Sportsnet 31 Thoughts Column ( June 15th - 2021 )

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Also moving on from Krug only to replace him with an older and worse version with a similar cap hit months later would be absurd.

Never mind Krug - I think trading for Yandle would be a huge slap in the face to Big Z. After telling everybody that " we're going with the kids this season " as their reason for not bringing Chara back this would be a huge insult. Yes - I know they obviously play different games but if giving the kids a chance to sink or swim this season is the plan let's not abandon that for Keith Yandle. :thumbd:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Rask negotiations already taking place.

Plan for 2021-22 is Bergeron - Coyle - Studnicka down the middle. I don't see where Krejci fits in.

Summer of 22 is when Barkov hits the open market. That's where you try for your next number 1 center.

This, all of this Dom!

Bergy will be 37yr old iirc when his contract is up. Go after Barkov, see if you can get Bergy back on a 1yr deal and either have him or Coyle play RW.

DeBrusk - Barkov - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Frederic/Beecher - Studnicka - Coyle

Could be for an interesting top 9 depending on how the young guys on L3 develop.

Reactions: bbfan419 and kjpm

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This, all of this Dom!

Bergy will be 37yr old iirc when his contract is up. Go after Barkov, see if you can get Bergy back on a 1yr deal and either have him or Coyle play RW.

Could be for an interesting top 9 depending on how the young guys on L3 develop.

I have this strong feeling Berge will be done when his contract expires. The nagging groin issues plus his history of concussions might push him to retire.

I sure hope Studnika turns into a 2C by then. I don't want to see Coyle there.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I have this strong feeling Berge will be done when his contract expires. The nagging groin issues plus his history of concussions might push him to retire.

I sure hope Studnika turns into a 2C by then. I don't want to see Coyle there. Barkov 1C and only 27.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Actually a bit of Bruin news this week. :handclap:

9. Sounds like Nashville is one of the teams interested in Vancouver’s Adam Gaudette. Boston was checking out Jake Virtanen, but I’m not sure where that stands. The Sharks poked around during the off-season.

20. Kind of disappointing Boston and Toronto don’t play this year. Those would be must-watch.

21. Last week’s edition of Scotiabank Wednesday Night Hockey featured Boston and Philadelphia. The Bruins feature The Perfection Line, exceptionally dangerous on offensive-zone draws. Down 3–0 to Washington two nights earlier, they got back-to-back scores immediately after faceoffs that keyed the comeback that won the game.

So, in preparation for our broadcast, we went to a faceoff guru, NCAA Vermont (@UVMhockey/@UVMwhockey) head coach Todd Woodcroft, for guidance. Woodcroft, who left the Winnipeg Jets after last season to lead the Catamounts, takes great pride in teaching the subtleties.

“Offence does not always come from a faceoff win,” Woodcroft said. “You’d be surprised how much comes from a faceoff loss. You have to know who the threats are.”

When it comes to Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak — they’re all threats.

“The beauty is that everyone knows how they do it, but they still have success,” Woodcroft says. “Bergeron is dangerous on both his strong and weak sides. Even if he loses, everyone still finishes their routes because they know Marchand is sprinting in. He can be first to the puck or win the battle for it. They are so rehearsed, so lethal. Great chemistry.”

For example, you cannot let Pastrnak get to the high or low slot. That’s where he’s headed, and the Bruins are going to find him.

22. Since Woodcroft joined Winnipeg in 2016–17, Bergeron tortured the Jets like he tortured everyone else — winning 56 per cent of his draws. The positive is that the centre’s overall number during that time was 58 per cent, so the Jets actually did better than most. How do you counter Perfection?

“Our centres made it important,” he answered. “They cared about it. We made it a ‘specialty team,’ like the power play or the penalty kill. Every good team practises faceoff plays, and you’d go through video: ‘This is Boston play one, this is Boston play two.’ We’d talk about the ‘sort out.’ What’s the ‘sort out’ when this happens, so when it does happen no one is surprised? It’s rare that you see a play you haven’t already seen, but you have to make sure everyone has clear routes and knows what they have to do.

“If your centre doesn’t have enough strength on his stick, Bergeron will destroy you. He’s like a tornado. His torque is pure violence. Everyone else has to be wired, on their toes, ready to fight through a check. You want your defence to push people into the linesman, creating a mess.”

Full column: 31 Thoughts: What Hextall, Burke hirings say about the Penguins

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
No Bruin news this week but Thought #31 is interesting:

31. Non-Canadian blog readers/podcast listeners: We hear you. Canada will always be the prime focus, but I can mix it better.

Of course he should have said " Non-Toronto " instead on " Non-Canadian " but let's see if he actually follows through.

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Tavares, Gagner blazing a trail in minor hockey involvement

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Shockingly the Bruins actually get mentioned this week:

4. How good is Boston? The Bruins’ goal differential is plus-15. Next-best in the East is the Islanders, at plus-one. Philadelphia is even, and the rest are (Seinfeld reference) “Prognosis Negative.”

And.......that's it.

Full column here: 31 Thoughts: When will the 2021 NHL Entry Draft take place?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not a problem - I just wish that there was more Bruins news for us to read. But at least we're all up to date on what's happening in Leafsland. :laugh:

I honestly don't think they'd know what to do if they had a consistently good team like the Bruins.

Reactions: Alicat

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Nothing huge but we did get a bit of Bruins stuff this week:

4. It’s a buyer’s market out there. With five weeks until the trade deadline, how many teams are really willing to take on money? Never mind “can” take on money under the cap, but would be willing to do so? The list is not long, and there are many more sellers than buyers.

Boston and Philadelphia are eyeing defencemen, although both teams must monitor expansion-draft issues. You don’t want to make that situation worse, unless of course you are trading something that nullifies the problem. Toronto is checking out forwards. Colorado is looking at some options, but I don’t know how high-salaried they would be. One interesting possibility: Minnesota. Unafraid GM and challenging for top spot in the West.

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Why NHL is exploring the NBA Top Shot trend

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Nothing huge but we did get a bit of Bruins stuff this week:

4. It’s a buyer’s market out there. With five weeks until the trade deadline, how many teams are really willing to take on money? Never mind “can” take on money under the cap, but would be willing to do so? The list is not long, and there are many more sellers than buyers.

Boston and Philadelphia are eyeing defencemen, although both teams must monitor expansion-draft issues. You don’t want to make that situation worse, unless of course you are trading something that nullifies the problem. Toronto is checking out forwards. Colorado is looking at some options, but I don’t know how high-salaried they would be. One interesting possibility: Minnesota. Unafraid GM and challenging for top spot in the West.

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Why NHL is exploring the NBA Top Shot trend
This confirms my suspicion that there is no chance that they protect 4D.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
This, all of this Dom!

Barkov will command 10M a year, maybe more.
Do you really think we pay him that?
Not happening.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Nothing Bruins related this week except for rehashing something that's been discussed for the last few months:

6. I’m not sure how Edler feels about things, but I do think there’s some action on Benn and at least one eastern American team asking on Hamonic (who, for family reasons, prefers western Canada). From a purely speculative standpoint, does a Jake DeBrusk /Jake Virtanen deal work at all (with whatever else gets put in there)?

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Could Nashville move Ryan Ellis instead of Mattias Ekholm?

Reactions: Dr Hook

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looks like I missed an extra bit of Bruin news in this week's column:

11. A name that surprised me: Conor Garland. I don’t think there’s much Arizona wouldn’t consider, but this one is very intriguing. He’s finishing his current contract at $775,000, is nearly a point-per-game player, and is tied for 24th in the NHL in even-strength points. I’m told the way the Coyotes see it is they need to replenish, and moving him could do it. He’s also arbitration-eligible this summer and next, followed by unrestricted free agency, so a much-deserved raise is on the way.

One thing Arizona has told teams: It’s not interested in multiple picks that are late in rounds. So you’ve got to bring more than that.Obvious onlooker: Boston. The Bruins need to score, and he’s a onetime junior Bruin. That makes them contractually obligated to trade for him.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Crap - I forgot to post last week's column. And there's actually a bit ( and I do mean a bit ) of Bruin stuff:

8. What is Tuukka Rask’s health going to do to Boston’s decision-making?

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Aaron Ekblad injury a massive blow to Panthers

Shockingly - there's a bit of Bruins stuff this week too:

10. I still don’t know what to make of the Bruins. Tuukka Rask is on their road trip, and they know his health better than anyone else. There’s a loyalty to their veterans, and a realization there aren’t many more years for this core. I hear them linked to Palmieri and Hall, but I’ve also heard they don’t think a rental is a good idea for the cost. Now, if they can extend someone or get someone with term, it makes more sense to me. We’ll see.

Full column: 31 Thoughts: Sabres juggling multiple scenarios ahead of trade deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad