 mil contract where he'd still be an RFA then give him his payday if he has another good season afterwards. Wingels will be a little bit different. They don't have the same RFA window with him since he has one more year until UFA. I can see a two or three year contract at 2 million for him if he finishes as strong as he's shown thus far. The 7th defenseman will likely be in the Hannan range.

At that point, you're looking at a 68 million cap figure or thereabouts. That's enough room for what they want and about what they'd pay for these guys if they decided to keep them. It might be tight if Marleau, Thornton, or Boyle are being difficult with their figure but I don't see why they would be. However, even the 70 mil figure may be a conservative number at this point. There are strong indications it may hit 75 million.

Where are you getting your estimated CAP info from?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Where are you getting your estimated CAP info from?

There is obviously nothing definitive at this point since it's based on this year's revenues. However, there are numerous speculative articles on the issue and some quotes from people within organizations that believe as such. Friedman stated that individuals within the league believed the salary cap could rise to 80 million dollars within four seasons. That is referenced here...

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/article...ry-cap-could-rise-to-80-million-in-four-years

I know Allan Walsh said that he thought it would return to 70 million. Stan Bowman thought it could hit 75 mil. The Bowman quote is here...

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674821

A lot of it is still in the speculation stages as I said earlier. Until we get a better idea of what the revenues are this season, we won't get a solid numbers so a lot of this is based off their projected revenues. The reason why 70 million may be conservative is because that cap was for the shortened season prorated for the length the season was going to be. Chances are that revenues expanded between last season and the end of this season for next season's cap.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sounds like there is still a lot of unknown. Mirtle just put out this article after the TV deal which estimates it at 67.7 for next year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...jump-10-million-in-two-years/article15627506/

The big unknown at this point is how the outdoor game series will impact the revenues. It's difficult to quantify what that will actually bring to them for this. After that is done and the numbers roll in, I think it will have a clearer picture of what's going on. However, I think 67 mil will be a tad conservative considering the league's cap for the shortened season was about 10% higher than the full season cap of 2011-12. I think 70 is bare minimum of what to expect as I don't expect revenues to be even with that season. I think 75 mil is a very real probability.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The big unknown at this point is how the outdoor game series will impact the revenues. It's difficult to quantify what that will actually bring to them for this. After that is done and the numbers roll in, I think it will have a clearer picture of what's going on. However, I think 67 mil will be a tad conservative considering the league's cap for the shortened season was about 10% higher than the full season cap of 2011-12. I think 70 is bare minimum of what to expect as I don't expect revenues to be even with that season. I think 75 mil is a very real probability.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m NHL govs likely to get (14-15) cap projection from league when they meet early next week in California. Sounds like it may be around $70M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad