Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
But let’s trade Kadri
That's should stop now ;). It will really hurt not having Matthews, but I compare it too last year....Tavares slots in for Matthews and Kadri moves back up to 2nd center. Lindholm takes 3 and the Goat 4.

The team will have to tighten up, but I suspect Kadri steps up big time. Interestingly, he was on 1050 Thursday and mentioned he loves when he gets a chance to play up the lineup, he won't disappoint.

Hurry back Matthews, in the meantime we have to play hungry. Adversity is a funny thing sometimes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I just hope the teams doesn't try to dust this over as more of a day to day injury, or a week and re-evaluate thing, to drag it out and give us hope he'll be back soon when in reality he's out for a month or two.

I have a bad feeling he'll be out for awhile ... Like a couple of months. Nothing about that play and his reaction looked good to me.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
I just hope the teams doesn't try to dust this over as more of a day to day injury, or a week and re-evaluate thing, to drag it out and give us hope he'll be back soon when in reality he's out for a month or two.

I have a bad feeling he'll be out for awhile ... Like a couple of months. Nothing about that play and his reaction looked good to me.

That was my first reaction as well. His reaction combined with that they announced right away he wouldn’t play Monday doesn’t look good.

On a personal level, even more disappointed, going to the Dallas game on Thursday and Columbus in a couple weeks and was hoping to see my favourite player.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
AM does seem to be a bit Fragile as he grows into that body that will one day be a man. Another big man that has had his fair share of injuries but still looks great.............Gino Malkin. these things happen to the best of players. Crosby with his numerous years of various injuries (mainly concussion) is still playing some of the best hockey of his career.

The only player in the league immune to injuries is jellyfish Kessel. With no muscle on his frame it is impossible to get injured ha ha. That hit on AM to Kessel would be like hitting a marshmallow.
I found this picture of Kessel wandering the streets of New York.

tumblr_oq7dkjZLWU1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One thing I have learned over the years, don't panic over injuries. I thought Kuznetsov was done after game two of the Final and he came back and had his best game in game three.

Get back soon Auston, I picked you in my Richard pool. ;)

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
I don't know if anyone could have taken a hit like that and be fine to take their next shift. The problem is Matthews didn't care to protect himself from Trouba. He was stick handling his way to the net and probably should have taken his left arm off the stick before the impact happened. The shoulder was very vulnerable at that moment.

I wouldn't call him injury prone but he's gonna have to learn to protect himself better in the future. Opposing players are gonna try and murder him any chance they get.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Malkin is a good comparable actually. Extremely injury prone player. He's only played 2 full seasons and those were his 2nd and 3rd of his career. Still manages to be elite when he actually plays.

I don't think it's a stretch to say we can expect 60-70 games played a year from Austin much like Malkin.
I sure hope this is not the case. I sure ain't paying a guy $12mm AAV if he's missing 10-20% of the games every year.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Next time it'll be Marner. Unless you provide equal payback it'll keep happening, rookie GM. I didn't see Laine get carried off the ice. Unless that's the idea Kyle, have your best players limping along and unproductive at contract time.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Next time it'll be Marner. Unless you provide equal payback it'll keep happening, rookie GM. I didn't see Laine get carried off the ice.

I do wish we had a bit of a sand paper. Our team is gonna get bullied around otherwise. Every team knows and will okay the body going forward. They tried that with Marner last year against Boston.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I do wish we had a bit of a sand paper. Our team is gonna get bullied around otherwise. Every team knows and will okay the body going forward. They tried that with Marner last year against Boston.

Even if you leave the intimidation and deterrence factors out of it, it’s still a useful part of a team’s defence. At the very least you can opposition to force their play or disrupt their cycle.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I am, as long as he plays in the playoffs!!! We can get there without him.
He played injured in the playoffs last year, and he sucked. Unfortunately you can't control when injuries happen.

The Leafs medical staff and sports science guys need to take their time and evaluate how and why these injuries are happening. Maybe they can have him do more specifically targeted workouts designed to strengthen the weaker areas. They can teach Auston techniques to avoid the devastating injuries by being aware of who's around him and adjusting impact angles etc.

They can't let this trend continue.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It really has nothing to do with that. Ive have multiple shoulder injuries on both sides in my younger career. Sometimes it's just stupid luck or bad timing, but getting hit with that kind of force just behind the shoulder would probably knock out most players.
both my shoulders are f**ked too, hopefully AM's just popped it out and needed to be "put back" into his shoulder socket. Procedure's painful, but not debilitating, the real issue is once your shoulders been dislocated the joint is always predisposed to being dislocated again, and again.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Next time it'll be Marner. Unless you provide equal payback it'll keep happening, rookie GM. I didn't see Laine get carried off the ice. Unless that's the idea Kyle, have your best players limping along and unproductive at contract time.

I didn't see Laine at all, and so haven't a lot of people, he makes Kessel look like Bergeron he's that one dimensional. Even when he gets like 32-27-59 this year he's still asking for ten million a year.

Injury sucks and it is what it is, but breathe and realize we have a very competent team even without Matthews, and that also he's going to be playing for at least another fifteen years.

If nothing new has come in since the time between writing and posting this post, I'm gonna be a pop optimistic and say stinger and he misses three games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Who's back in the lineup for the Leafs first, Nylander or Matthews?

Current odds:

Nylander: 3/1
Matthews: 2/3
Same Game: 10/1
AM getting injured should have nothing to do with resigning Nylander. Nylander's not playing because he isn't worth what he wants. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: glue

great

Apr 14, 2018
I’d rather he rests now, and his body be in good shape during the playoffs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Reminds me so much of Lupul the way he gets injured. Just random hockey plays and boom he is out.

A non-hockey example would be Tulo with the Jays. Not a good sign, injury prone guys like this never reach their potential and their careers end early.

It's premature to compare to him Lupul. He's still very young and hopefully, he can take steps to strengthen his shoulders to prevent this from becoming a recurring problem.

I am concerned as well, but the good news is that Matthews does not rely on playing a physical game to be effective. He relies on speed, skill, and being elusive. If he rehabs properly there's no reason to think that his career will be shortened.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This makes me want to sign William a lot more. I feel bad for AM34. His contract just got a lot more difficult
as if Nylander would have been able to take that hit, oh wait Willie doesn't go to the tough areas of the rink, forget what I was saying..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad