GDT: #30 | New York Islanders @ LA Kings | December 7th | 10:30pm | F/L 3-0

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Refused to stay up til 1:00 to watch this team. Recorded it and watched this morning.
Not the worst game they have played, just overmatched against a much bigger, more talented team top to bottom. I think they made a 97% effort, the missing 3% was inability to finish by not getting any net front presence or getting enough shots inside the perimeter that LA forced to play from.
Poor play by Hammer on both goals, he was schooled by a very skilled shooter who made a beautiful play, but the poke check was a lazy play instead of stepping up on Kopitar and getting shoulder to body. He also went behind the net when deHaan was already there on the Brown wrap around, leaving the front open. JT was late getting to Brown but that was mostly on Hammer.
This kind of game could beat the Panthers, BJ's, Canes, Sabres several other teams. but it will never be enough to beat the Kings, Blues, Sharks of this league.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i'm watching the post game interview now & while Peters questions were carefully chosen by Charles Wang himself, it's just ridiculous how Capuano is still saying how he thought the isles played well. They had like 14 shots on goal all game.

Fire him NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW. This is pathetic.

I bet Cappy knows that the team is too small to be taken seriously, but knows that he will be fired if he said so.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
I am at a loss for words, their is truly nothing to say anymore. Capuano has to be fired at this point, nothing less although I would love for more. Their is a plague impacting the team and its confidence, their is no other explanation to lose 14 of the last 16.

camper*

P.P…if theres a net presence..they don't shoot..so really 1 man wasted and your really just playing 4 on 4…on the perimeter..20% of the time all 5 attackers are not in the O zone..so once again your really not on the P.P…your playing even strength…inability to keep the puck in the zone at the points on hard rims is also causing lost P.P. time..causing everyone to come out and start again:cry:

P.K….no hit P.K…small/soft personel…Watch Boston and a few big teams..they hit on the P.K. when pucks are up for grabs.

Physicality….not enough hitting to make the bad guys not want the puck..or at least think twice:nod: Tho hitting was not a problem in this game, say the #s ..it was real evident the majority of the hits are not delivered by bodies that can punish..usually bouncing off guys. The 1st period was a good physical start to the game once again..it kept the Kings off their game..yet once special teams took over the inability to ice all 4 lines was evident…#17 ran over Kings at will causing turnovers galore racking up 5 hits in the first (9 for the game) but did not see the ice the first 8 mins of the second due to special team play..the Kings now grew momentum. Bottom line you can't win unless you can out punish teams….scoring comes and goes..but physicality if always there keeps you on a level playing field. This team is not a bad team…the effort is there…Size is a issue..a big save wouldn't hurt.:nod:

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I didn't watch all of the game last night. From reading twitter I understand they didn't have their worst game, however, I noticed this the last time we played LA at the old barn and again last night; LA was bigger, stronger, and when it mattered,(the third period), LA was able to turn up their game and we were out matched, and out played. To win with the big boys, a lot needs to be changed, I mean in personal also, not just the Coach. Nelson is a big forward, so is Vanek. Lee is a big kid in Bridgeport, so some big forwards are in house, that's if they can keep them. However, JT is not going anywhere, and I think Okposo is a keeper. So that means in my imperfect POV Grabner, Bailey,(I hate this one but its necessary), Regin, PMB, McDonald need to go.

camper*

I didn't watch all of the game last night. From reading twitter I understand they didn't have their worst game, however, I noticed this the last time we played LA at the old barn and again last night; LA was bigger, stronger, and when it mattered,(the third period), LA was able to turn up their game and we were out matched, and out played. To win with the big boys, a lot needs to be changed, I mean in personal also, not just the Coach. Nelson is a big forward, so is Vanek. Lee is a big kid in Bridgeport, so some big forwards are in house, that's if they can keep them. However, JT is not going anywhere, and I think Okposo is a keeper. So that means in my imperfect POV Grabner, Bailey,(I hate this one but its necessary), Regin, PMB, McDonald need to go.

Back to physicality for a moment….When your top line cannot register a hit..game in and out…yet the other teams top line does play physical..your being outmatched in this dept…pretty hard to go into the dressing room and preach …I don't have a prob with the fact they didn't score…the physical mindset..is hard to deny.."the my only job is to score"…is a lot thin…and they are big enough bodies

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Back to physicality for a moment….When your top line cannot register a hit..game in and out…yet the other teams top line does play physical..your being outmatched in this dept…pretty hard to go into the dressing room and preach …I don't have a prob with the fact they didn't score…the physical mindset..is hard to deny.."the my only job is to score"…is a lot thin…and they are big enough bodies

Did you watch Brown last night? He was a very noticeable part of what LA did right and because he was physical. He is also smart enough to be a useful piece to a scoring play and has the energy and drive to stay with or lead plays into the offensive zone. People here want Okposo to be that guy and he isn't.

One thing the Isles could do is move Cizikas up to Johnny's wing to be the puck chaser, corner Crasher... he has the wheels and IMO has the same game smarts as Brown. I can think of several players that could fill that role but he would be my first choice, also in part because he can win a face off.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
first game all year i didnt watch. dvr'ed it but thought better of it and saved myself the agony. These are games that even when we ARE playing our best, we'll come up losers most of the time. they're just a much better team than us.

apathy is setting in. losing is becoming a habit. there are no more words. it's not about effort, its not about lines....its about talent. specifically talent on D. they dont have enough of it to win games. that is why they are losing. period.

camper*

Did you watch Brown last night? He was a very noticeable part of what LA did right and because he was physical. He is also smart enough to be a useful piece to a scoring play and has the energy and drive to stay with or lead plays into the offensive zone. People here want Okposo to be that guy and he isn't.

One thing the Isles could do is move Cizikas up to Johnny's wing to be the puck chaser, corner Crasher... he has the wheels and IMO has the same game smarts as Brown. I can think of several players that could fill that role but he would be my first choice, also in part because he can win a face off.

One prob.friend..a closer look shows.. tho he does corner crash he more than not is on the losing end..picking himself off the ice with the d-man having the puck moving it ..catching the line deep in the zone…the efforts there for sure..just not enough punch to have him go in 1st…its occurs more than not on the 4th line already…by no means is this a knock on him…rather just the wrong tool being 1st man in. Brown..yes i did ..he was outmatched in the 1st by the hit man #17 when on the ice together..only registering 1 hit to Martins 5 in the first..why? he was too busy worrying about getting run over(looking over his shoulder) He did pick up his hitting game in the second..he was also left alone as explained above..Marts not seeing the ice for the 1st 8 mins of the second due to sp. team play..you see coaching have this problem fitting in the extra 4th line guy when bolton plays as well..instead of keeping momentum certain players generate..by sliding them in to another line for a shift…momentum gets lost by just rolling 3 lines till the PK guy that was used is rested for full line duty.
Dominate NHL hitters are few and far between..Brown is one of them..yet no match for the hit man.
While sitting 3 rows up just off the O zone(Isles)…I near choked on my beer and pretzel when Muzzin was driven so hard by Martin..moving the glass literally 4 in(and thats tough glass to move ) one of the camera mens camera's was struck causing him to have a bloody eye….now thats hitting. Muzzin was very tentative to ever handle the puck again..he also would rather meet #17 a step late in the corners.
Hell I say try it on the CC idea the theory's there for sure…Cluster also…but when its time to get mean and lean theres only one choice Why…the league now understands #17's going to finish checks no matter what..your not going to bully threaten fight or any of the usual tactics….and if you do he will answer with a more violent response..be it hitting or dropping them..thats why he is rarely challenged unlike his first yr. or 2 in the league(Any one else have this ability?). I do feel tho..Marts is not a good add to Tav/Okie….rather Vanek/Bailey/Martin…..Tav/Okie have what I will call the wiggles…always wiggling around looking for the extra pass(since they are easily kept outside and if they do find a lane its all them muscle can't help the style). The three mentioned are strong in their own right finisher/passer/muscle and tenacity…Bailey plays bigger with Martin and Vanek will now have room from the wiggle twins;)
Just my thoughts Pointy….not disagreeing ..just would like the team to play to its strengths….By the way..Will Smith now owns a Martin jersey:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
One prob.friend..a closer look shows.. tho he does corner crash he more than not is on the losing end..picking himself off the ice with the d-man having the puck moving it ..catching the line deep in the zone…the efforts there for sure..just not enough punch to have him go in 1st…its occurs more than not on the 4th line already…by no means is this a knock on him…rather just the wrong tool being 1st man in. Brown..yes i did ..he was outmatched in the 1st by the hit man #17 when on the ice together..only registering 1 hit to Martins 5 in the first..why? he was too busy worrying about getting run over(looking over his shoulder) He did pick up his hitting game in the second..he was also left alone as explained above..Marts not seeing the ice for the 1st 8 mins of the second due to sp. team play..you see coaching have this problem fitting in the extra 4th line guy when bolton plays as well..instead of keeping momentum certain players generate..by sliding them in to another line for a shift…momentum gets lost by just rolling 3 lines till the PK guy that was used is rested for full line duty.
Dominate NHL hitters are few and far between..Brown is one of them..yet no match for the hit man.
While sitting 3 rows up just off the O zone(Isles)…I near choked on my beer and pretzel when Muzzin was driven so hard by Martin..moving the glass literally 4 in(and thats tough glass to move ) one of the camera mens camera's was struck causing him to have a bloody eye….now thats hitting. Muzzin was very tentative to ever handle the puck again..he also would rather meet #17 a step late in the corners.
Hell I say try it on the CC idea the theory's there for sure…Cluster also…but when it time to get mean and lean theres only one choice Why…the league now understands #17's going to finish checks no matter what..your not going to bully threaten fight or any of the usual tactics….and if you do he will answer with a more violent response..be it hitting or dropping them..thats why he is rarely challenged unlike his first yr. or 2 in the league. I do feel tho..Marts is not a good add to Tav/Okie….rather Vanek/Bailey/Martin…..Tav/Okie have what I will call the wiggles…always wiggling around looking for the extra pass. The three mentioned are strong in their own right finisher/passer/muscle and tenacity…Bailey plays bigger with Martin and Vanek will now have room from the wiggle twins;)
Just my thoughts Pointy….not disagreeing ..just would like the team to play to its strengths….By the way..Will Smith now owns a Martin jersey:laugh:

You mentioned Bailey and Martin before and I agree, I could see it helping Bailey back into a more comfortable groove knowing killer is on the ice with him. I also remember that check you mentioned. Muzzin headed back to the bench immediately after, yes?

For the first line Casey is smaller than I'd like - no question - but just trying to find the best choice out of this bunch is not easy. Overall our top 9 is too small mentally, physically, both but we know I am being a broken record about that. The choices are limited. The team needs to find an answer to the top line's lack of size somewhere, and a real corner presence.

The more I see Martin the more I want him matching the other club's top line whether it is on a dedicated checking unit or inserted on our top line, and alternated depending on matchups to maintain that, for the reasons you mentioned. Other club's first lines do not like playing against him. He also agitates, as opposed to say just squishing players, enough to take them off their game. I will never be happy with him on an "energy" unit. He has more to offer than that, no matter what a meaningless blogger thinks. ;)

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
Capuano won't be fired until they get back from the road trip at least. Do you think this franchise would pay for an extra flight back from the west coast?

camper*

You mentioned Bailey and Martin before and I agree, I could see it helping Bailey back into a more comfortable groove knowing killer is on the ice with him. I also remember that check you mentioned. Muzzin headed back to the bench immediately after, yes?

For the first line Casey is smaller than I'd like - no question - but just trying to find the best choice out of this bunch is not easy. Overall our top 9 is too small mentally, physically, both but we know I am being a broken record about that. The choices are limited. The team needs to find an answer to the top line's lack of size somewhere, and a real corner presence.

The more I see Martin the more I want him matching the other club's top line whether it is on a dedicated checking unit or inserted on our top line, and alternated depending on matchups to maintain that, for the reasons you mentioned. Other club's first lines do not like playing against him. He also agitates, as opposed to say just squishing players, enough to take them off their game. I will never be happy with him on an "energy" unit. He has more to offer than that, no matter what a meaningless blogger thinks. ;)

Got your game film from lets say last 3 games?….What i am once again witnessing is this..since more than anyone I have watched this kid since Blenheim…Watch his puck carrying…its coming back? From day one since he was brought up ..he was brought to bring muscle..this he did without even a sweat…since it was very obvious he had punch/tenacity/no quit and frankly could dominate physically…yet being role modeled into exactly what the Isles need…Muscle with smarts on when to use it…..the team literally left him to do his thing since the top line problems are more urgent than helping develop his skill game. Now back to his puck carrying…it is very efficient….he has had no reason to use it..since face it look who he has been playing with the last yrs……in 40 sec shifts after getting the tap to go cause some excitement..which he always did nicely….his puck skills were not used…and lets face it..was he supposed to come off the bench and stick handle around everyone on the 4th line?…of coarse not….you do lose confidence in what you do not use since you are also not required to use it:nod: I have said this before..this is a great team player…he will do what is asked of him…and thats been…."GO RACK UP THE SOB"S MARTY"…and as league leading hitting performances show..he said "OK THATS WHAT YOU NEED>>THATS WHAT I WILL DO". Pointy ..watch the tape…the puck carrying are few and far between yet they want to bust out again. Simply put..what do you think a #17 with what he already brings is worth netting 20G…..Remember i never said he was going to stick handle his way around in a tel. phone booth….thats not his game….but a Boston/Philly style of game ..smash mouth hockey…This is not a smash mouth team..you know this as well as I. Its all about Personel and what style of game your team plays.:nod:

Bailey and Martin on the PK was great last yr…two reason …their was hitting on the PK by the way..which caused turnovers leading to 4 short handed goals while the two PK'd..it was changed for one reason…2 face-off guys on the PK….The PK soon went to shat…these guys read and feed off each other…both understanding their strengths…never mind Bailey was more physical with Martin…WHY…wouldn't you be..self explanatory..Bailey even fought with Martin on the ice..you see any of that now?

One other thing…yes he does agitate…but not in the manner of a Clutter or any of the rat type agitators…watch the face-offs…he talks into your ear blowing sweet nothings that intimidate….this works better than any yapping a rat can do….why…he is believable..the bad guys know he has and will do what he says….Rat agitators..you just scratch….how in the heck do you scratch this guy?….you put up or shut up.
Vintage aggitating as in the case of Mclaren….Marts is hammering leafs…Mclaren wants to talk to him..look at the tape..Marts turns skates right to him lets him grab his jersey….WHy?…he knows he was getting to them now draw the pim..but no due to Tor refs…..also the case when Marts let that dumbo who's name slips me on EDM/Winny Marts let him grab his jersey and hold him close with a big smile on his yap…Why? once again he knows he was getting to them…anyone thinking scared to fight is way off coarse….its vintage Martin do whats best for the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I noticed quite a few comments recommending that the Islanders need to go to the front of the net more. I was at the game last night, so I got to see things that aren't televised, because the camera follows the puck (as it should).

Brock Nelson goes to the front of the net. He's big, hard to move and can take the abuse. The more he plays, the better he's going to be and I think he'll eventually be the best forward on the team outside of Tavares.

I was once willing to give Cappy the benefit of the doubt, since I always questioned the Islanders roster and felt it was unfair to judge his coaching based on this team. When he started sitting Nelson in favor of Regin or PMB, it put me in the catagory of the Cappy should be fired crowd.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
FYI. Saw Greg Picker on my way back from having a butt. He looked pissed. Wanted to take a picture with him but unfortunately my phone was dead.

LA fans were pretty ruthless. I stayed til the end and was abused on the way out. Even a girl was laughing at me. Hopefully I leave Anaheim in a better mood.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
FYI. Saw Greg Picker on my way back from having a butt. He looked pissed. Wanted to take a picture with him but unfortunately my phone was dead.

LA fans were pretty ruthless. I stayed til the end and was abused on the way out. Even a girl was laughing at me. Hopefully I leave Anaheim in a better mood.

I got some crap too from the LA fans. Let's face it, whatever they said to you regarding the Islanders is probably true. There's no way you can defend this team!

The Anaheim fan is nicer in general. I've seen the Yankees play at Dodger Stadium and I've seen them down in Anaheim. The Dodger fans (Los Angeles) are basically dirtbags, the Angel fans are a little more respectful.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I got some crap too from the LA fans. Let's face it, whatever they said to you regarding the Islanders is probably true. There's no way you can defend this team!

The Anaheim fan is nicer in general. I've seen the Yankees play at Dodger Stadium and I've seen them down in Anaheim. The Dodger fans (Los Angeles) are basically dirtbags, the Angel fans are a little more respectful.

Haha yeah I know, which is why I kept my mouth shut for the most part. I was gonna go with the 'we have more Cups than you' retaliation, but I'm a Mets fan and I hate when Yankee fans use that.

I was with my Dad so I really wasn't trying to get into anything. I'm pumped for tonight though. Got a good feeling about this one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad