3 Young Superstars Due for a Regression Next Year

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Draisaitl, Point, and Petterson all had incredible seasons and established themselves amongst the best young players in the game...

But look at these shooting percentages, there's no way they keep shooting this efficiently. Completely unsustainable so expect their goal totals to decrease next year.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

Draisaitl, Point, and Petterson all had incredible seasons and established themselves amongst the best young players in the game...

But look at these shooting percentages, there's no way they keep shooting this efficiently. Completely unsustainable so expect their goal totals to decrease next year.

They said this in Laine's rookie season, and he went on to have even higher Sh% in his sophomore season.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
But I read something the other day that claimed Drai was/is/will be a better goal scorer than Ovi going forward!?!

Something about empty net goals and Ovi getting old??

All that craziness aside, yes, those players will not repeat their goal totals next year. It’s not that they aren’t great players, they are, it’s just they’re not that great of player.

If you get my drift.

Oiler fans should recall a certain player named Eberle and his crazy high shooting percentage that one year....that one year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
But I read something the other day that claimed Drai was/is/will be a better goal scorer than Ovi going forward!?!

All that craziness aside, yes, those players will not repeat their goal totals next year. It’s not that they aren’t great players, they are, it’s just they’re not that great of player.

If you get my drift.

Oiler fans should recall a certain player named Eberle and his crazy high shooting percentage that one year....that one year.
Ovi is the greatest goal scorer of all time, anyone with a functioning brain knows that...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

If you get my drift.

Posts like this are so pointless. The opinion of the extreme minority isn't the entire fan base's opinion.

Hell, there's more Oilers fans saying his SH% isn't sustainable in the 50 goal thread than anyone else.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They said this in Laine's rookie season, and he went on to have even higher Sh% in his sophomore season.
Laine is the poster boy for a player who didn't regress.

Also, that talk was more about his on ice shooting percentage than his individual shooting percentage

Reactions: jaric1862

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Posts like this are so pointless. The opinion of the extreme minority isn't the entire fan base's opinion.

Hell, there's more Oilers fan saying his SH% isn't sustainable in the 50 goal thread than anyone else.

So are posts about Drai having a better one timer than Ovi.......yet here we are.

And to be fair......I did call it “craziness”, which almost everyone should realize is the correct word for it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Draisaitl won't fall back too much.

He's the only guy in that top 5 in the top 30 for shots this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If you get my drift.

Given that it was an Oiler fan who started this thread, maybe it would be prudent not to insist that the entire fanbase answer for the insanity of a few. Especially if they already pretty clearly disagree with that insanity.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Draisaitl will fall bakc to 30 goals 70 point. Nothing wrong with that, but expectations should be set at that

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Draisaitl himself said he'd rather score 20 goals and make the playoffs... I think if he carries his own line next year, or the offence is more spread out, he will regress slightly in points. Probably like 35-40-75

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maintaining a 19.9% shooting percentage isn’t very likely for Tomas Hertl but he did have 29.25 expected goals according to Corsica. Scoring 5.75 goals above expected is pretty common for a talented, non-elite goal scorer.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Draisaitl himself said he'd rather score 20 goals and make the playoffs... I think if he carries his own line next year, or the offence is more spread out, he will regress slightly in points. Probably like 35-40-75
He's much more or a passer when playing center. He looks to pass pretty much exclusively. Which is one of the reasons he isn't as good when away for Connor, he has no one good to pass to.

If he plays 2c I expect ~30 goals + ~75 points.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
So you're telling me Pettersson isn't just a magician who only shoots when he has a guaranteed goal and has the most accurate shot in the league? Because that's what I heard when he was rocking a 30% shooting percentage for his first few months lmfao

The best of the best settle in around 13-16%, so yeah these guys aren't going to be scoring that many points or goals going forward, it's just statistics, it's not roasting your teams favorite player.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Pettersson is a playmaker. His goals might go down per year but his assists is going to be astronomical

25G- 70A. Potential in his prime years especially with him actually having a Dman transition the puck to him now in Hughes

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Laine is the exception (like Stamkos and Ovechkin), not the norm. Even your great players don't typically have shots and goal scoring ability like that.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
He went from 17.6% -> 18.3%, both rates which are all still less than Pettersson/Drai/Point this year. Then consider that Laine went to 12.2% this year.

Since 2005/2006, highest shooting %'s, and scoring 40 goals in a season - Followed by their next best shooting %

Karlsson - 23.4% (14.2% 2nd best)
Draisaitl - 21.6% (16.9% 2nd best)
Point - 21.5% (14.8% 2nd best)
Boyes - 20.8% (15% 2nd best)
Stamkos - 19.8% (His 60 goal year)
Lee - 19.2% (17.8% 2nd best)
Stamkos - 19.2%
Vanek - 18.9% (18.1% 2nd best)
Selanne - 18.7% (15.6% 2nd best)

It is literally unheard of in this era of hockey, for a player to score a lot of goals and shoot at above 20%, and the one guy who was close (Stamkos), had the 2nd best goalscoring year in that time-frame, but still only has a career sh% of 16.9%.

Long story short, anyone who thinks their favorite player will continue to shoot north of 18% is out to lunch

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

If you get my drift.

Still doesn't sound as dumb as Flames fans thinking the Flames would continue their success under Hartley because their team "practiced harder" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad