Proposal: 3 way trade: PIT/CAR/NJ

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Zacha sucks, so no thanks from the Pens. Don't need Severson either.

Yah I see people saying this helps Pittsburgh but we downgrade at D and C big time.

Really don't want Skinner at the expense of Brassard. C is more valuable amd with Kessel already here with his lack of D...adding Skinner would be a bad fit imo.

Don't need more Offense..our problem was defense and defense from the wingers vs Washington.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sprong didn't crack Pittsburgh because of how deep they our on RW. He'd make almost every team in the league otherwise last year.

Teravainen (RW) is glued to Aho, Svechnikov (RW) is clearly better, and Williams (RW) plays the shutdown line. Martin Necas will play RW until he is ready for C.

So Sprong would need to play a great defensive game from the 4th line if he wants to make the Canes. Maybe it is just Pittsburgh and Carolina with those barriers.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Teravainen (RW) is glued to Aho, Svechnikov (RW) is clearly better, and Williams (RW) plays the shutdown line. Martin Necas will play RW until he is ready for C.

So Sprong would need to play a great defensive game from the 4th line if he wants to make the Canes. Maybe it is just Pittsburgh and Carolina with those barriers.

I'm not saying he's a fit for Carolina either, as they are deep their too.

Just it is misleading to say Sprong couldn't crack a thin Pittsburgh depth chart. Just untrue, Pittsburgh has one of the deepest RWs in the league. He most certainly was NHL ready last year. Looked good in his 8 games.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm not saying he's a fit for Carolina either, as they are deep their too.

Just it is misleading to say Sprong couldn't crack a thin Pittsburgh depth chart. Just untrue, Pittsburgh has one of the deepest RWs in the league. He most certainly was NHL ready last year. Looked good in his 8 games.

Just to clarify, I don’t think Pittsburgh’s depth is thin. I do think that Pittsburgh’s current depth lacks the offensive upside that people are saying Sprong has.

Intuitively it seems like if Sprong has 50+ point upside then Pittsburgh should milk his cheap contract years for every last drop. Rather than trading him for a guy likely looking for $7+ million right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

You're looking at 1 year. Williams will be a UFA after this year and we don't know that Necas won't be at center next year (in fact, you are just assuming he'll be at RW this year).

Even so, it's not like there's no chance for TT and Svech to be able to play LW either.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You're looking at 1 year. Williams will be a UFA after this year and we don't know that Necas won't be at center next year (in fact, you are just assuming he'll be at RW this year).

Even so, it's not like there's no chance for TT and Svech to be able to play LW either.

Sprong is waiver eligible soon (now?) so it does matter where he fits next year. For Necas, generally teenage Centers coming into the league play the wing of their handedness. Maybe Necas will step right into being a Center, I sure hope so.

The 2nd argument goes the other way as well. Zykov (LW) and Ferland (LW) each have a good amount of Pro experience playing RW.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sprong is waiver eligible soon (now?) so it does matter where he fits next year.

Your missing my point. If he's a quality player they aren't going to waive him, they'll find a spot to keep him on the roster an not waive him as they have flexibility. My point is that if Skinner is moved, it's likely going to be a move that benefits the FUTURE, not just this year. Saying what may not work this year isn't the whole picture and if a deal like this went down, I'm confident the team would make it work. It's fine if you don't like him as a prospect and I won't argue with that as we all have our own views of players, but saying there is no fit is a short term view (thus my point).

Doesn't matter though as I doubt it would happen.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
On easy trading on NHL 18... this trade doesn’t even come close even with how much some players are overvalued in that game.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Time for the trite “hang up the phone” post...

Shero and Waddell hang up so quickly and laugh so hard that they pull their oblique muscles and get hernias requiring surgery. That’s how hard they laugh....

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
Pens get: Skinner (with extension) + Zacha + Severson

Devils get: Maatta + Brassard + Mckeown

Canes get: Pens 2019 1st + NJ 2019 3rd + Sprong

Pens get more scoring up front, some young talent, and more balance in their top 6 D. Severson allows us to eventually move Schultz/Letang when the time comes. Brassard didn’t really fit with us, he could probably turn it around here but I’m a huge fan of Zacha who would slot in as 3C. Pens lose a lot of future here with the 1st+Sprong, however Skinner, Zacha, and Severson are all young enough that I think it’s worth it.

Devils fans have said they need top 4 LHD and top 6 center so I believe this trade helps them and fits their needs. They get Mckeown as a sweetener and to replenish their RHD after trading Severson.

Canes get a 1st and a top prospect who is a scoring winger and fits the mold of the Canes team. They lose Mckeown but with their new RHD depth he really has no chance at the lineup.

Thoughts?
As a Pens fan I would not do this trade, I think Skinner is vastly overrated, Matta is = to or better than Severson and while I like Zacha, I think giving up a 1st, an excellent prospect in Sprong and Brassard is just to much.

From a Devils perspective, I think Brassard is better than Zacha currently but Zacha is still young and probably has equal to or slightly more value at this point due to his age than DB. The upgrade from Severson to Maata and the addition of Mckeown would not be enough for me to part with Zacha for Brassard not to mention the 3rd round pick.

As far as the Canes go, I think they make out the best here. They dump the overrated Skinner and a defenseman that will probably never be more than a 5/6 in Car and they get a 1st, 3rd round pick and a player who is probably going to be even better than Skinner this year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just to clarify, I don’t think Pittsburgh’s depth is thin. I do think that Pittsburgh’s current depth lacks the offensive upside that people are saying Sprong has.

Intuitively it seems like if Sprong has 50+ point upside then Pittsburgh should milk his cheap contract years for every last drop. Rather than trading him for a guy likely looking for $7+ million right now.

A lot of Pens fans are saying the same thing. There's some sense in trading the "maybe" for the "definite" but only so much when, as you say, the definite's gonna want 10 times as much next year.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad