Prospect Info: 33rd overall Roby Jarventie LW FIN

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Not to nitpick but Chabot was picked 18th and was the 5th defenseman off the board.

Zibanejad was picked high but he was a very raw, late riser with good tools. He wasn’t even projected to go in the first round at the start of his D-1.

I don’t think either of them were obvious picks at the time.
They weren’t HzH is wrong.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Not to nitpick but Chabot was picked 18th and was the 5th defenseman off the board.

Zibanejad was picked high but he was a very raw, late riser with good tools. He wasn’t even projected to go in the first round at the start of his D-1.

I don’t think either of them were obvious picks at the time.

right 18th, confused him with ek

Zibanejad was considered a genuine top 5 talent by the time of the draft i believe. and even if we passed on him we get Couturier or Schiefele or Hamilton.

and you're right that Chabot wasn't an obvious pick but if the draft wasn't so stupid high end he would have easily been off the board by the 18th pick. guys like Connor, Barzal, Chabot etc go top 10 in a a normal draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not to mention Chabot was picked 15 in one of the deepest drafts ever and Zibanejad was a #6 pick. Those were obvious picks rather than the result of some elite scouting

The Senators are a good scouting team but pretty overrated tbh

Zibanejad was not an obvious pick at all. Coots would have been far more obvious and most likely better received here

Reactions: Icelevel

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Deleted snarky response I made in this place to request Roby talk. I like what I see from this kid, great tools!

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not to mention Chabot was picked 15 in one of the deepest drafts ever and Zibanejad was a #6 pick. Those were obvious picks rather than the result of some elite scouting

The Senators are a good scouting team but pretty overrated tbh
those were good picks. ill bash their shitty choices but i can't take away the good ones. you can only draft whats available, obvious or not. (which i dont think those two were the obvious choices

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Your expectations are outrageous when it comes to drafting teenagers.
??i said chabot and zibanejad were great picks lol.

my expectations out of the first round are higher than "hopefully they become a decent fourth liner for us. how outrageous.

im guessing you have high expectations for stutzle and sanderson?? and so do the sens? theyre just teenagers you know.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
??i said chabot and zibanejad were great picks lol.

my expectations out of the first round are higher than "hopefully they become a decent fourth liner for us. how outrageous.
No just based on your post history whenever the sens dont get the best player available you seem to show your displeasure like its an easy thing to do. If it was easy there wouldnt be so many misses.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Haven’t watched Roby live but just based on highlights he looks like a Heatley/Hoffman hybrid and I’m really loving it.

Tkachuk/Jarventie/Formenton on LW in a few years is making me drool...

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No just based on your post history whenever the sens dont get the best player available you seem to show your displeasure like its an easy thing to do. If it was easy there wouldnt be so many misses.
my posts have legit just stated they werent the best pick, but thats to be expected. scouts dont hit on everyone... simply stating a pick is bad doesnt mean theres anger towards it..... its just stating what it is..

i then took the last ten years. 2 great players. 1 remain to be seen. 3 bottom of the lineup guys. and 3 players so bad theyre not even in the NHL anymore. i suspect this is proooobably around league average. which is fine. but it is what it is. im not angry about it there can only be so many players on an NHL roster lmao. but , yeah again going back to the original post, or maybe the question has been lost. the sens have not been "great" in the first round the past ten years.

actually i forgot brady. so 3 seemingly great players. 3 bad ones. 3 horrid ones. 1 remains to be seen.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
@bert if the sens totally muck up these two picks... if stutzle and sanderson just totally bomb or if Raymond rossi drysdale whoever turn out be simply the better players... CLEARLY. will that be a mistake on sens part. will that be just my expectations were too high? what constitutes an error in scouting is i guess my question. what would it take for anyone to be like "alright the scouts got that one horribly wrong"

(f***ing disclaimer for anyone: I AM NOT SAYING THOSE PLAYERS ARE OR WILL BE BETTER THAN STUTZLE OR SANDERSON

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert if the sens totally muck up these two picks... if stutzle and sanderson just totally bomb or if Raymond rossi drysdale whoever turn out be simply the better players... CLEARLY. will that be a mistake on sens part. will that be just my expectations were too high? what constitutes an error in scouting is i guess my question. what would it take for anyone to be like "alright the scouts got that one horribly wrong"

(f***ing disclaimer for anyone: I AM NOT SAYING THOSE PLAYERS ARE OR WILL BE BETTER THAN STUTZLE OR SANDERSON
Its easy to look back and say that but the best scouts in the world have identified how deep the high end talent was in this draft. Very little seperated picks 4 to 12 in this draft. If Stuetzle doesnt turn out when the concensus from absolutely everyone that he is a top 3 pick at the time of the draft doesnt mean it was a bad pick everyone else would have made it. Sanderson however is quite risky in my opinion as they had the second choice of the remaining 9 players that all appear to be very close. There were much safer choices available, so for that pick I think it would be fair to critisize the team if he doesnt turn out.

Reactions: HzH and TheDebater

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

It's only a miss if they bomb and don't become core players on the team. Who was picked after isn't really relevant.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Does anyone else think of Pastrnak seeing these clips?

They both have that smooth motion to their slapshot / one-timer. It looks to me like they both don't choke up on the stick as much as a lot of guys do with their bottom hand. Gives effortless power but takes better timing and control. So yeah I see similarities in their shot and both seem to have that innate ability to find soft spots in the defensive coverage. At the same age though RJ's shot is better than Pasta's was. He worked really hard on his shot as he was turning pro. It's worked.

From what I've seen I'd say that Jarventie will have to work on his skating to get it to Pastrnak's level. And I think he probably won't be as creative as Pasta but I like the comparison.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sick goal by Boom Boom, Heatleyish!

Quoting myself again, I get Heatley feels (watching goal highlights only) in terms of his shooting. Boom Boom, much like All-Star, knows when to release the puck right away vs. when he has time to pick his spot on the net- like Heater. Elite release. A natural born goal scoring killah!

Even HF legend Kaigorodov didn't get me so excited about a prospect. Boom Boom Jarventie just turned 18 and already has 31 goals in 58 games played in men's pro leagues.

Last edited:

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I am not a big fan, but Scouching had an interesting tidbit in his pre-draft analysis of Jarventie. Of the all the players tracked for the 2020 draft, Jarventie was the fastest from blueline to blueline(see 2:50 of video). He is a big guy and may have problems with agility. His straight-line speed seems to be impressive.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Quoting myself again, I get Heatley feels (watching goal highlights only) in terms of his shooting. Boom Boom, much like All-Star, knows when to release the puck right away vs. when he has time to pick his spot on the net- like Heater. Elite release. A natural born goal scoring killah!

Even HF legend Kaigorodov didn't get me so excited about a prospect. Boom Boom Jarventie just turned 18 and already has 31 goals in 52 games played in men's pro leagues.

Yes but Heatley would just stand there with his stick cocked back 5 ft in the air waiting for Spezza to dish it to him.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Heatley is a good comparison. A poster from Finland was remarking that Jarventie isn't a high motor guy, but plays a cerebral game in the offensive zone. He's usually looking for the play to come to him or anticipating the next move. The poster almost wished Jarventie would turn it up a notch and drive play.

Sounds like a good player that will be shit on by the fans.

Reactions: aragorn

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Its easy to look back and say that but the best scouts in the world have identified how deep the high end talent was in this draft. Very little seperated picks 4 to 12 in this draft. If Stuetzle doesnt turn out when the concensus from absolutely everyone that he is a top 3 pick at the time of the draft doesnt mean it was a bad pick everyone else would have made it. Sanderson however is quite risky in my opinion as they had the second choice of the remaining 9 players that all appear to be very close. There were much safer choices available, so for that pick I think it would be fair to critisize the team if he doesnt turn out.

Not absolutely everyone:
Cam Robinson: Rossi
Jokke Nevalainen: Raymond
Frank8: Raymond/Rossi

Sanderson isn't risky, he just isn't the game breaker the other guys are.

But we've beaten this to death, the Sens did some good things and if Järventie emerges as a first round talent, this draft may end up looking very, very good.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Just curious & this is a general question for everyone. What if those particular players that people wanted that we did not draft do end up being better individually & the players we drafted end up with less points? However, Ottawa's team as a whole improves with the players they drafted & become one of the best team's in the NHL because of it? Who wins & loses in that scenario when the other players we did not draft have more pts, but the players Ottawa did draft make the team better because the players they drafted fit better into this system & team? Of course, this remains to be seen, it's all hypothetical at this point. I think Drysdale will end up much more offensively productive than Sanderson, but IMO Sanderson will make Ottawa's team better with his complete 200' game.

Let's use Washington & OV as an example. OV was & has been a dynamic player for yrs putting up tons of pts & scoring lots of goals. However, it wasn't until Trotz came along that he bought into the team concept & lo & behold (does anyone say that anymore) they win a cup because the best player on the team bought into the team concept & the team as a whole won the SC because of it. The next yr when the new GM did not re-sign Trotz, Wash again lost in the playoffs & seem to be on their way down.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Trotz & the NYI, his new team, begin to climb their way up the standings. Is it because he is a great coach or is it because he can get the star players to buy into a winning team concept & places the right players in positions to succeed? Do you draft the players who can produce the most pts but are not team players or players who can fit better into the team concept creating team success over individual success? Individual success can get you a bigger contract while a team's success can win you a SC. It's not only interesting to debate but could it also be a part of team strategy when discussing who exactly is the BPA? Whether a player who can produce a lot of pts is more important/valuable than a player's overall game & which player might fit better into what a team is building? OV can outscore Stone, but Stone can make everyone around him better & potentially make the team better because of it.

Reactions: Frank8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad