Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lol bump? Dude, Matthews was driving towards the net, stick-handling the puck (loose arms, not bracing for impact) while Trouba charged like a raging bull towards a red cape.

I admit I know nothing about physics but a 202 lbs object colliding to an oncoming 223 lbs object should create some massive force impact don't you think?

That’s why every nba and nfl game has whole new set of players....

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Who's back in the lineup for the Leafs first, Nylander or Matthews?

Current odds:

Nylander: 3/1
Matthews: 2/3
Same Game: 10/1

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
And just how does that matter? Are we using ICD10 codes here?

Here's what you said:

No.
This was a question going into the season; how would AM’s back and shoulder fair this year?
That little bump wouldn’t normally cause a serious injury. If it did, well then.....

It's not that hard to understand why I pointed out it's the othert shoulder. You questioned if his injured shoulder would fair well this year, and used tonights injury to validate that....I said it wasn't his previously injured shoulder, it was his other arm.

People have two of them (well, most people). If my left elbow is injury prone, and I hurt my right elbow falling down, would you say "damn, your elbow is injury prone, hope you didn't hurt it?". Probably not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Here's what you said:

It's not that hard to understand why I pointed out it's the othert shoulder. You questioned if his injured shoulder would fair well this year, and used tonights injury to validate that....I said it wasn't his previously injured shoulder, it was his other arm.

People have two of them (well, most people). If my left elbow is injury prone, and I hurt my right elbow falling down, would you say "damn, your elbow is injury prone, hope you didn't hurt it?". Probably not.

If you had two bad shoulders and a bad back and missed significant time at work what would you call you?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm a huge Matthews fan but even I have to admit that it is a little concerning that he gets hurt off big hits.
Plus he disappeared off the scoresheet the last 4 games.
Dont get me wrong I still think he's the best player on this team but his salary better be reasonable next year.

Take out the injury and focusing on the bold. I notice this post (sorry to pinpoint it on yours specifically but I've seen so many now) and many excited non-leaf fans mentioning this little streak (its the only defence they have when to try and cure their saltiness).

1. Everyone has scoreless streaks. 4 (or 3 and a half) really isn't a big deal. You near double digits, yes, it becomes a a big deal. But 4?

2. Its one thing if the player is playing horribly during this slump. He may not be on fire, but he hasn't been horrible at all. He could and maybe should have had an assist on Kapanen's goal in Winnipeg. He hit the post tonight. Etc, etc...

3. If you told me after 11 games he would have 16 points, I would not have believed you. That is a lot.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If your current avatar along with your posts in this thread aren't enough to prove you are on our board to cause ****, I don't know what is.

I just changed it... I started with Joey’s bat flip, then the punch from Odor .... the Leafs Ring.....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm a huge Matthews fan but even I have to admit that it is a little concerning that he gets hurt off big hits.
Plus he disappeared off the scoresheet the last 4 games.
Dont get me wrong I still think he's the best player on this team but his salary better be reasonable next year.

He was the best player on the ice on Weds.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Can’t dimiss the injury prone label at this point.

Honestly sucks not only as a Leafs fan but as a hockey fan - Matthews abilities gives him so much potential that you want to see what he could do over full healthy seasons

I hope it’s not a long term lingering thing

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Definitely concerned about his shoulder. His reaction didn’t look good at all. The injury prone narrative is a bit overblown. He has had played 155 games out of 175.

Reactions: hockeyes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is Auston Matthews Joffrey Lupul’s son? That was such a routine play and now he’s probably out for 6-8 weeks. f***ing ridiculous.

For good measure I hope someone puts Trouba on his ass.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Sometimes strength is it's own downfall. People that are less sturdy get knocked sideways, the force gets transfered into motion. Trucks like Matthews absorb the blow, and that energy has to go somewhere. Sometimes it's too much for the human body to handle.

Yes. If the person hit had been a little smaller or a little less sturdy on his skates and gone careening into the boards people would have understood how hard this hit was. But instead they don't think that this was much of a hit because they have no understanding of physics, force, energy transfer. Two big players, both going very fast, with Matthews in the more vulnerable position, concentrating on trying to score, while the other was concentrating on trying to run him over. Matthews absorbed the hit with almost no give - that doesn't happen with hits that hard. Almost every other player in the league would have either gone toppling into the goalie or the boards with the energy being dispersed along the way. It is his strength and sturdiness that was his downfall here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This injury prone thing is over blown. also, I really don’t undertand how hockey fans can cheer when someone like Matthews gets injured. I can see fans cheering when Kesler or Marchand but not Matthews. Then again, these forums are filled with little kids or just very immature envy drivien fans. Not going to let the few to bother me.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hopefully he’s back soon. It was a really big hit, I got nervous the second I saw Matthews cutting to the net with Trouba steaming in, and for good reason.

Good thing it’s the other shoulder - hopefully not separated, just tweaked. He didn’t look TOO hurt right after, fingers crossed it’s a minor injury. Matthews will have to get a bit more cautious - he’s a big strong dude, but his shoulders are a weakness, needs to be more careful in the real danger areas like this. Guys like Trouba will always be looking to take runs at him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All things considered, that was a pretty routine NHL play. Matthews is really looking like a liability when it comes to being able to handle routine hits in the NHL. The double Clutterbuck hit from last winter was also a nothing play. If he's out for any length of time, which he probably will be, that's just a headache.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Ha ha ha ...wonder what would have happened had he actually hit him rather than bumping into him?

Given that the severity of the injury is unknown and that this is a Leafs board...What part of the hit on Matthews and his departure from the game and the possible length of his recovery is funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot