35-15-3 Best season since the late 70s

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not really all that surprising for me, I think people tend to underestimate the Habs

Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty

Those 3 players are at the top of their positions compared to the rest of the NHL and their supporting cast is better than given credit for.

I still think they need another goal scorer, but the Habs are where they're supposed to be.

That being said, I can't shake this feeling that the other shoe is about to drop (knocks on wood)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Not really all that surprising for me, I think people tend to underestimate the Habs

Those 3 players are at the top of their positions compared to the rest of the NHL and their supporting cast is better than given credit for.

I still think they need another goal scorer, but the Habs are where they're supposed to be.

That being said, I can't shake this feeling that the other shoe is about to drop (knocks on wood)

I know that feeling :laugh: But like you said, Price, PK and Pacioretty are among the elite in their positions.

Price - Looking like a potential Vezina winning year. (knocks on wood)

Pacioretty - Plus/Minus isn't everything, but when you compare it to your own teammates it can be somewhat telling. He's been absolutely elite this year, playing in all situations, sniping like it's nobody's business.

Subban - Still a top 10 d-man in the league this year, and IMO he's a second half type player. We'll see his real value come playoff time.

Not to mention...

Markov - Still proving he can be a solid addition to any teams roster. The guy has been solid all year but flying under a lot of peoples radars.

The surrounding cast like you said is better than people give them credit for, at least on offense. Defensive side of things I find they've actually been bailed out by Price and the offense stealing us games. I remember a time where even being down by one goal, I'd almost expect the other team to bury us. Now a days, I expect our team to come back even when down by 2 in the third.

It's easy to believe in your team when they quite clearly believe in themselves. It's no surprise at least for me that we're having such a good season. I can't imagine how Price would look if we had a more favorable set of d-men in front of him in the lower pairings. I think he'd actually be even better in most stats.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I'm willing to give Therrien some credit but we have THREE ELITE PLAYERS. And then Markov, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. And then Eller, Prust and so many other useful depth players - yes including DD and Weise.

We have talent, the question is if they're being properly used.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
What's scary is that the core is hella young too.

Elite goalie, elite dman, elite goalscorer. Feels good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Not with Price playing as he is and I really don't see why he would suddenly start sucking. He's playing the way he was projected to play. It's not like he's a hot goalie playing like nobody predicted.
Price was selected 5th overall because our scouts saw this potential. He's simply living up to it.

With guys like Max-PK-Marky-Plek-Galch, I really don't see why this team would just collapse.

Pricef*

Habs on pace to get 113 points. Too bad we have such a sucky coach:sarcasm:

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
I'm willing to give Therrien some credit but we have THREE ELITE PLAYERS. And then Markov, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. And then Eller, Prust and so many other useful depth players - yes including DD and Weise.

We have talent, the question is if they're being properly used.

How many top teams DON'T have elite players?? Aside from maybe Nashville (whose goalie is giving ours a run in the best player in the league category) every other top team has top players. Sort of goes with the territory, no?

I don't get this "yeah, we're good but only because we have elite players" argument.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a little deceiving to say it's the best record since the 70s because of shootout wins. Teams in the late 80s were out there with the best or 2nd best record in the league. Tough to compare the way they had their points vs ours. Still, pretty damn good record though.

CanadianLover

Oct 27, 2014
Still I cannot shake the feeling that our run in the playoffs will be much shorter this year. Tampa, Detroit and Rangers are dangerous teams to play against.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How many top teams DON'T have elite players?? Aside from maybe Nashville (whose goalie is giving ours a run in the best player in the league category) every other top team has top players. Sort of goes with the territory, no?

I don't get this "yeah, we're good but only because we have elite players" argument.
Just curious, but you don't think Nashville has top players?

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Just curious, but you don't think Nashville has top players?

Actually, you're right. They do have top players aside from Rinne, in Weber, Forsberg, even Ribeiro and Neal.

Just another team that everyone thinks is where they are "just because of the goalie".

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Actually, you're right. They do have top players aside from Rinne, in Weber, Forsberg, even Ribeiro and Neal.

Just another team that everyone thinks is where they are "just because of the goalie".
Nashville's playing really well. They're more than just the goalie this season.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

'But if they had an average goalie.................'

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Pacioretty is a top5 winger, Subban is a top5 dman and Price is a top2 goalie.

Not every team has players peaking at such levels.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
President's Trophy > Stanley Cup :sarcasm:

Seriously though, that's pretty amazing. By all accounts, the vibe in the dressing room is amazing and all the guys are on the same page and want to play for each other. We may not be the most talented group but we seem to be one of the closest out there. If only Tampa Bay would take a freaking day off so we can pass them in the standings!

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Pacioretty is a top5 winger, Subban is a top5 dman and Price is a top2 goalie.

Not every team has players peaking at such levels.

Perhaps... but the top teams do. :sarcasm:

Hypotheticals all around. Would you trade Price, Subban and Pacioretty for...

Forsberg, Weber and Rinne?

Toews, Keith and Crawford?

Getzlaf, Perry and Anderson?

Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and Elliot?

Stamkos, Hedman and Bishop?

I'd probably pass on all of them, but it's not like they are completely out of whack, now are they? And in some of those deals I didn't even include the top three players from each team, as I wanted to get a goalie in. How about Patrick Kane instead of Crawford? Or Crosby, Malkin and Letang?

Good teams have good players. No apologies needed.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
1988-89 team went 53-18-9 for 115 points in 80 games.

Thats also with no OT/SO wins.... lets be conservative and say they would go 4-5 in the shootout/OT (4 extra points)
Lets also get them to play 82 games to even things up in this comparison. We'll give them one win out of two games to end the year. So thats an extra six points.
I also looked to see if they had any OT losses that year (OT losses were 0 points in 1989). They did not, they were 2-0-9 in OT games.

That means we'd need 121 points to be as good as the 88-89 season.

So no, I don't think this is our best regular season since the 70s.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
The real question is, how many more points would we have if we had Babcock as our headcoach ? I say we'd be close to a 164 points pace.

This team needs a new coaching staff to play to their full potential, every loss is on our baddie coaches, and every wins is despite our coaching staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00