Injury Report: #34 Auston Matthews - Cleared to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

Get well AM and pls never read this thread or this forum..a big part of our fanbase is a disgrace and i understand why everyone hates us..
So much this, how miserable do you have to be to react like this, I can't believe I'm surprised :laugh:

Reactions: Leafs1993

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
a center group of Tavares-Kadri-Lindholm-Gauthier isn't overwhelming, but it really doesn't look bad either especially with Gauthier finally playing like an NHL'er. Matthews can take his time and get right, this team is deep enough to weather the storm

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Next time it'll be Marner. Unless you provide equal payback it'll keep happening, rookie GM. I didn't see Laine get carried off the ice. Unless that's the idea Kyle, have your best players limping along and unproductive at contract time.

I guess you didn't see in his rookie year when he got knocked out cold against buffalo and got a pretty significant concussion...

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
And what did Scheifele and Wheeler do?

They jumped mccabe after they saw he was laid out on the ice, at the time mathews got hit, nobody knew the extent of it.

Do you really think if we had an enforcer it would have prevented the injury? Matthews went hard to the net a Trouba protected it. Is Trouba gonna give him a free lane to the net for fear of retaliation if we had a enforcer?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I'm a huge Matthews fan but even I have to admit that it is a little concerning that he gets hurt off big hits.
Plus he disappeared off the scoresheet the last 4 games.
Dont get me wrong I still think he's the best player on this team but his salary better be reasonable next year.
Well if he is out for the season then I guess you will pay the going rate for someone on pace to score 75 goals and 119 points if he wasn't hurt.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
If we had more toughness (or some) it would deter teams from taking liberties. The hit on AM was a hockey play and that's alright. But, teams will target our talent knowing that's the only way to slow them down or take them out. You cannot protect your players with a policeman or two but what you can do is have a simple chat with the opposition on faceoffs. You imply, you target our guys and we will target yours, simple done.

We have absolutely nobody of that ilk and Kadri isn't big enough to play that role nor do we want him too. Tucker was maniacal and teams feared his unpredictability. He wasn't the biggest guy in the world but he would wreck you without hesitation especially if you did something unscrupulous to his team mates. Every team in the league has someone to take care of business if need be except this one.

We have enough skill and talent now let's protect our investment. Reeves would have been a nice choice but that ship has sailed. We are winning at the moment but this team has warts and other teams will wear us down especially in a hard fought 7 game series.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I like toughness in our lineup and I have no problem with Trouba’s hit on Matthews.

Bummer that Matthews got hurt but it was clean and solid hockey play by a good defender.

Hoping for a speedy Matthews recovery......

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
If you go to the tough gritty areas of the ice, you will get hit. Staying on the perimeter is what ensures less contact.

Having a tough guy to scare you will not stop opposing players from hitting players in those tough, gritty areas of the ice.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
both my shoulders are f**ked too, hopefully AM's just popped it out and needed to be "put back" into his shoulder socket. Procedure's painful, but not debilitating, the real issue is once your shoulders been dislocated the joint is always predisposed to being dislocated again, and again.
Yes i have had mine dislocated twice (hockey related ) and its always been loose. The Doc said one more disco and i would need surgery to tighten it up. Luckily that third disco hasn't come but it tends to slightly unalign with certain movements.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
That was just a clean solid hit by Trouba, not his fault that it was an awkward hit.

Good on Matthews tho to drive the net, I feel like that was missing. Injuries are the byproduct of playing in the toughest area of the ice to get to with the puck.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
While putting the injury-prone label on him at this point is premature, at what point do you start to get a bit concerned over the type of injuries he's had? Last year he had the mystery concussion that was hidden for a few weeks, + the shoulder injury that limited him come playoff time. While he played 82 games he rookie season, if he's going to play the type of style where he misses ~20 games a year, is that worth paying McDavid money for? I love the guy, but even in his draft year, he had a back injury that caused him to miss some significant time. I just hope this isn't like Clark where he's a great player but the injuries just pile up and his potential isn't reached, which would be the most leafs luck ever.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Yup, its not a Leaf season until there is a AM injury. Say what you will its starting to become predictable. Believe I even stated last season I was getting worried this would be a yearly thing with him.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
protection doesn't exist people.

Vancouver spent the offseason buying grit and their best player still got ragdolled by Matheson

A facepuncher being on the roster would not have prevented Trouba from hitting Matthews

I wonder why McDavid doesn't get ragdolled.

We don't need goons, we need toughness. I think the Jets are an excellent example of this mix of size and skill.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Bigger bodied elite talents of the past had a simple trick up their sleeves. I'm talking about players like Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Rocket Richard and even the less aggressive ones like Mats Sundin, Mario Lemieux, Jean Beliveau. All of these guys would raise up their arms in a flash to contact the head area of the opposition player taking an aggressive run at them. I suspect you could still get away with this defensive move with at most a 2 minute penalty. Highly de-motivating to whiny tough guys like Tromba taking healthy runs at you.

Reactions: behemolari

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Bigger bodied elite talents of the past had a simple trick up their sleeves. I'm talking about players like Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Rocket Richard and even the less aggressive ones like Mats Sundin, Mario Lemieux, Jean Beliveau. All of these guys would raise up their arms in a flash to contact the head area of the opposition player taking an aggressive run at them. I suspect you could still get away with this defensive move with at most a 2 minute penalty. Highly de-motivating to whiny tough guys like Tromba taking healthy runs at you.

In today's game you'd get suspended for doing that.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
We do need some toughness on this team, there is just not enough of it. Say what you want about Polak but he was the only guy back there that would lay the body. I hope Borgman develops since he could be a guy that can add there. It is hard for any team to match the toughness Winn has but who cares, Winn has shown they can't handle team speed. We beat them twice in a week.

That being said, this type of hockey is playoff hockey and AM needs to adjust his game a little to minimize big hits against him.

member 262271

I've figured it out, if the leafs can sign a guy that just holds his clenched fist out whenever an opposing player tries to hit one of the stars, problem solved!

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Watching the replay, Matthews gets hit just as he gets his shot off and is in a very awkward position with his shoulder dropped and outstretched. The impact is back to front through the shoulder, not hard to see why he was hurt. If nothing else, hopefully he learns to protect himself better when he heals up. Very unfortunate but he will be targeted his entire career and needs to not let himself get caught like that.

Still not sure what the hell Trouba is doing on the play, he's so far out of position up near the blue line when Matthews takes the puck after a faceoff in their zone. Most defencemen would be in a much better spot to defend Matthews there and not have the opportunity to get so much speed.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
shutterstock_121783264.width-750.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad