Sportsnet 31 Thoughts Column ( June 15th - 2021 )

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Poor Friedman- with the Hall deal he was pretty much forced to write something about the Bruins. Oh don't worry - there's still plenty of Leaf stuff to read. :popcorn:

Taylor Hall confirmed a lot of things on Tuesday.

Foremost is the fact he wanted to be a Boston Bruin. During his first foray into unrestricted free agency, Hall flirted with Boston. The Bruins were interested, but told him they’d have to make moves before they could commit to him. Hall wasn’t comfortable with the idea of waiting, and wanted to lock in his next NHL home.

So he went to Buffalo.

Six months later, Hall is where he wanted to be, flexing his no-move muscle in order to get to Massachusetts. The hope is this isn’t a one-night Tinder swipe right, but the start of a lasting, meaningful relationship. Father Time dictates the Bruins are ending one era and preparing to launch another. We will see if Hall becomes a cornerstone.

“Unfortunately, right now, I’m not the most confident hockey player,” Hall said Monday.

1. I believe Buffalo asked Boston about their two young goalies, Jeremy Swayman and Daniel Vladar, but the Bruins weren’t going there. Knowing they were Hall’s preferred destination, they could take a harder line.

The Sabres’ interest in Anders Bjork isn’t a huge surprise since several members of Buffalo’s hockey operations have NCAA/U.S. minor hockey connections, including head of collegiate scouting Jerry Forton and head coach Don Granato. (Jason Nightingale, the team’s director of analytics and assistant director of scouting, was on Notre Dame’s staff before Bjork played there.)

8. Adam Gaudette and Vancouver? It’s complicated. Boston and Nashville looked at the young forward at different points this season, and, as his role didn’t grow with the Canucks, the organization knew he wanted a fresh start.

Full column: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-may-rental-bruins/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Milan Lucic.

He has to be one of the only rookies in recent memory who got his own room on the road, because his snoring was so bad — no one wanted to be near him.
Lucic was the quintessential Bruin. Obviously, with a great player like a McDavid or a Matthews, the game changes every time they step on the ice. At Lucic’s peak, one NHLer told me he and Shea Weber were the only two who changed the game in another meaningful way — if you let them hit you, you’d regret it.
Lucic has been through a lot. It might surprise people to know this, but he’s a thinker and sensitive. A ton of people who care about him are thrilled to see him get to 1,000. He did it the hard way.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Haven't read but assuming plenty of Maple Leaf yada yada poop

Surprisingly not that much this week. You knew there had to be something written or else he might have been kicked out of the " Toronto is the Center of the Hockey Universe and I will continue to shove them down your throat " media club. Anyway - this week's column is pretty Canucks heavy.

Reactions: Blowfish

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This is funny:
22. Chris Johnston reported last week that the NHL sent a note to all teams warning of increased scrutiny on long-term injury usage, specifically when it came to cap manipulation. I don’t get riled up about this issue, since I try to manipulate the rules of every pool I’m in. But it drives some teams absolutely crazy.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Surprisingly not that much this week. You knew there had to be something written or else he might have been kicked out of the " Toronto is the Center of the Hockey Universe and I will continue to shove them down your throat " media club. Anyway - this week's column is pretty Canucks heavy.
yeah, they've dropped 4 in a row, a player is disciplined for being late to a meeting, nothing to write about at all!!

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Hey, look who made 31 thoughts this week! Friedman probably threw in the Bruins fan callout for Dom as a sign of a higher level of intelligence

21. Finally, managers were asked about their feelings regarding the NHL/CHL agreement. The most likely scenario is it gets extended another year, but everyone’s going to think about it. A few years ago, an informal poll indicated they wanted more of an opportunity to put top prospects in the AHL, but when it really came down to it, the GMs backed off, not wanting to maim a major pipeline.
On Twitter, Dominic Tiano (@dominictiano), a Bruins fan with a good feed, asked a terrific question:

Brandt Clarke sits seventh in Sam Cosentino’s April rankings. He played at OHL Barrie, but went to Nove Zamky Mikron in Slovakia this year.
I looked into it and was told these things still need to be sorted out.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Here's the tweet from Dom:

Now that he's an internet celebrity let's hope that Dom will not get a big head and start being hard to deal with. ;)

The only other Bruin stuff from this week is this:

28. There is one NHL team where a defenceman is the all-time points leader. That’s Boston, where Ray Bourque amassed 1,506. The second could be Nashville, thanks to Roman Josi. During the team’s 4–1 victory over Florida on Monday night, Josi tied Shea Weber for third in franchise history with 443. That’s within 38 of Martin Erat for second and 123 behind David Legwand for first. He’s averaged 0.73 points per game the last seven seasons. At that rate, he’s 169 games away.

Full column here: www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-turner-sports-tv-deal-means-nhl/

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
After a 3 week break Friedman put out another " 31 Thoughts " article and he actually managed to squeeze in a bit of Bruins stuff:

11. I do think there’s been some contact with Jim Rutherford. There are no open GM spots, but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a fit in other roles. Another name I’m starting to hear: Daniel Briere. He is the Vice-President of Operations for ECHL Maine, but there are multiple reports the affiliation there will switch to Boston. There’s interest in adding him to a front office.

28. If Boston re-signs Taylor Hall, do we even find out before the expansion draft?

Full column here: 31 Thoughts: What’s next for Seth Jones, Blue Jackets? - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Gee Wally

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I thought he was done for this season but Friedman put out another " 31 Thoughts " column today. And despite still mourning over the Leafs annual early Playoff exit he managed to slide in a bit of Bruin news:

12. Boston GM Don Sweeney showed some strategy at his season-ending media briefing on Tuesday. The Bruins will try to avoid signing any of their UFAs before the expansion draft in order to maximize their protection list. I believe he will be respectful of David Krejci/Tuukka Rask's timelines for making decisions on next season. The only request will be to allow the Bruins time to adjust their plans if the answer is no. They’ve been talking to Taylor Hall about an extension for some time.

Captain Patrice Bergeron will return, and, as he said, he’s on a year-to-year basis now. He’s got one season remaining on his contract, and I do think Boston will ask him if he wishes to be extended.

Full column here: 31 Thoughts: How Stanley Cup Playoffs could affect the blueliner market - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Alicat

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can the Bruins extend Bergeron on July 1st? Or do they have to wait until after the new year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad