GDT: [#34] Dallas Stars in the Wilderness

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
First star of the game has to be Lindy Ruff. I think if we leave Kari in we lose. Great coaching and discipline tonight.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Felt like a playoff game, great job by the Stars. Niemi deserves a ton of credit too, goes in cold to save 30 of the 31 shots he faced, have to think he'll be in against the Hawks.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
Felt like a playoff game, great job by the Stars. Niemi deserves a ton of credit too, goes in cold to save 30 of the 31 shots he faced, have to think he'll be in against the Hawks.

I concur. Niemi has to be a go tomorrow.

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
First star of the game has to be Lindy Ruff. I think if we leave Kari in we lose. Great coaching and discipline tonight.

It would have been an automatic loss last year with no one to cover for it. They haven't received stellar goaltending but just average seems to do the job in the regular season. January has always been tough so hopefully they'll buckle up.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
It would have been an automatic loss last year with no one to cover for it. They haven't received stellar goaltending but just average seems to do the job in the regular season. January has always been tough so hopefully they'll buckle up.

Nill looks like a genius running this tandem.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
12368998_1256309677716451_2427804231997908906_n.jpg

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
That whole organization is so in love with its own history, almost to a Flyers level, that it is bizarre they aren't trotting out the same crew they had in that first Dallas visit to Minnesota that they reference on the Wild broadcast every time we play them. Unless the problem is that they are all now vital team employees who can't be spared for an alumni game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, interesting that they pick the North Stars sweater for the outdoor game. We sell them in our pro shops, so I thought we did own the rights. But, the Stars are a class organization, and if the Wild asked, I bet the Stars simply granted permission. Besides, if the NHL won't let the Stars play in an outdoor game, at least their old sweaters can represent them, no?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
31 Antti Niemi 22 Games 19 Starts GAA 2.42 SV% 912 Shutouts 2 Record 14-5-2
32 Kari Lehtonen 16 Games 15 Starts GAA 2.66 SV% 910 Shutouts 0 Record 11-2-0

If you buy that 40% through the season, you are what you are, it seems Ruff favors Niemi slightly, and he has slightly better stats.

Kari has had some long stretches of very good play and does have the better winning record, but the eye test continues to fail him. Ruff apparently knows when Kari is off, and haven been given the gift of a second goaltender, knows to pull Kari fast.

My guess is this trend line continues, and Niemi starts the playoffs as the No. 1

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The quick hook Kari gets is nothing like how long Niemi gets to fight through stuff. Niemi gives up 3 in the 1st vs Minnesota and plays the entire game, Kari gives up 2 and gets pulled after 8 minutes. It isn't like those weren't good shots or the team was playing great and Kari was the sole problem.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
What I've noticed since last year is that when Kari gets shots over the shoulder, usually his glove side, he does not raise his elbow up "with" his shoulder, just his shoulder, like he's shrugging. The new goalie coach is teaching him to stop the "second" shot, not just the first. Both men are playing better, but no goalie is perfect. Being this good, we as fans have gotten used to so much winning, we won't tolerate any loss, much less a poor performance from any player. Kari, get the elbow up higher, not just the shoulder!

Addendum: In the big scheme, no matter which goalie starts, the Dallas Stars have two of the best "backup goalies" around!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad