30G Winger or 50pt Dman?

• 30G Winger

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • 50pt Dman

Votes: 110 82.7%

• Total voters

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm sorry for double posting. I just have to comment some more.

But points... damn.. for 2017, and for people so hell bent on advanced stats, and all the hockey nerds of today here at HFB, why are points still so valuable? I swear I've even seen people compare defensemen based on point totals here at HF Boards. And it happens a lot.

It's only a step away from ranking goalies based on points per game.

A 50pt performance doesn't make a d-man a "franchise defenseman" (a quote here in this very thread). You need to be good with the puck to gain #1 PP unit ice time, okay, but that's not enough to even be a top pair d-man on your team. It's only a part of their job. 5-on-5 is still the bread and butter. And how about playing f'n defense? I trust even Fenwick more than points, and that's a faulty stat (I make my own, but that's a secret and embarrassing, dammit!), yet we see point scoring d-men somehow super valuable, as opposed to shot suppressing defensemen.

Anyway, probably a useless rant. Also, 30 goal scorers probably aren't any good defensively either (Ovechkin LOL), but scoring wingers IMO don't factor in on goals against in the same way as other skaters just because they play a position where it's the harders to prevent shots against.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Also you can't include Karlsson. He's a 70 point dman just like despite 1 season you don't put Ovie there.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
50 point d-man are obviously a lot more rare. There a lot more forgettable players who scored 30 goals in recent memory: Marchessault, Eaves, Jenner, Grabner, Hudler, Clarkson etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad