141970926776270_zps3e29edd5.jpg

141970690564342%201_zpsmyrv40z2.gif

Did my best with my limited time.

LG:pens!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So what did everyone think of our play without Sutter in the lineup? To me it felt like we didn't miss him too badly at even strength, but we did miss his ability to create offense on the pk.

Reason I ask is because obviously Sutter is the main piece most of us dangle in trade rumors.

To me the main area we'd miss him if we moved him out is the PK. Even strength we'd be fine without him and I think whatever winger we got back would most likely be worth the loss of Sutter's pking ability as we have more than enough other forwards capable of pking.

Interesting thing about Sutter being gone too would be it seems to mean more Crosby on the pk which some have clamored for in the past. Personally I don't get why MJ or any of the Pens coaches that have been here haven't tried Malkin on the pk. Yes he'd cheat and go for short handed opportunities all the time but I don't see why that would be a bad thing. He has a better stick and more reach than Crosby and I think he has more of a gas tank than Crosby so he'd be better able to take turnovers and turn them into short handed offense.

but now I'm rambling.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not clamoring for Geno on the PK. We'd have more SH opportunities, but he's not patient enough or dedicated enough positionally not too compromise it more often than its worth.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
So what did everyone think of our play without Sutter in the lineup? To me it felt like we didn't miss him too badly at even strength, but we did miss his ability to create offense on the pk.

Reason I ask is because obviously Sutter is the main piece most of us dangle in trade rumors.

To me the main area we'd miss him if we moved him out is the PK. Even strength we'd be fine without him and I think whatever winger we got back would most likely be worth the loss of Sutter's pking ability as we have more than enough other forwards capable of pking.

Interesting thing about Sutter being gone too would be it seems to mean more Crosby on the pk which some have clamored for in the past. Personally I don't get why MJ or any of the Pens coaches that have been here haven't tried Malkin on the pk. Yes he'd cheat and go for short handed opportunities all the time but I don't see why that would be a bad thing. He has a better stick and more reach than Crosby and I think he has more of a gas tank than Crosby so he'd be better able to take turnovers and turn them into short handed offense.

but now I'm rambling.

I think everyone and anyone with a brain wants to see Sid and Geno kill penalties. Every team sends their stars out against us and they create havoc and turnovers. Look at the graphic above, we've allowed 5 short handed goals against?? lol that's just terrible. It's because teams force us into turnovers and go the other way - other team's star players that is. No reason we can't do the same. I'm tired of watching Adams and Spaling and Goc sit around in the defensive zone 5 against 4 and just wait for the other team to make a mistake. NO. You FORCE the opposition to make a mistake, which Sid and Geno can and will do. You don't think teams won't be scared to turn it over against one of them? Oh you can bet your *** they would be. Sutter currently is the other player capable. The other above players I mentioned will NOT cut it in the playoffs on the PK. 2 minute shooting galleries do not equate to success. Our 4th line, and what it could become with Farnham being an absolute beast and the emergence of Rust, is actually pretty damn solid. Use them more! Get Farnham 8-10 minutes, not 4 and change. With that extra time, push down Sid and Geno's ES TOI and get them on the PK. It's really a joke they haven't been used for years - especially Geno. All he does is take away pucks from opponents. He would be so much fun to watch on the PK.

LionelHutz*

Song of the Day:

Retro game of the Day:

Throwback Pen of the Day:

martin_straka_119.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The last time Sid was a regular penalty killer (2007), he broke his foot blocking a shot. Blocking shots is an enormous part of killing penalties in 2014.

Considering how much bad luck with injuries this club has, why anyone would want to tempt fate by telling Sid and Geno to go take a PK Subban slapshot off the ankle is absolutely beyond me.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens will come out playing like ****, people will blame it on too much turkey. You know, the normal after a turkey day.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The last time Sid was a regular penalty killer (2007), he broke his foot blocking a shot. Blocking shots is an enormous part of killing penalties in 2014.

Considering how much bad luck with injuries this club has, why anyone would want to tempt fate by telling Sid and Geno to go take a PK Subban slapshot off the ankle is absolutely beyond me.

Yep, having Sid and Geno killing many regular season penalties isn't a good idea.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I'm not clamoring for Geno on the PK. We'd have more SH opportunities, but he's not patient enough or dedicated enough positionally not too compromise it more often than its worth.

you might want to tell that to team russia, paul maurice, and michel therrien

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wow Crosby is 9 points back of Voracek. That PP needs to fix itself out so we can start dominating teams on special teams.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

An injury that caused him to miss zero games. I don't even think it was on the PK when it happened. Other teams do it and those teams don't have half the injuries woes we do.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you might want to tell that to team russia, paul maurice, and michel therrien

Stats do not confirm that (although you have to go back to Therien era to see how he performed when he was used as a regular pker). His GA was not bad :

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=24&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

That's fine. According to that metric, Tanner Glass was our best PKer last year, and Adams has been better than Sutter and Goc this year:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=24&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

I don't like what I saw from Malkin on the PK.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Wow Crosby is 9 points back of Voracek. That PP needs to fix itself out so we can start dominating teams on special teams.

The refs took it upon themselves to dial back the Pens pp production. Not too much they can do. For whatever reason it certainly appears that the teams, who score more on pp's, get less chances. I've noticed this in other seasons with other teams, not just the Pens. I assume the ref's don't feel some of the calls are egregious enough to essentially award the team a goal, so they ignore more IMO. It almost seems worth it to tank the regular season pp (keep your percentage in an average range) in order to get more chances come playoff time

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm pumped for this game, even though our roster is tattered with injuries

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Tables turned a bit: Trots brings a defense first mentality and MJ's puck moving offense should be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce