GDT: [#30] Winnipeg Jets @ Dallas Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FSSW, TSN3) - **Pucker up edition**

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Dominate for 40 minutes and then sleep walk through the third. Thank god we got the win in OT.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That’s new right? I can’t be that out of touch with the rules.

I think it has been for 2-3 years the case. Changed it together when they eliminated TV timeouts when a team ices it IRC

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not really sure how anyone is going to complain about that last call in OT... its clear as day and grabbing the stick is its own penalty.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
This team is so f***en brutal.

Honestly is this a veteran team, because you'd never know. No pride, have their will broken on home ice. This is probably what one would expect from the Texas Stars.

Lucky to win, lucky penalty call really.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well you're right but sometimes they let stuff go in the late stages, just like they let go a more blatant hook Perry on Connor late in the 3rd.

The first infraction was let go but then Morrissey would just keep on holding Pavelski .

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
The first infraction was let go but then Morrissey would just keep on holding Pavelski .
Hey I ain't complaining, it's probably the right call, but just saying they let go at least equally as obvious infraction the other way 5 mins earlier. Had they swallowed their whistles and not called it I wouldn't have been surprised.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Every WC team in action tonight got points, we needed these 2 big time. Fitting both the Jets and Stars got 5 points each from the 4 game season series, pretty evenly matched teams really.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nothing better than beating the 'Big Baby Jets'.

Seriously, there isn't a fan base that whines more. I guess that's what happens when you watch Scheifele for an entire season.

WiltedWeeBettong-size_restricted.gif

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hey I ain't complaining, it's probably the right call, but just saying they let go at least equally as obvious infraction the other way 5 mins earlier. Had they swallowed their whistles and not called it I wouldn't have been surprised.

It's not all that uncommon for the, say, 4th holding call to be called after letting 3 go. If you sit near the ice, you can often hear refs telling players to keep playing, let go, etc. Basically, the refs want to let inconsequential calls go, but if they inadvertently send the wrong message, that holding is okay, they will finally have to call one to slow it down. It only seems like the first call goes against the Stars in those cases.

And we can't forget those emails reports the refs get from the NHL after every game, noting that they may have called not enough or too many of a certain penalty the night before. Those reviews are often the reason a certain penalty is the "call du jour". Last night, it might have been one of the refs castigated for not calling a mid ice tripping in their recent game, who knows.

Stars actually got more power plays last night, although the additional one was courtesy of an unsportsmanlike conduct on Scheiffle for complaining about the original call. Took me back to the Stars trading Ribs because they felt his constant complaining, and a well remembered dive when he played for MTL, caused more calls against them. I think Ott got traded for the same reason.

Reactions: Stumbledore

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way i think Radulov at this point clearly gets called on reputation and he needs to stop beeing a dumbass for a while because he's getting called for anything that looks even slightly suspicious like a penalty. Deserved or not but once you get calls on reputation you need to change what you are doing.

Hope he took the scratch to heart. He's very likely getting slotted in again next game.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I agree on Rads. That micro second hold in the last WPG game had to be a reputation call.
It looked to me like the guy was holding rads there but none the less , he had his stick in the hand area , which is something he just can’t stop doing . I actually think he could have a lot more penalty’s that he’s got away with .

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I actually think he could have a lot more penalty’s that he’s got away with .

He definitely could, he slashes guys in the hands so freaking often when they have the puck, and he should be getting called for every single one. When they started enforcing those slashes with a heavy hand a couple of seasons ago, most of the league got the message, but not Rads. :shakehead

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Holding the stick is about as automatic as a delay of game penalty.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
It's not all that uncommon for the, say, 4th holding call to be called after letting 3 go. If you sit near the ice, you can often hear refs telling players to keep playing, let go, etc. Basically, the refs want to let inconsequential calls go, but if they inadvertently send the wrong message, that holding is okay, they will finally have to call one to slow it down. It only seems like the first call goes against the Stars in those cases.

And we can't forget those emails reports the refs get from the NHL after every game, noting that they may have called not enough or too many of a certain penalty the night before. Those reviews are often the reason a certain penalty is the "call du jour". Last night, it might have been one of the refs castigated for not calling a mid ice tripping in their recent game, who knows.

Stars actually got more power plays last night, although the additional one was courtesy of an unsportsmanlike conduct on Scheiffle for complaining about the original call. Took me back to the Stars trading Ribs because they felt his constant complaining, and a well remembered dive when he played for MTL, caused more calls against them. I think Ott got traded for the same reason.

This kind of this is why sports officiating enrages me, especially in hockey. Just call things by the goddamned book every second of every season and be done with it.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Every time the NHL has said they will crack down on penalties and call them all, it lasts about a month. No one seems to want a game with 58 minutes of power play or 4 or 4 (or 3 on 3) time. For one, going to 3 on 3 would ruin the effect of OT now.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Every time the NHL has said they will crack down on penalties and call them all, it lasts about a month. No one seems to want a game with 58 minutes of power play or 4 or 4 (or 3 on 3) time. For one, going to 3 on 3 would ruin the effect of OT now.

Which is why players will stop committing as many infractions so there won't be 58 minuts of PP. They do what they do now because they can, although the inconsistency leads to frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad