GDT: #39 – Jets at Sabres – Sat Jan 7, 1:00PM ET – MSG-B

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
You can tell when Eichel's just not feeling it.

When he's feeling it, he's pretty untouchable out there. There have been a lot of games he wasn't feeling it, and a handful of games he has been on.

I think its just a case of a horse wanting to run and the trainer not allowing it

We'll see. He's obviously extremely intense, which is what you would expect. He has definitely been "in" every game since the interview.

I would in no way though, describe his behavior today as a "temper tantrum " or immaturity.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I hate Jacks recent displays on line changes. He wears his immaturity too often.
I'll take passionate, immature Eichel over composed, passive Eichel. This team clearly responds to a little fire on their collective *****... and no one was spitting any despite an abysmal first 30 games or so this season.

I wouldn't want that immaturity to spill over to a poor attitude in the locker room though. Not that he is, but if he can leave it on the ice and take that frustration out on the opponent, we're all the better for it.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
You can tell when Eichel's just not feeling it.

When he's feeling it, he's pretty untouchable out there. There have been a lot of games he wasn't feeling it, and a handful of games he has been on.

I think its just a case of a horse wanting to run and the trainer not allowing it

I thought he was really good today but it just didn't go in for him and his mates. He backchecked and generating a lot of chances.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Scheifele deserves a 50 game suspesion for using his stick as a weapon on McCabes face, regardless of what caused the cut. Scheifele is a dirty player for the rest of his career, starting today.

It looked bad from the first angle, and I thought it was a cross check too at first.

See 0:45, looks like Schiefele slides hands together to deliver more of a double glove thrust than anything.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Imagine if Byfuglien and Lehner went at it. Why couldn't the ref just let them go.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I've always liked the Sabres. Ever since my favorite goalie ever played for you guys (I don't think I have to name him). I love Eichel, that guy is a dynamo. Easily one of the most likeable players in the entire league. Good fans. Good team.

As a fan of Laine, hard to see that hit. But it was clean. You could probably argue that it was not necessary. But this is not the "all play kids league". If you get a chance to knock out opponent who is a premier offensive player, you take that chance. 10/10. It sucks when it potentially ends up in injury and I root for Laine to be fine. But what McCabe did was within the rules and 100% in line with the best interest of his team.

As some of you guys seem unhappy with Scheifele retaliating, you should not be. What do you expect? You stand up for your team-mates and especially rookies. Someone gloggs Eichel out with hard but clean check and Risto is one the ice, you guys really expect him NOT to rip the guys head off? I'm just glad that the Jets didn't go all head hunting cause Risto would have had to teach them a lesson. Seriously, the guy seems mental.

Anyways, here is hoping for a good season for you guys and the best of luck!

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
IN reference to Eichel, he definitely has distinct body language when things don't go his way on the ice. Very noticeable in the 1st and 2nd period yesterday. You don't even have to look for it to notice it.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
3rd period when Eichel created a scoring chance, wanted the puck back for an open shot, but didn't get it back he looked pretty pissed

I love the competitiveness that he plays with when he is out there

Definitely a frustrating game for him because if the puck bounced a different way a couple of times he would have had a multi-point night, but hey, that's hockey

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I've always liked the Sabres. Ever since my favorite goalie ever played for you guys (I don't think I have to name him). I love Eichel, that guy is a dynamo. Easily one of the most likeable players in the entire league. Good fans. Good team.

As a fan of Laine, hard to see that hit. But it was clean. You could probably argue that it was not necessary. But this is not the "all play kids league". If you get a chance to knock out opponent who is a premier offensive player, you take that chance. 10/10. It sucks when it potentially ends up in injury and I root for Laine to be fine. But what McCabe did was within the rules and 100% in line with the best interest of his team.

As some of you guys seem unhappy with Scheifele retaliating, you should not be. What do you expect? You stand up for your team-mates and especially rookies. Someone gloggs Eichel out with hard but clean check and Risto is one the ice, you guys really expect him NOT to rip the guys head off? I'm just glad that the Jets didn't go all head hunting cause Risto would have had to teach them a lesson. Seriously, the guy seems mental.

I agree on all points. The Jets reacted exactly the way I would want the Sabres to. No problem with them. It's just fortunate that they didn't run Samson or Jack into the boards and cause another injury. Sincerely hoping Laine returns quickly. Especially to prevent the ***** ass Leafs from winning a Calder. **** the Leafs.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
IN reference to Eichel, he definitely has distinct body language when things don't go his way on the ice. Very noticeable in the 1st and 2nd period yesterday. You don't even have to look for it to notice it.

He's a 20 year old young player who's having a hard sophomore season due to his ankle injury and he still has a lot to prove in his own mind as well as others.

Sidney Crosby used to get that way too, especially if he was getting hacked or held, hense his nickname "cindy crysby."

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I love Jack's personality, it's one thing he has over Mathews and McDavid who seem to have been manufactured in a factory. He's still a kid, he gets pissed off and frustrated the way lots of people do when we play video games or golf. People think his attitude/behavior is going to have a negative effect on teammates?

I see him much more involved in the game these days, less shifts where he casually just floats around waiting for a break, none come his way and then heads to the bench.

If he's giving teammates who mess up his passes dismissive looks or body language that says 'i'm too good for these plugs' that sure won't endear him to teammates but he seems to be well liked by his teammates.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
It looked bad from the first angle, and I thought it was a cross check too at first.

See 0:45, looks like Schiefele slides hands together to deliver more of a double glove thrust than anything.

Still not sure how Schiefele didn't end up with 2-5-10 he threw a half dozen punches?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Still not sure how Schiefele didn't end up with 2-5-10 he threw a half dozen punches?

Firstly awesome open ice hit , clean as a whistle.
As a Jets fan hard to see but hope Laine is more attentive going forward.
Scheifele' reaction was purely emotional and expected he's not a dirty player.
Buff is just being Buff all in all great come back by you guys well done

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

I concur. I think the head to head damaged both players. Laine going faster and McCabe being more prepared for the hit, Laine got the worst of it. He should be ok long-term ad long as he avoids these type of situations.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006

No issue with how he reacted...just thought said reaction warranted more than 2. Usually in similar situations they would have given McCabe 5 also just to get the two of them off the ice and a chance for things to cool down.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Yeah..I have no issue with how Jets responded even tho it was a clean hit. Have to. Sabre fans should know this better than any other fan base

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah..I have no issue with how Jets responded even tho it was a clean hit. Have to. Sabre fans should know this better than any other fan base

I agree. If someone lit up Eichel I'd hope the Sabres showed the same emotion as the Jets did.

I'm also glad the refs handled the situation properly awarding us with a PP instead of some kneejerk reaction off a big hit PK.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
As some of you guys seem unhappy with Scheifele retaliating, you should not be. What do you expect?

Concur. Miller/Lucic wasn't that long ago. Still love the response at Ottawa after the Drury hit. Not interested in discourse on what is wrong or right, or appropriate in such situations. Or a/b what is legal or clean or allowable, for that matter. No response would have been the absolute worst response. Sabres fans know from experience.

Hasek was a master at flopping - but even knowing that I still wanted to see at least one from each side in the box after any contact with him. I believe we couched it in terms like protecting your own and such.

Aside from that, Scheifele's actions brought a whistle, and staff were able to get on the ice and attend to Laine quickly. Exactly what you need to see.

To the Jets as well, and a speedy recovery to Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad