Confirmed with Link: 3 year extension for Bollig, $1.25m per year cap hit

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It is a good checking line but I give the credit for that to 16/28 more than 52. Not against Bollig but signing is too much for too long when he brings the least of the the three. What does Smith get now?

Kruger and Smith don't do much hitting at all.

Hitting is a key ingredient to a solid 4th line, and Bollig is our best bet for it. You can't have a good checking line with no checking.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Kruger and Smith don't do much hitting at all.

Hitting is a key ingredient to a solid 4th line, and Bollig is our best bet for it. You can't have a good checking line with no checking.

16/28 both bring more-e.g. faceoffs/PK/more scoring in addition to solid play. I am not against resigning Bollig; just see price/duration as too high.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
16/28 both bring more-e.g. faceoffs/PK/more scoring in addition to solid play. I am not against resigning Bollig; just see price/duration as too high.

Of course they bring more, but that doesn't diminish Bolligs value to the line. They need a guy like Bollig to make room, make hits. I agree the price is too high, but it's not going to hurt us.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Bowman learn from his mistake and sign his soon to be UFA before he pots 20 in the POs en-route to leading the Hawks to a repeat?

A guy can dream, right?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Don't mind the signing but I would have preferred it to be 2 years and only 925k. I wouldn't want extra cap dollars attached to sending Bollig down (if he passed through waivers) if need be in the future.

Could be worse. I think this is similar to the Reaves contract but 1 year less.

We all would prefer that, but you might well be chasing him as a UFA then. We need a banger and he fits in well. Getting a similar player in UFA would likely cost us more.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
As much as I'm not comfortable with it, I can't really make an objective complaint about this extension. What I would have liked and what he signed for isn't far off in the big picture. He's certainly earned a raise at least. Hopefully this contract works out. I'm happy for him regardless.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well sure, everybody would be happy if he signed for less than he did, but the point is that his new contract won't pay him so much that I view it as an overpay. $1.25 million per year at his position with the way that the cap's going isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a steal. Fair for both sides.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
great to see him stick and staying a while here. Guy is a great 4th liner and good for the team. Teammates like him and this is easy to see.
Bollig does not take away a roster spot for any of the prospects. He is a 7-9 minute 4th Liner and that is not what we want Morin or Danault or McNeill to be.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
great to see him stick and staying a while here. Guy is a great 4th liner and good for the team. Teammates like him and this is easy to see.
Bollig does not take away a roster spot for any of the prospects. He is a 7-9 minute 4th Liner and that is not what we want Morin or Danault or McNeill to be.

I would think most people ought to understand Q by now. He's always going to want some type of player like this. Indeed it has next to no barring on skilled prospects. The benefit is that he trusts Bolig to play defensively and wise which boosts his value to the team. He costs more than what you could get another UFA goon for like Scott/Carcillo but he earns it by having more solid play.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
good deal for a good guy.

he can also be easily unloaded if needed when some of our young Rockford forwards are ready to step up and take a spot. this deal though for 3 years is only in reality IMO for next year as the cap hit isn't going to scare a single team away if you need to move him by year 2 of this contract...which will hopefully be the case as Danault, McNeill, TT, Morin, Ross, Kayes, etc are all primed and ready for the big show.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I just found out about this, what a dumb signing, I was hoping for Morin to take his place next year...

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I just found out about this, what a dumb signing, I was hoping for Morin to take his place next year...

Yeah, Morin would do great on the 4th line. All that goal scoring prowess will surely be well utilized on the shutdown line.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, Morin would do great on the 4th line. All that goal scoring prowess will surely be well utilized on the shutdown line.

Shutdown line? Morin is better defensivly than Bolliig if you want to talk shut down. Bollig is the worst defensive player on the team. You have Smith and Kruger which cycle the puck very well, they need some one with them that can compliment that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad