Post-Game Talk: #36 | FLYERS 1 at Blue Jackets 2 (1-0 SO) | Sat., Dec. 23, 2017, 7:00 pm ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Well, at least that game didn't induce acute narcolepsy.

I'll give Coach Dave credit for mixing up the lineup, which seemed to get the guys skating.

The late game player decisions? Ah ... not so good.

Elliott with another good effort. He's giving us great value for a $2.75m cap hit.

Bob was terrific.

The Amac / Hagg pairing seemed to verify what has been pretty clear for awhile; Provy has been propping #47 up, big time.

Ghost is a really good hockey player, especially when the team plays an up-tempo game. Same with TK (who was the spark plug of our only goal).

Too bad we weren't in the Seth Jones derby. Can you image Seth and Provy as our top pairing for the next 10 years (and Seth at $5.4m for the next four and a half)?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I only watched the first period. Did I just read Dale Weise played two more minutes than a guy who is 5th in points in the league, higher than MacDavid? Guy who leads the league in assists?

I guess thats Hakstok's answer to finally creating interesting lines. "You f***ers really think I am going to play them? hahhaa!!"

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
I only watched the first period. Did I just read Dale Weise played two more minutes than a guy who is 5th in points in the league, higher than MacDavid? Guy who leads the league in assists?

I guess thats Hakstok's answer to finally creating interesting lines. "You ****ers really think I am going to play them? hahhaa!!"
Weise 15:29
Jake 18:13

Reactions: kudymen

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I don't think any of the stats such as hits, blocked shots, take aways, give aways, or anything else are even close to being accurate from this game.

Apparently Gudas had 0 hits and the Flyers only had 3 give aways, even though MacDonald had that many himself. By my estimation the Flyers were much more physical than they were against Buffalo, yet they had 9 hits tonight versus 17 against Buffalo. Seth Jones and Provorov both had clear give aways resulting in opposition chances, yet none were counted on the stat sheet. :whatever:

Some stats geek needs to tabulate these over the season and do a chi-square test for each team's building. :wedgie:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hak IS showing change and adjustment. It's even going a little quicker than last year.

Nonetheless the pace of change is relatively glacial, and he looks for any chance to backtrack rather than fully committing. That concerns me for a playoff series where you need to adapt game to game if not period to period.

You actually think Hakstol will even get us into the playoffs? I’m guessing in true-blue Flyers style they’ll be a top three outside looking in team, thus securing our wholly mediocre draft picks. Then they’ll wait way longer than they have to to fire our glaringly awful coaching staff (namely Hak and Lappy) thus throwing away the beginning of next season, if not the entire season.

God I hate this organization sometimes.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
“Hi Michael. Thanks for coming in. We’ve been really pleased with how you’ve turned it around since we put you with some better linemates. You’re scoring at a 40 goal pace and you’re driving play really well.”

“Thanks coach, that’s good to hear”

“So we’re putting you back with Weise and Filpulla”

“But....”

“And we’re going to try and get Amac out on the ice with you as often as possible too”

“Will he...”

“No, he won’t be with Provorov any more. Good luck”

Reactions: Tripod

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
im so annoyed with the post game, they act like they are better than the kings and they couldnt score more than 2 goals on a good goalie, they said they play great even though it's loss, a loss is a loss, there's no silver lining or morale victories, they are last in the standings for crying out loud. the only reason the flyers were in this game because of elliot, they really dont want to point the negatives, neither does the coach, that tells you alot why the flyers are always struggling. you dont want to fix the problems, keep doing the same things over and over again and you will just keep losing.

good coaches adjust, bad coaches just keep doing the same things.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would imagine they would still give the ole...

"Yeah those stats are great and all, but you have to trust us when we say the veteran presence heavily outweighs whatever facts you throw out there. Those facts aren't as reliable as our veterans, never will be. Having those facts become a regular thing, is a mistake.."

**** Dave stares and doesn't say a word, all he can think of is whether he watered the beets that morning or not****
Yea or throwing out “advanced stats”, saying we have our own analysis that is 98% if they are veteran and the other 2% if they are heavy.

Filp getting outshot 3-16, and leading the team in 5v5 time is stupid.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
There is no reason for Weisebiscuit to ever play more than 9 minutes. Ever.

Ever.

Ever.
If you want a top five pick you need to get him at least 15. Truth is someone who is a boat anchor is going to drag down a line because our roster just isn't playoff worthy. We have the same issue on D. I wasn't an advocate of Provy with Ghost but look at the difference any line looked with two really good puck handling D together vs Hagg and Amac who are two mediocre at best puck handlers. One got hemmed in all night the other attacked all night.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
im so annoyed with the post game, they act like they are better than the kings and they couldnt score more than 2 goals on a good goalie, they said they play great even though it's loss, a loss is a loss, there's no silver lining or morale victories, they are last in the standings for crying out loud. the only reason the flyers were in this game because of elliot, they really dont want to point the negatives, neither does the coach, that tells you alot why the flyers are always struggling. you dont want to fix the problems, keep doing the same things over and over again and you will just keep losing.

good coaches adjust, bad coaches just keep doing the same things.
Aren't the post game guys paid by the team? Of course they are going to wear orange colored glasses in all but the most egregious cases if they want to keep their jobs.
As an aside they competed hard, gave up one goal and had lots of good chances in a closely fought game. This isn't a championship caliber team and I'm sure the players know it so to keep them motivated during a long 82 game season i dont see whats wrong using silver linings and morale victories especially almost halfway into the season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you want a top five pick you need to get him at least 15. Truth is someone who is a boat anchor is going to drag down a line because our roster just isn't playoff worthy. We have the same issue on D. I wasn't an advocate of Provy with Ghost but look at the difference any line looked with two really good puck handling D together vs Hagg and Amac who are two mediocre at best puck handlers. One got hemmed in all night the other attacked all night.

What this game showed is anywhere you shift people, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.
And they don't have the right personnel yet.
Konecny on the first line still isn't a finisher, which is what G & C need, a scorer has to score, for all of Schenn's limitations, at RW he could plant the biscuit.
Patrick isn't ready for a 2C role, he's improving but probably a couple months a way from driving that line. Eventually, this could be a very good line.
And now you have a subpar 3rd line and you've weakened the 4th line.

Ghost with Provorov gives you a 1st pair.
Sanheim/Gudas will eventually give you a 2nd pair, but not yet.
And Hagg/Mac is at best a passable 3rd pair.
But that does make it easier to bring up Morin in the spring or Morin/Myers as a 3rd pair

This team is still a half dozen players short of being a legitimate playoff contender, but most of them are in Allentown right now (and the next wave will be at LHV next year).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise gave his TOI so we didn't have to watch Lehtera and Leier.

Ghost played 23 minute, 20 at ES.
Leier and Lehtera played 7 minutes at ES
Konecny had 17 ES minutes.

Voracek played 18 minutes - ES was reduced because Patrick is still being limited minutes wise - and will probably be for another month or two - he's physically not ready for a heavy load.
Or should they "push him" and maybe re-injure him? That would be a great way to use a potentially elite prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad