Sportsnet: 3 ways the Maple Leafs can fix their faulty penalty kill

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
We are thin on PK talent. Skill heavy line up and a coach who doesn't want to play our 2 best shut down centers Tavares and Kadri on the pk.

We need to bring in some forwards who can pk. Maybe promote moore. Don't see much pk talent from marlies either.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think the big things are adding one more capable Dman who can kill (like a Braun,Larsson type), and having a Center on each Penalty killing unit (or atleast one, i have no idea why Kadri isn't killing). Also need to try out more people on the penalty kill, as i know a lot of the guys promoted have killed penalties in the minors (like Johnsson and Moore)

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Looking back over time, Kadri has never played the PK. No idea why that is, but since he's played in the NHL, he's never been given PK time.

Tavares was used for his last two season with NYI on the PK. His first season, he was decent, though used in a secondary fashion. The second season below par (11.5 GA/60), used in a secondary fashion. There were seven guys on the team, who had more PK/60 than Tavares, that had a better GA/60 in 17/18 on the Islanders.

Every player on the Leafs, who played a role on the PK last year, had a better GA/60 on the PK, than Tavares had in 17/18.... maybe there is something to that?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Pressure the D instead of having 4 guys stand in a line. Also like others have said, have a center play center. Kadri or Tavares, then lead with the Matthews line after the PK.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We need to find replacements for guys like Hainsey. Muzzin, Zaitsev and Rielly should be three main guys. Maybe Dermott, Rosen, Borgman or Liljegren get a chance as well.

At forward, use Gauthier, Mikheyev, Kapanen, Hyman. Plus Tavares, Moore, Brown and Marner are options as well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
IIRC, last season's main PKers didn't have a regular centre amongst them either (Hyman, Komarov, Brown, Kapanen). The article did note that Komarov excelled at draws though. I was surprised that Tavares wasn't utilized more in that situation given his previous experience with NYI. Going to need both coaching and player personnel to step up going into next season. Perhaps steps have been - and will continue to be - taken to feature a new, and hopefully improved, look there. Worst case scenario is conceding a goal, so an effective PK would be great and important to have. Limiting opportunities should also prove helpful.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Really looking forward to the bruins winning the cup and everybody realizing our team isn’t completely broken like the media is trying to make out, and how close we actually were to being the Stanley cup champs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Really looking forward to the bruins winning the cup and everybody realizing our team isn’t completely broken like the media is trying to make out, and how close we actually were to being the Stanley cup champs.
No closer than we were in 2013.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No closer than we were in 2013.
Yet in 2013 other Leafs fans said if they played an 82 game schedule Toronto would have most likely not even made the playoffs.

Personally speaking losing to Boston this year hurts more than 2013 and 2018 because they were up 3-2 going into Game 6 and had scored first to take a 1-0 lead.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Use skilled forwards. Go to Natural Stat Trick and look at the players who have good underlying PK numbers. It's skilled players. Jaden Schwartz, Timo Meier, Teuvo Teravainen etc. They're great time wasters. We've seen that with Mitch Marner.

Do this and nothing else and the PK looks better next year. I'm not saying go all skill. Marner-Hyman, and Matthews-Brown or something like that would work well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Our D pairing is the worse pk because neither get to pucks fast enough to make puck battles. Our Forwards were not the issue. Better skaters on the D pairing would have seen us have a better pk.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our D pairing is the worse pk because neither get to pucks fast enough to make puck battles. Our Forwards were not the issue. Better skaters on the D pairing would have seen us have a better pk.

I find them way to passive generally speaking. Teams just set up and pass freely around the perimeter until someone slips up and they are awarded a scoring chance. It was like that most of the season and no corrections were made. I do believe that's Smith's baby.

Reactions: diceman934

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Matthews was given PK time everyone would shut up about his ice time, ironically.
Knowing Babcock he would just have Matthews out to win the faceoff and once the puck gets cleared he would get Matthews off the ice, so he replaces him with Hyman. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad