Sportsnet 31 Thoughts Column ( June 15th - 2021 )

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
It's the first one this season and it even contains some Bruins stuff:

15. Brett Ritchie is the mystery PTO possibility for Calgary.

19. I do expect to see Ben Hutton somewhere soon. Boston and New Jersey are among those with interest.

21. When Boston was eliminated by Tampa Bay, the post-series Zoom calls were incredibly emotional. One reason that this group of Bruins won a Cup and reached two other Finals is they are determined and they care. But one source warned it was deeper than that: “They look like they know this might be it for this group,” he said at the time.

That’s proven prophetic with Zdeno Chara’s move to Washington. The hardest part of Chara’s off-season was not deciding where he was going to play, but if he was going to play. If not the Bruins, was retirement the best option for him and his family? Once he decided to compete, then he considered other options.

I’m not in any hurry to see him retire, and it’s foolish to underestimate his potential impact in Washington.

24. Boston and Philadelphia were given the option to play two games in Lake Tahoe, but decided against it.

Full column here: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-2020-21-nhl-season-step-unknown/

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It's the first one this season and it even contains some Bruins stuff:

15. Brett Ritchie is the mystery PTO possibility for Calgary.

19. I do expect to see Ben Hutton somewhere soon. Boston and New Jersey are among those with interest.

21. When Boston was eliminated by Tampa Bay, the post-series Zoom calls were incredibly emotional. One reason that this group of Bruins won a Cup and reached two other Finals is they are determined and they care. But one source warned it was deeper than that: “They look like they know this might be it for this group,” he said at the time.

That’s proven prophetic with Zdeno Chara’s move to Washington. The hardest part of Chara’s off-season was not deciding where he was going to play, but if he was going to play. If not the Bruins, was retirement the best option for him and his family? Once he decided to compete, then he considered other options.

I’m not in any hurry to see him retire, and it’s foolish to underestimate his potential impact in Washington.

24. Boston and Philadelphia were given the option to play two games in Lake Tahoe, but decided against it.

I think Sweeney needs to earn his keep and help bring them another cup, that's if their close near the deadline and if their not, bye-bye Rask and Krejci.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Rask is going nowhere. Krejci's money will be used to lure a big free agent within the next two summers.

I wouldn't be so sure. He has no trade protection, and Swayman is the real deal and the future. For me Tuukka is to here and there and like I said if their out of the playoffs come deadline and If Sweeney gets a legit offer I'd be moving him without a second thought.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I wouldn't be so sure. He has no trade protection, and Swayman is the real deal and the future. For me Tuukka is to here and there and like I said if their out of the playoffs come deadline and If Sweeney gets a legit offer I'd be moving him without a second thought.

He's invaluable to bridge the gap to Swayman or whomever. He's older but low miles, Bruins monitor his workload great.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He's invaluable to bridge the gap to Swayman or whomever. He's older but low miles, Bruins monitor his workload great.

All true but he's also a loose canon at times. This might be his last year ?he wants to finish his career in Boston.?Does anyone really know what frame of mind he'll be in if the bruins go south ?

If he signs a decent deal sure keep him on board but If the Bruins struggle he may all of sudden start singing a different tune. I just don't think Donny ball-game can take the chance of losing Krug,Chara and Rask in back to Back seasons without adding.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
what are you giving him salary wise? Not 7 mil again. Wouldn’t you rather try for a barkov in a couple years?
I don’t really have confidence they’ll bring him back - just a good feeling he’d resign here for less than elsewhere and no clear picture to who or where the cap $ would go if he walks.

Reactions: LouJersey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Even on a 3-year extension, that takes him up to 37 1/4 years old at the end of 2023-24. Which is almost the identical age that Tim Thomas led the Bruins to a cup win along with a Conn Smythe and Vezina. Like you said they manage his workload well now. Thomas didn't have as many miles but Rask plays a much more economical style.

Ideally you get Rask to get you to the end of 2023-24 and hand the reigns to Swayman (or someone else possibly) starting in 2024-25.

2020-21 - Rask/Halak

2021-22 - Rask/Vlader

2022-23 - Rask/Vlader

2023-24 - Rask/Swayman

2024-25 - Swayman/??????

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Swayman has great promise, but I'm not giving real deal status to someone who's never played an NHL game. And he will need seasoning regardless. Has he even played in the A yet? (honestly can't remember).

Remember that stack of prospects we were so excited about a couple of years ago, all those late round steals? Heinen's gone for a human plowhorse, and Bjork is on his way out the door unless he figures it out in Year 4.

Two year extension for Tuuks just to get us into the playoffs alone. I'd do the same for Krecji at a reasonable costs.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Swayman has great promise, but I'm not giving real deal status to someone who's never played an NHL game. And he will need seasoning regardless. Has he even played in the A yet? (honestly can't remember).

Remember that stack of prospects we were so excited about a couple of years ago, all those late round steals? Heinen's gone for a human plowhorse, and Bjork is on his way out the door unless he figures it out in Year 4.

Two year extension for Tuuks just to get us into the playoffs alone. I'd do the same for Krecji at a reasonable costs.

I agree.

Im just not relying on Rask, to let alone play again next year, let alone for the Bruins, but if he signs a team friendly 2-3 year deal sure sign him. If not and the Bruins are out of the playoffs bye-bye.

As far as krejci I would of moved him during the draft, his stock will never be this high again. Bruins need prospects and picks, and by moving Krejci that would of gone a long way in acquiring some.

Swayman too me is a cant miss. Very athletics and positionally sound and wants to get better every time he hits the ice. Ive never been overly high on a prospect, I know the big time is a whole lot different but this kid has what it takes.

I mean you could tell McAvoy and Pastrnak had elite talent. I was also high on Marchand and Carlo coming out of the WJ and what ive seen of Swayman he has that it factor about him, but I guess only time will tell.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Here's the only mention of the Bruins this week:

7. Finally, on Yandle: There’s a lot of speculation that he would be willing to waive to Boston. I’m not convinced there’s a match, however. The Bruins have been extremely careful not to add long-term money. It doesn’t fit their current activity.

Full article here: 31 Thoughts: Why Avalanche traded Ian Cole to Minnesota

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey and kjpm

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Yandle makes absolutely no sense for this team, especially considering he would need to be protected in the expansion draft due to his NMC. Also moving on from Krug only to replace him with an older and worse version with a similar cap hit months later would be absurd. Hope this puts those rumors to bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad