• 30G Winger

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • 50pt Dman

Votes: 110 82.7%

• Total voters

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Any decent winger can put up goals when played with a good center. A 50 point d-man can help raise the production of lots of other players on the team. And the d-man would improve the PP

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
2016-17

Defenseman who scored 50 points+:
Burns
Hedman
Karlsson
Shattenkirk
Keith
Byfuglien
Schultz
Krug
Hamilton
Josi

Wingers who scored 30 goals +:
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Marchand
Skinner
Laine
Atkinson
Pacioretty
Kane
Lee
Pastrnak
Ovechkin
Rakell
Oshie
Forsberg
Eaves
Simmonds
Panarin
Arvidsson
Marchessault

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last year's 50 point defensemen include

Karlsson
Burns
Schultz
Hedman
Shattenkirk
Keith
Byfuglien
Krug
Hamilton

The wingers who scored 30 last year but not 40 include

Marchand
Skinner
Pacioretty
Lee
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Panarin
Tarasenko
Laine
Atkinson
Pastarnak
Kane
Oshie
Simmonds
Eaves

(I didn't include Ovechkin because I think calling him a "30-goal scorer" is disingenuous to his career resume)

If I had to choose blind, I take the defenseman, and I take the defenseman in most cases. If we're talking about the traditional 30-25 winger, like Atkinson, Lee, Simmonds, etc., I take the D.

But I would definitely take Panarin, Marchand, Tarasenko, and Kane over a handful of those defensemen. So it depends on the two players and how strict the "30-goal" definition is. Is it the traditional 30-25 power forward, or an elite all-around winger who happened to score 30 goals?

EDIT: @Morgs Had it first, nicely done bud.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Last year's 50 point defensemen include

Karlsson
Burns
Schultz
Hedman
Shattenkirk
Keith
Byfuglien
Krug
Hamilton

The wingers who scored 30 last year but not 40 include

Marchand
Skinner
Pacioretty
Lee
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Panarin
Tarasenko
Laine
Atkinson
Pastarnak
Kane
Oshie
Simmonds
Eaves

(I didn't include Ovechkin because I think calling him a "30-goal scorer" is disingenuous to his career resume)

If I had to choose blind, I take the defenseman, and I take the defenseman in most cases. If we're talking about the traditional 30-25 winger, like Atkinson, Lee, Simmonds, etc., I take the D.

But I would definitely take Panarin, Marchand, Tarasenko, and Kane over a handful of those defensemen. So it depends on the two players and how strict the "30-goal" definition is. Is it the traditional 30-25 power forward, or an elite all-around winger who happened to score 30 goals?

EDIT: @Morgs Had it first, nicely done bud.

But calling a defenseman whose lowest point total, in the past 6 years, is 66 points a 50 point scorer is not disingenuous?

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

ijuka

May 14, 2016
50pt dman easily...

That 50pt dman could make your 20g winger into a 30g winger anyway.

Note: Assuming the player's skill level is thereabouts and that the winger is actually a 1:1 type player not a Patrick Kane who only happened to score 30 goals that season.

Reactions: Machinehead

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
so....

Marchessault or Karlsson
or
Crosby or Krug
??
Crosby ain't a winger brah. But yeah - without context it's just blind luck. Without knowing anything else, I'd probably choose the Dman, but in reality it's just not enough information to go off of.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As a Jackets fan I can tell you right now easily easily the 50 pt Dman.

But then again we have 4 wingers who have hit 30G and Werenski (who for some reason is missing from the lists above) who hit 53 last season and Jones hit 42.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
As a Jackets fan I can tell you right now easily easily the 50 pt Dman.

But then again we have 4 wingers who have hit 30G and Werenski (who for some reason is missing from the lists above) who hit 53 last season and Jones hit 42.

Werenski had 47 points, you are probably looking at his career stats as he now has 53 career points with 6 this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Depends. Prime Joe Thornton was only scoring in the 20's but was putting up over 100 points. On the other extreme there's a guy like Brandon Pirri who once scored 22 goals in 49 games while recording just 2 assists in that same period. So I guess it depends on the type of 30 goal scorer. Is he a 30/30 guy? Or is he a 30/10 guy?

With the defenseman there's the risk that the 50 point defenseman cant play D very well but even so, he still scored 50 points which is huge.

Chances are i'll take the 50 point defenseman.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What else does each player do? There’s a lot of variance in player quality when you evalute the individuals who fit into each column.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not super surprised the poll is lopsided. The lack of context is intended, each player's defining feature is their production and that's all that's being considered. The blueliner is probably the better choice for improving the team considering just how hard it is to produce as a defenceman. However, it seems that at least on here, a goal scoring wingers value is vastly under appreciated. This is still a league that has averaged under 3 goals a game since 05-06(this year so far is barely over 3 at 3.06 mostly due to the PPGPG jumping 10%).

This is just an assumption but of that 50pt dmen's points I would imagine quite a few are secondary assists. Watching Hamilton last year he did indeed have a good year but his end of season point totals kind of surprised me. Couldn't find any site that tracks secondary assists but I would bet he had around 20-25.

What if the comparison is 2 players who just reached this plateau for the first time and is not considering age, contracts, or the teams they played for?

TJ Oshie [33G 23A] vs Dougie Hamilton [13G 37A]

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The median 30-goal scorer last season was Ovechkin (33 goals). Oshie also scored 33. Kane scored 34.

The median 50-point scoring d-man last season was Byfuglien (52pts) Justin Schultz (51pts) or Torey Krug (51pts).

I think I'll take the forward. Doesn't seem like a bad die to roll.

EDIT: I excluded 40-goal-scorers for wingers and 60-point scorers for d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad