Post-Game Talk: #39 | Coyotes at Flyers | January 5, 2023

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
All those times that you minimize and absolve him of blame are an endorsement of him.

Stating that the man has made one error is an endorsement of him.

Comparing him to other general managers in a glowing light is an endorsement of him.
The Hindenburg was, like, one mistake man. Don't dwell on the past.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Come to think of it, they had Schenn (#5) too.

So is it only Detroit and Boston then?
Translation, every cup winner in the cap era either had top 5 elite drafted players or they had that generations most elite selke player.

Great. Nice to know the replacement for not drafting high is to rely on drafting the next Bergeron/Datsyuk. I'm sure the Flyers have a super high chance of that happening.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Translation, ever cup winner in the cap era either had top 5 elite drafted players or they had that generations most elite selke player.

Great. Nice to know the replacement for not drafting high is to rely on drafting the next Bergeron/Datsyuk. I'm sure the Flyers have a super high chance of that happening.
Exactly how are they going to draft high?
It's not like they can just move JVR or Hayes and get value, unless they wait (TDL and this summer).
And Provorov is going to be hard to move until the summer.
So you want to give 25 year old TK away?

Right now TK is scoring like a top 1st line forward, even in the top 5, what are the odds of getting an equivalent player?

Of course, they can just dump players, hope to suck for Bedard, and when they miss, basically be horrible for the next five years as they slowly stockpile players similar to what they got rid of.

Reactions: Travat

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Exactly how are they going to draft high?
It's not like they can just move JVR or Hayes and get value, unless they wait (TDL and this summer).
And Provorov is going to be hard to move until the summer.
So you want to give 25 year old TK away?

Right now TK is scoring like a top 1st line forward, even in the top 5, what are the odds of getting an equivalent player?

Of course, they can just dump players, hope to suck for Bedard, and when they miss, basically be horrible for the next five years as they slowly stockpile players similar to what they got rid of.

By planning in advance. It’s too late now for them to be bottom 3, because they fail to anticipate.

Remember how unprepared they were when Gaudreau became a free agent? It had been telegraphed for THREE years that he wanted to come to Philly when he was a UFA. But somehow they were unprepared.

They are delusional and cannot for the life of them anticipate.

Like signing Risto to 5 years and Sanheim to 8. What was the rush on Sanheim? Makes no sense. They constantly put themselves in a corner.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Translation, every cup winner in the cap era either had top 5 elite drafted players or they had that generations most elite selke player.

Charlie has openly alluded to the fact that the Flyers try to model after the Blues.

I’d wager the Kings are also in that realm with Lombardi’s name coming out more as having true influence.

With the obsession with defense, and “keeping the Flyers, the Flyers” - it kind of fits this what they are trying to create.

From an entertainment, and marketing point of view - a try hard, low talented defensive team isn’t the easiest sell. Camillo needs to wake them up.

As always, it’s not about success. It’s about keeping the Flyers hx relevant today. Nothing more.

Last edited:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
went out for breakfast with a group of old boys this morning..

the topic got onto hockey and eventualy chat about Bedard.. every single person agreed he is the next "guy you have to get"...

i cried into my coffee...:ha:

If none of them said "The next opponent to beat is Arizona and then maybe Columbus or at least San Jose", well, then you have normal friends. Congratulations

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I said a couple months back that the current St. Louis comparison, with sheer overpowering depth, is Buffalo. But then Tage Thompson went from solid 1C to Hart caliber and Dahlin has finally reached his Norris caliber ceiling. They're both better than the best players on that Blues team. And Dahlin, a 1st overall pick, was the most heralded defensive prospect since Hedman, so that also blows up this Flyers future Cup plan. Power isn't a player who I think will live up to his #1 billing, but they did have that pick too. Oh yeah: they still have insane future depth.

Thankfully, the Flyers aren't the Sabres. Can you imagine how horrible that would be?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thankfully, the Flyers aren't the Sabres. Can you imagine how horrible that would be?
If I was sure I'd still be alive in 2032 . . .
Took Buffalo 12 years to get back into the playoffs.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If I was sure I'd still be alive in 2032 . . .
Took Buffalo 12 years to get back into the playoffs.

It took a regime change to do away with the abject incompetency. We can determine how many years it will take the Flyers to get back into the playoff picture when we get clarity on that front. It's not like they have a single u25 elite talent anyway, so sit tight and take your vitamins, deady.

The Sabres also don't have a single top 10 scorer on their roster from 2015-2016 (Eichel's rookie year) on their present one. If you want to define rebuilds as between playoff appearances or wins, you're going to do away with the actual up and down nuances: expectations, roster turnover, etc. Buffalo was not in a tank job during some of those years. The reality is it was multiple rebuilds, not one long one.

Last edited:

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
There must be multiple Frosts on this team because half the posts I see can't possibly be talking about #48 Morgan Frost.
Fist0 has frost in his veins. I mean literally. He stands still cause he cant move. And in his brain. Cause he cant think.

Maybe thats what people see?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Someone is going to have to explain to me how the Avs “took a decade.”

Colorado Avalanche Draft History at hockeydb.com

The AVs drafted Landeskog in 2011, Mackinnon in 2013, Rantanen in 2015, Makar in 2017 and Byram and Newhook in 2019.

It takes time to assemble top level talent in the draft, especially when you miss out in the even years!

If you think the Flyers have a couple pieces from the last couple drafts, the players they pick in the next two first rounds will be mature enough to lead a winner 6-7 years from now at the earliest.

Then most good teams lose a few times before they figure it out, putting the window of Cup contention at 8-10 years.

A top 3 in the league player like Mackinnon, didn’t win until his D+9 year. For this year’s pick, assuming we get a stud, that’s 2032.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad