Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Interesting.
It might just be Matthews has to lose shoulder joints. It is pretty common problem though more common is that you have to little space there that can lead to many rotator cuff problems.

3 shoulder injuries at he's age start to seem more than coincident. Though, they still might be.

Whats more easy to rehab and fix long term? I know some guys with shoulder separation issue who has undergone operation but they Dont exactly play in the NHL. Rotor cuff seems more treatble from a professional athelete point of view and is more about movement.

Sucks for AM, Toronto and NHL if this keeps happening

Reactions: hullsy47

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
txkf2zq.jpg

Reactions: behemolari

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Trouba was a force all night. I was really impressed with him, I would trade Nylander for that guy in a heartbeat.

It was a bit of a fluke hit, Trouba caught him perfectly for a separation.

Lols with the guy who said Kessel never gets hurt. Its true, I mean he had a ball cut out of his body, which is pretty outrageous, but in the NHL, the guy is a jellyfish.

I think Matthews will be hanging out with Joffrey Lupul, another fantastic player, who is now a pariah, but I am not interested in giving this guy a big contract. I think he is damaged goods and I have said on many occasions, last season, that we should have traded him for a Lindros return. But ohhhhh no, fanbase sheep said no.

Well look what we have now? A guy who appears to not be able to take a hit in the shoulder area.

Ach.... Its Gary Nylund all over again.

Imagine what we could have gotten for this guy in a trade?

Two bum shoulders now? Dubas, you going to fly to Zurich and cut a deal with his agent soon? For a guy who plays 55 games a year?

I think not. Tonight just cost Matthews huge money.

Hint to the Leafs, start drafting guys like Gabriel Landeskog. Physical specimens who can take a hit.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Would you it a ****ing rest. Not every body's body reacts to force the same. It's always the basement boys that are first to comment when someone gets hurt.

People like you who are basically calling Matthews a *****, clearly have never played sports ever or have injured your shoulder. Any type of force can injure your shoulder. I've had a separated shoulder, I've had a rotator cuff injury and a torn labrum. Shoulder injuries are not easy to deal with and can happen so easily. It's one of the body's most loose joints. That's how we have so much mobility in our arms.

Yeah he likely has a torn labrum or rotator cuff. I had the surgery my self which is essentially required. My recovery for the labrum was a 3-4 months but I have re-injured it. The good thing is in hockey you can get back to 98 percent. If this is baseball and you are required to throw a baseball or dive for a football, your career is in jepordy. Max Pentecost in the blue jays system has always struggled with shoulder injuries. Matthews will deal with it his whole life im sure but he can still carve out a nice career. He's not throwing baseballs he's shooting pucks which is a bonus. He will have to adjust his playing style though (when he can.)

Reactions: francis246

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yeah he likely has a torn labrum or rotator cuff. I had the surgery my self which is essentially required. My recovery for the labrum was a 3-4 months but I have re-injured it. The good thing is in hockey you can get back to 98 percent. If this is baseball and you are required to throw a baseball or dive for a football, your career is in jepordy. Max Pentecost in the blue jays system has always struggled with shoulder injuries. Matthews will deal with it his whole life im sure but he can still carve out a nice career. He's not throwing baseballs he's shooting pucks which is a bonus. He will have to adjust his playing style though (when he can.)

Those injuries take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. Better than a concussion but not good.

It's unfortunate that he's got weak shoulders.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I have gone on record this guy should have been traded for Strome, Domi and OEL, but, ohhhh Leafnation didn't like that one. Guy has a bum upper body.

His price went down considerably tonight, anyone with a normal upper body should have taken that and just driven on.

Even though we are 8-3, Micheal Nylander is feeling more confident.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Those injuries take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. Better than a concussion but not good.

It's unfortunate that he's got weak shoulders.

They can heal in 6 weeks but not play physical contact in 6 weeks. It it takes a full year to get back to 98 percent. I came back early and I reinjured it. Im curious to see how leafs doctors deal with this

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Jets fan coming in peace (note: I like Kapanen, came here to check after his GWG last night).

IMO anyone calling Matthews "injury prone" because he can't take a hit like that: he was stickhandling shoulder down and didn't expect the hit. Also, Trouba had quite a lot of speed and he hit Matthews directly in the shoulder because AM was leaning to left. Calling that a "bump" is like calling a 10ft deep pit a "pothole".

His injury history may get someone worried, but the injury last night was not a cause for calling him weak.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Jets fan coming in peace (note: I like Kapanen, came here to check after his GWG last night).

IMO anyone calling Matthews "injury prone" because he can't take a hit like that: he was stickhandling shoulder down and didn't expect the hit. Also, Trouba had quite a lot of speed and he hit Matthews directly in the shoulder because AM was leaning to left. Calling that a "bump" is like calling a 10ft deep pit a "pothole".

His injury history may get someone worried, but the injury last night was not a cause for calling him weak.

Well said, like did these insane posters actually see the force generated in that collision? Good games this week, you guys have a very strong team :)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

It was a good hit. Trouba is a big boy, so is Matthews. But, Auston has to expect contact there. He just does. That said, it didn't look like much tbh. Just got him in the wrong spot I guess. I'm not worried at all, Matthews is a bulldog much like Tavares. Anyone who thinks he can't take contact is blind. Players get hurt, it happens. It's a contact sport. I swear some people have never played hockey or contact sports here. You get hurt smashing into another large human being. It happens. Its inevitable.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Reminds me so much of Lupul the way he gets injured. Just random hockey plays and boom he is out.

A non-hockey example would be Tulo with the Jays. Not a good sign, injury prone guys like this never reach their potential and their careers end early.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
It was a good hit. Trouba is a big boy, so is Matthews. But, Auston has to expect contact there. He just does. That said, it didn't look like much tbh. Just got him in the wrong spot I guess. I'm not worried at all, Matthews is a bulldog much like Tavares. Anyone who thinks he can't take contact is blind. Players get hurt, it happens. It's a contact sport. I swear some people have never played hockey or contact sports here. You get hurt smashing into another large human being. It happens. Its inevitable.

I disagree with this. Take someone like Kadri who gives and takes violent hits every game but doesn't get injured.

There are simply people that are prone to getting injuries and Matthews appears to be one of them.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I disagree with this. Take someone like Kadri who gives and takes violent hits every game but doesn't get injured.

There are simply people that are prone to getting injuries and Matthews appears to be one of them.
Matthews takes much more punishment than Kadri. Matthew's has a target on his back like Crosby does. Nobody shadows Kadri like they do with an elite player.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Matthews takes much more punishment than Kadri. Matthew's has a target on his back like Crosby does. Nobody shadows Kadri like they do with an elite player.

Matthews get played closer but he doesn't take the abuse that Kadri does. People take runs at Kadri all game every game because he is disliked. He does the same in return. He gets up every single time.

If you are looking for an elite player how about Alex Ovechkin. Matthews missed more games last season than Ovechkin has in a single season in his whole career.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Reminds me so much of Lupul the way he gets injured. Just random hockey plays and boom he is out.

A non-hockey example would be Tulo with the Jays. Not a good sign, injury prone guys like this never reach their potential and their careers end early.
Lupul was made of glass. All of Matthews injuries hes been hit pretty damn hard. It's a contact sport. You know who else has missed plenty of time? Crosby. Malkin. Getzlaf. Scheifle. Carter. Shall I keep going? Players get hurt, it comes with the job. Yet, i dont hear you saying those players I mentioned as injury prone.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Malkin had injured his shoulder multiple times before scoring 50 goals and 112 points in 2012. Matthews will be ok.

Malkin is a good comparable actually. Extremely injury prone player. He's only played 2 full seasons and those were his 2nd and 3rd of his career. Still manages to be elite when he actually plays.

I don't think it's a stretch to say we can expect 60-70 games played a year from Austin much like Malkin.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Lupul was made of glass. All of Matthews injuries hes been hit pretty damn hard. It's a contact sport. You know who else has missed plenty of time? Crosby. Malkin. Getzlaf. Scheifle. Carter. Shall I keep going? Players get hurt, it comes with the job. Yet, i dont hear you saying those players I mentioned as injury prone.

They are all injury prone yes, and so is Auston.

And as mentioned a guy like Ovechkin is not.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Matthews get played closer but he doesn't take the abuse that Kadri does. People take runs at Kadri all game every game because he is disliked. He does the same in return. He gets up every single time.

If you are looking for an elite player how about Alex Ovechkin. Matthews missed more games last season than Ovechkin has in a single season in his whole career.
Kadri falls like he gets shot on every single hit. Lets not pretend hes the norm. Ovechkin is also a freak of nature, again, hes not the norm. And yes, Matthew's absolutely takes way more abuse than Kadri does by a mile. Matthew's gets ran because he's elite, that's a hell of a lot different than the face wash Kadri gets in scrums after a whistle. People zero in on Matthews, not Kadri. Elite players put up with a lot more than NHL regulars. People say Crosby is a crybaby, but if you ever see an iso of him he puts up a ton of abuse. Just like Auston.

Reactions: BallardEra

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They are all injury prone yes, and so is Auston.

And as mentioned a guy like Ovechkin is not.
There's a big difference between prone and being targeted. Any person is prone when they're putting up with twice the abuse that their peers are. Connor Brown or Ellis would be injured every 5 games if they were 40 goal scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad