News Article: 30 in 30: Goalies among Maple Leafs questions

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The difference with Schneider, Bernier, Lehner, Markstrom is that they were all highly ranked heading into their draft years as potential 1st round picks all.

So on unfulfilled potential and expectations they get respect until they prove otherwise.

Yeah, not so much. When you are entering, what, year 8 since being drafted and have done no more than the other guy, your false respect no longer carries anything. It's time for results to do the speaking.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
don't know where i said draft position has anything to do with his game. but I mentioned the love affair with Bernier has to do with his pedigree among other things. Because you said you don't know what you're missing, and I kindly pointed out to you where that love affair comes from.

Pedigree = draft position.

As for Reimers glove. if guys have a chance to shoot high glove, they do. if you've ever played real hockey,

Every time you post, "if you've ever played REAL hockey..." is in there. Dude, nobody cares.

you'd know how difficult a task that can be at an organized level vs. teams with a system; I can only imagine that it becomes exponentially more difficult at the NHL level despite a goalies glaring weaknesses.

So he's the world's worst goalie glove side high, but our system prevents high glove shots, so his inability to raise his hand above shoulder height isn't having any impact on his game beyond breakaways and odd man rushes, which means...what exactly? He gets beat a lot on breakaways? Tell me a goalie who doesn't.

but it doesn't change the fact that after a break down, or odd man rushes, etc. everyone goes high glove, and it's an extremely high % shot vs. Reimer. That's the frustrating part about his game.

Like every goalie in the league, Reimer's a butterfly goalie. I think you'll find shooting high on butterfly goalies tends to be the way to go.

But hey, be defensive, because I insulted you personally... oh wait... get a life.

Posted at 1:57AM....

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But good goalies are drafted all over the place not just first round. They should have to take the same amount of time as everyone to prove themselves.

True, but its about resume and potential ..

In Reimer's case there were 10 goalies drafted ahead of him in his draft year.. Whereas in the case of the names you mentioned they were all highly regarded heading into their drafts and went 1st or 2nd round.

Now while Reimer has outperformed many of the goalies drafted ahead of him it continues to be a case of prove you can, while former top ranked goalies with potential its a matter of prove you can't..

Its how life works as the best students coming out of university are the ones that are most sought after, while average students have to work hard to get the same doors opened for themselves from employers.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Its how life works as the best students coming out of university are the ones that are most sought after, while average students have to work hard to get the same doors opened for themselves from employers.

So true, and quite often no matter how hard you work you miss on opportunities left and right because those are given to more talented people. Like Bernier comes and is given contract that is much bigger than Reimer's and very likely the opportunity to start as #1.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Posted at 1:57AM....

Ha! I always thought that people who have time to read forums only at night live most eventful lives as they obviously dont have enough hours in one day to do everything (or live in different time zone, lol). :laugh:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
5. Can Dave Bolland deliver more offense, as Nonis says he can? -- Nonis made a surprising comment shortly after trading for Bolland at the 2013 NHL Draft on June 30. He said he thought Bolland, who scored the Stanley Cup-clinching goal for the Chicago Blackhawks, could do more offensively if given a chance in a higher-profile role. He cited Bolland's numbers in the Ontario Hockey League, when he had 130 points in 65 games with the London Knights in 2005-06.

didn't Bolland play himself off a line with Kane last season?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So true, and quite often no matter how hard you work you miss on opportunities left and right because those are given to more talented people. Like Bernier comes and is given contract that is much bigger than Reimer's and very likely the opportunity to start as #1.

Despite Reimer being the Leafs former starter its rather obvious that its really Bernier's job to lose and Reimer job to earn it back.

You simply don't go out and get a higher potential player in trade and pay him more money and then expect him to be the backup.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Despite Reimer being the Leafs former starter its rather obvious that its really Bernier's job to lose and Reimer job to earn it back.

You simply don't go out and get a higher potential player in trade and pay him more money and then expect him to be the backup.

I'd like to think it's a toss-up and Bernier getting more was just a matter of contract timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad