Prospect Info: #36 Jesper Boqvist (C/W)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
ANDERSSON was picked at 7 and is much more physically developed. Give Boquist some time to fill out before you dismiss him.

I didn't dismiss Boqvist, just the idea that his #'s are comparable.

You completely missed his point.

Andersson got PP time and a lot more ice time than Boqvist. Andersson is also a lot more polished which is likely why he got that time versus a smaller, skilled guy like Boqvist.

Obviously Andersson playing an important role on a SHL team as a draft eligible player is very impressive, but Boqvist's production when looked at as a production rate shows real potential for a diamond in the rough pick.

Regardless, they're not good prospects to compare to each other. They're very different types of players who will fulfill very different roles. Andersson looks to be your reliable all-situations player whereas Boqvist has the potential to be an offensive force.
I didn't miss his point. But you have to give Andersson the credit for earning more minutes and producing in those minutes.

A decent P/60 is not that impressive if you barely play.

And yeah Andersson went way higher so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I did not originate the comparison.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
He really has to bulk up. I mean this guy is so so so tiny...

He's just 18 years old and looks like he's maturing slowly. There's time. But I don't see him leaving for the NHL until he becomes a prominent player in the SHL. I'm thinking he'll be coming over in 3-4 years. That would be best for him and the Devils also.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think he'll be in North America within 2 years. whether it be AHL or NHL. They already signed Bratt and so he's going to be in the AHL in the 18-19 season after London this year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

He's just 18 years old and looks like he's maturing slowly. There's time. But I don't see him leaving for the NHL until he becomes a prominent player in the SHL. I'm thinking he'll be coming over in 3-4 years. That would be best for him and the Devils also.

He does still look a lot like a kid, younger than his years. He may have a bit more growth in him, height as well as mass. It'll be very interesting to see how he comes along

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'd be very surprised if he was not in the USA by year 3.

Possible he goes the Bratt route and he goes juniors next year? Get used to the smaller rinks?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If he has a decent year in the SHL I could see him coming over to play in the AHL. I'd be surprised if he played junior - top Swedish players usually do not do that. Bratt's a little different in that he's a 6th round pick and he's playing on a second division team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If he has a decent year in the SHL I could see him coming over to play in the AHL. I'd be surprised if he played junior - top Swedish players usually do not do that. Bratt's a little different in that he's a 6th round pick and he's playing on a second division team.
We will see, he could have a Sebastian Aho type assent. Similar skillsets and size. Between he and Zetterlund I hope one has a breakout season in the SHL.

Lias Andersson
Draft -1
SuperElit: 59 points in 37 games
SHL - 0 points in 22 games

Draft Season
SHL - 19 points in 42 games
WHL - 3 points in 7 games

Jesper Boqvist
Draft-1
SuperElit: 58 points in 38 games
SHL 1 point in 8 games

Draft Season
Allsvenskan: 12 points in 19 games
SHL: 6 points in 16 games

I'm not bashing Andersson but more so saying how impressive a prospect Boqvist is. Josefson and Tedenby came nowhere close to Boqvist's -1 draft year. This guy has serious offensive potential.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NHLe for Boqvist
2015/16 SuperElit: 31 points
2016/17 Allsvenskan: 24 points
2016/17 SHL: 20 points

Just for comparison:
Nico Hischier - 32 points
Michael McLeod - 31 points
Joey Anderson - 34 points

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I think some Canucks fan posted about how impressive his rates were and only got like 5 minutes a night in the SHL

dali

Oct 14, 2006
Tough building
I'd like Boqvist to spend at least two more years, possibly even three, in Sweden before coming overseas, establishing himself as a player and maturing both physically and mentally. Not saying I know what's best for the player. Just my initial gut feeling.

Artturi Lehkonen is a somewhat suitable comparison as a player and for the route I'd like Boqvist to take. After being drafted Lehkonen spent three seasons playing in Liiga and SEL before going to NHL. While he didn't immediately set the world on fire, he definitely held his own on his rookie season and took his spot as a fixture on Habs' lineup.

During the next couple of seasons there are number of guys auditioning for a NHL job plus guys ending their junior careers and going to AHL. It somewhat worries me that Boqvist would be lost in the numbers game between Newark and Binghampton. The Devils in general need to be smart and organised how to promote their young forwards.

Sure, a lot can happen within a single season with young players. But, as it stands, imho, The Devils should take their time with Boqvist. And he should also be patient about his career.

Toasterleavins*

Jan 23, 2013
Hackettstown NJ
I'd like Boqvist to spend at least two more years, possibly even three, in Sweden before coming overseas, establishing himself as a player and maturing both physically and mentally. Not saying I know what's best for the player. Just my initial gut feeling.

Artturi Lehkonen is a somewhat suitable comparison as a player and for the route I'd like Boqvist to take. After being drafted Lehkonen spent three seasons playing in Liiga and SEL before going to NHL. While he didn't immediately set the world on fire, he definitely held his own on his rookie season and took his spot as a fixture on Habs' lineup.

During the next couple of seasons there are number of guys auditioning for a NHL job plus guys ending their junior careers and going to AHL. It somewhat worries me that Boqvist would be lost in the numbers game between Newark and Binghampton. The Devils in general need to be smart and organised how to promote their young forwards.

Sure, a lot can happen within a single season with young players. But, as it stands, imho, The Devils should take their time with Boqvist. And he should also be patient about his career.

I agree. Definitely want to be patient with players like Boqvist, and he looks really really skinny.

He could always come over and play in one of the junior leagues here for a season or two as well if that was something he was interested in and get a head start on the smaller ice, although im not sure how or if that would work import draft wise for the canadian junior leagues? Moot point if he has no intention of doing that though I guess.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
I agree. Definitely want to be patient with players like Boqvist, and he looks really really skinny.

He could always come over and play in one of the junior leagues here for a season or two as well if that was something he was interested in and get a head start on the smaller ice, although im not sure how or if that would work import draft wise for the canadian junior leagues? Moot point if he has no intention of doing that though I guess.

I read that he has a super soft reputation. Never rush a player like that! He'll be running scared out of the league if he's brought up too quickly. Give him time to bulk up and hopefully learn to play hard. He could be a superstar if he can handle the physical play...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is Boqvist's brother definitely going to the CHL? I remember he got drafted this past draft, but wasn't sure if he committed.

I have to wonder if his brother comes over, maybe he potentially joins him for a year?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
NHLe for Boqvist
2015/16 SuperElit: 31 points
2016/17 Allsvenskan: 24 points
2016/17 SHL: 20 points

Just for comparison:
Nico Hischier - 32 points
Michael McLeod - 31 points
Joey Anderson - 34 points

Weird comparison since they played in vastly different leagues.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Weird comparison since they played in vastly different leagues.

NHLe is trying to convert those different leagues into an equivalent amount of NHL points. In theory that should allow you to compare players production across different leagues but it's pretty imperfect currently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad