Post-Game Talk: #38: FLYERS 1 at Hurricanes 3, Monday, Dec. 31, 2018, 6:00 pm ET

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If Fletcher and Holmgren truly believe there’s a shot at the playoffs, then they sure aren’t doing much to move in that direction.

Which I’m 100% cool with. These guys have shown that unless G absolutely carries them, more than likely they aren’t winning more than a handful of games. Hell, then aren’t winning much even with superhuman G.

We have about 4 months left of this nonsense, and then a top pick 5 along with some new faces. The hope is next year they rebound hard, similar to after they signed Kimmo/Hartnell/Briere, etc.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Let the season just play out. The usage of Farmer and Simmonds have put the final nail in for me. Not recalling Myers, 100% refusing to adjust the top PP and gifting 17 and 93 their spots on PP all while being a league embarrassment, its hard to care at all. Weise continuing to play and also torpedo and also league worst PK unit, it just isnt worth caring too much.

All that being said, I do still get caught up during the actual games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let the season just play out. The usage of Farmer and Simmonds have put the final nail in for me. Not recalling Myers, 100% refusing to adjust the top PP and gifting 17 and 93 their spots on PP all while being a league embarrassment, its hard to care at all. Weise continuing to play and also torpedo and also league worst PK unit, it just isnt worth caring too much.

All that being said, I do still get caught up during the actual games.

Seriously, what does Myers have to do to get a call-up?

Why has our defense been so extraordinarily healthy these past 2 seasons?

:pullhair:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Which I’m 100% cool with. These guys have shown that unless G absolutely carries them, more than likely they aren’t winning more than a handful of games. Hell, then aren’t winning much even with superhuman G.

We have about 4 months left of this nonsense, and then a top pick 5 along with some new faces. The hope is next year they rebound hard, similar to after they signed Kimmo/Hartnell/Briere, etc.
That is what I am hoping for....the next half year to be like that year...except win the lottery.

Sell in the next 2 months: Simmonds, Raffl, Folin, Weal, a goalie if they are healthy(haha)
Recall Myers, NAK, Vorobyev and play Morin when healthy.
Have a draft draft
Make a splash in FA or trades

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
A couple of weeks ago many people here assumed that the coach was the problem. Others said "Wait. Hakstol may or may not be a good coach but after the typical short effect everything will be the same."

Well...

A couple of weeks ago many people here wrote that changing the icetimes of Sanheim and MacDonald/Hägg will make a big difference. Others were not so sure.

Well...

I will continue saying that usually things are not that simple.

Our young guns are not that great yet as many would like to see them. Nolan Patrick is a major disappointment but if you like keep on complaining about Hägg....

Some of our veterans are degessing rapidly. The roster development has been awful.

We can continue to hope that some of our talents will finally make big steps. Or we can try to improve with trades.
I would try a mixture. Move Jake and Simmer. Get rid of MacDonald if possible. Bring in another Gudas-type of defenseman and a speedy forward. Go tanking.
Good post. Human beings have a natural tendency to seek simple answers to complex problems. It would be convenient if everything were binary, but life is about gray areas.

Reactions: marcsson68

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That is what I am hoping for....the next half year to be like that year...except win the lottery.

Sell in the next 2 months: Simmonds, Raffl, Folin, Weal, a goalie if they are healthy(haha)
Have a draft draft

I can get behind this.

It's actually unfair at this point to Folin. He's an NHL defensemen. He's better than MacDonald and Hagg. Trade him for whatever so he can play, scratch Farmer, call up Myers. Profit.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
If Fletcher and Holmgren truly believe there’s a shot at the playoffs, then they sure aren’t doing much to move in that direction.

No matter what they think re: playoffs, if they don't believe MacDonald should be scratched, waived, traded, dropped off on the side of the road in another state, etc then they should be fired.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
No matter what they think re: playoffs, if they don't believe MacDonald should be scratched, waived, traded, dropped off on the side of the road in another state, etc then they should be fired.

Dropping MacDonald is assumed to be a positive direction to the playoffs. Keeping him has no value either way.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Let's look at what Fletcher has done so far..

-Sent down Goulbourne.
-Called up Varone.

-Called up Hart.

-Fired Hakstol.
-Named Gordon interim.

That's not a whole lot. I do like the bolded very much though.

- Keep MacDonald in the lineup

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yup...a contender would take Folin in a heartbeat.
I can get behind this.

It's actually unfair at this point to Folin. He's an NHL defensemen. He's better than MacDonald and Hagg. Trade him for whatever so he can play, scratch Farmer, call up Myers. Profit.

I know the players edm traded have had issues there, but a lot of players do. I would hope Folin carries more value, but that may not be the case. I also really wonder what kind of value Gudas carries. I personally think it just went up.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I also really wonder what kind of value Gudas carries. I personally think it just went up.
It has been said that the flyers are looking for a veteran defenseman to anchor the blue line. Those types of players are difficult to obtain and costly. Maybe for the last two seasons the Flyers were thinking that AMac would be that guy but that isn't going to happen; if anything, he'll be out of here soon. Gudas, OTOH, when he is playing like he has this season has shown that he can be a good veteran presence. The way that he paired with Sanheim at the start of the season was quite good. He might have more value to the Flyers than being a trading chip.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It has been said that the flyers are looking for a veteran defenseman to anchor the blue line. Those types of players are difficult to obtain and costly. Maybe for the last two seasons the Flyers were thinking that AMac would be that guy but that isn't going to happen; if anything, he'll be out of here soon. Gudas, OTOH, when he is playing like he has this season has shown that he can be a good veteran presence. The way that he paired with Sanheim at the start of the season was quite good. He might have more value to the Flyers than being a trading chip.
He has value to the flyers but if you figure Myers and Morin coming in then amac and likely Gudas will be going out. I guess it may be amac and then Gudas vs Hagg. That plus the longer this year goes the more it doesn’t matter. I am also hoping for a synergistic effect of trading Gudas and Simmonds to the leafs for a nice piece, something that may not come back on their own.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD

Have a draft draft
There is no reason to get rid of Raffl, he's the exact kind of player you want in your bottom 6. Agreed on all the rest. Just looking at what's potentially available on July 1st, who would you target?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is no reason to get rid of Raffl, he's the exact kind of player you want in your bottom 6. Agreed on all the rest. Just looking at what's potentially available on July 1st, who would you target?
I 100% disagree.

I like Raffl and so would a contending team for their playoff run. That is not us.

He made 2.35 a year. Are we really going to re-sign him for say 2-3 years at 2.5 million to be on the 4th line? That makes no sense at all.

Giroux Couts TK
JVR Patrick Jake
Lindblom Frost ????
Laughton ???? ????
Weise

That is the likely open spots entering next year.
We also have NAK who needs to clear waivers, so he likely takes that 4th line RW spot.
Vorobyev should be our 4th line C.
That leaves the #3RW spot as empty...with possibly Allison and Laczynski pushing for that spot.
Or and UFA signing or trades we could make.

Re-signing 4th liners who are going to make 2.5 million makes no sense. It's time to move on and replace from within with cheaper and hopefully faster/better players with upside.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
He has value to the flyers but if you figure Myers and Morin coming in then amac and likely Gudas will be going out. I guess it may be amac and then Gudas vs Hagg. That plus the longer this year goes the more it doesn’t matter. I am also hoping for a synergistic effect of trading Gudas and Simmonds to the leafs for a nice piece, something that may not come back on their own.
I'm not sure who will be the defensemen that will be going out. It would depend on what the return is. Hagg and Folin won't garner much.
JMO but I think that Scott/Fletcher want to make major moves. You can see from the recent games that these players don't produce wins when they should. No one on the roster should be taking out a long term lease. Some players look "safe" like G, Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Couturier, Hart and Patrick but one never knows. Who knew that Richards and Carter were going to be dumped when they were shuttled out to town?

Reactions: TheKingPin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The real question is does Rod still have his legendary pipes?

Oh, and the Canes clearly need grit, how can we swap Simmer for Svechnikov:sarcasm:

IMG_0210.JPG

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad