Proposal: 3-way trade NYR/Calgary/Winnipeg

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I agree with other posters that there is no need to get Calgary involved. Hamonic has 2 more years left on his deal and Jets have 2 more years of control of Trouba. Even if he walks UFA you could potentially sign Hamonic at that point. No need to downgrade before than without improving our cap situation by having a high pick or blue chip D prospect on an ELC coming back. Spooner isn't of great interest as we already have waiver issues at forward this offseason. Adding a forward just creates another forward we need to move out.

I'm sure the idea is to keep Skjei to play with Trouba as a top pair of the future so I won't go there.

Rangers 2018 1st could be a starting point as Jets could draft an Evan Bouchard or Bodie Wilde to get a top pair potential RHD to replace Trouba in the future. Add in Libor Hajek or Tampa Bay's 1st and I'd have to start thinking about it IF Trouba made it clear he was leaving. Moving out his Cap hit could allow us to take a run at keeping Stasney in addition to locking Morrissey, Helle, Laine, Lowry and Armia long term. We'd likely have enough to extend Wheeler as well. Someone has to go so given the, hopefully wrong, scenario that Trouba wants out he's the obvious choice to move, IMO. The RHD takes a significant hit but we'd still have Buff, Myers, Poolman/Chiarot.

Walking out of the draft with Bouchard and K'Andre Miller, or someone like that, would be pretty sweet.

Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Vessey, Chytil, Andersson, Howden up front and Skjei, Day, Hajek, Deangelo are all pretty interesting young pieces. (I don't like the D as much as the forwards but if you add Trouba to that group.... scary good team in the not to distant future.)

Reactions: Ola and Huffer

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
So trade your good players because they might get expensive? Yeah he's definitely going to get a raise, but you're always going to have to pay your good players.

Also current defensemen that have a cap hit of 8M+: Subban and Burns. That's it. There are likely to be a few names joining them in the next couple years (Doughty, Karlsson) but I don't see Trouba being among the top 5 paid D-men in the NHL.
Nobody will disagree that Trouba is a great D-Man but will his injury history come into play with whoever tries to sign him? He's only had one season where he hasn't missed at least 17 games. I believe he's close to 20 missed games so far this year.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Jacob Trouba will start to negotiate a new contract with Winnipeg this summer. He is guaranteed to get to UFA in 2 years if he wants to go that route. We all know the water that has passed under the bridge between Trouba and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg will not be able to afford all of their players. Hellebuyck is arbitration eligible coming off a great year. Trouba is arbitration eligible and his agent will want a kings ransom. Morrissey will be a group II with no arbitration rights but he won’t be playing for entry level money again. Winnipeg likes to sign their young guys to expensive long term 2nd contracts. Enstrom is a group III and they want to keep him. Myers and Wheeler will be Group III in 2019. Laine will be a group II in 19. That’s going to be a humongous monster contract. Where are they finding the money to satisfy everyone?

There can from my perspective mainly be two alternative scenarios this summer:
Alternative 1. Trouba loves playing with Winnipeg, and the sick team they are building, and is willing to sign a long-term deal with them.
Alternative 2. Trouba tells Chevy thanks but no thanks, I am only willing to discuss a 1-2 year deal which will take me to UFA.

IF, Trouba opts for Alternative 2, it seems very likely that Trouba won't have along future in Winnipeg. And Chevy must make a decision, either trade him next season or the season after that or risk letting him go for free.

I have -- no clue -- which alternatives Trouba and Chevy will go for. But having followed numerous situations like this the last 2-3 decades in this league, I know that they sometimes end up with a player -- Jacob Trouba in this case -- getting traded. I know that Winnipeg would love to keep Trouba on a long term deal and that there make zero sense for them to trade him if that option is on the table.

But this proposal is based on the assumption that Trouba lets Chevy know that he won't sign for longer than 2 years and that Chevy decides that its time to trade him.

I just want to point that out -- because I know the above can debated endlessly and such debate wouldn't take us any closer to what might or might not happen. Its all speculation. Hence I don't want this thread to be about if Trouba loves it in Winnipeg or not or if Chevy will or won't trade him even if he hates it there. Nobody knows either way so its pretty meaningless to discuss.

What expensive long term contracts have the Jets offered? Scheifele's deal is a steal for a number one center and Ehlers signed a team friendly deal as well. Those deals are both very good and not an overpayment. To have them locked up long term at that $$$ amount is great for Chevy.

What makes you think the Jets want Enstrom back? There's been much speculation that he indeed won't be back, but if he is, he'll be making significantly less. He'll be 34 this fall, has 6 points this year and would play on their third pair. If they bring him back, it's cheap and he is likely gone in 2019 if Niku/Stanley are ready.

As for Myers needing a new contract in 2019, I think that out of all the players who will need contracts, Myers is the odd man out.

Alas, massive trades like this hardly happen. If Trouba is traded, I would suspect a one-for-one type trade (ala Drouin/Sergachev, Larsson/Hall, Jones/Johansen) honestly.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nobody will disagree that Trouba is a great D-Man but will his injury history come into play with whoever tries to sign him? He's only had one season where he hasn't missed at least 17 games. I believe he's close to 20 missed games so far this year.

He is still young and the injuries have been all over the place right, so I don’t think it would have a major impact.

But I do think the contract situation would have a bigger impact than many expect.

If Trouba was locked up on like Adam Larsson deal, sure a late single digit 1st in 19’ and another late 1st in 19’ is fair, hands down.

But from the other GMs perspective — ou are trading for a guy that can walk on you in 2 years. If Gorton gave up those picks for Trouba — would you like the position that puts you in as Trouba’s agent? Would you believe it if Gorts said that he is giving Trouba 7m per but let him walk for nothing for a mil more?

Trouba is going to get paid a ton, and while he is a very good D his future cap hit is factor that will have a big impact what GMs are prepared to give up for him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What expensive long term contracts have the Jets offered? Scheifele's deal is a steal for a number one center and Ehlers signed a team friendly deal as well. Those deals are both very good and not an overpayment. To have them locked up long term at that $$$ amount is great for Chevy.

What makes you think the Jets want Enstrom back? There's been much speculation that he indeed won't be back, but if he is, he'll be making significantly less. He'll be 34 this fall, has 6 points this year and would play on their third pair. If they bring him back, it's cheap and he is likely gone in 2019 if Niku/Stanley are ready.

As for Myers needing a new contract in 2019, I think that out of all the players who will need contracts, Myers is the odd man out.

Alas, massive trades like this hardly happen. If Trouba is traded, I would suspect a one-for-one type trade (ala Drouin/Sergachev, Larsson/Hall, Jones/Johansen) honestly.

@RangerBoy can you reply to this, I got the entire quote from your post... ;)

Seriously though, I of course don’t disagree with your assessment of Ehlers and Schleifes contract.

The point is — Chevy will want to lock up Laine and co just the same way. Right? This means that you cut out the 1st or 2nd bridge contract — which definitely makes those years more expensive. Do you follow? Since Chevy will want to lock up Laine long term he will be more expensive in especially his 4-5 year in this league. Probably a smart move — but you can’t expect those years to be cheap.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
@RangerBoy can you reply to this, I got the entire quote from your post... ;)

Seriously though, I of course don’t disagree with your assessment of Ehlers and Schleifes contract.

The point is — Chevy will want to lock up Laine and co just the same way. Right? This means that you cut out the 1st or 2nd bridge contract — which definitely makes those years more expensive. Do you follow? Since Chevy will want to lock up Laine long term he will be more expensive in especially his 4-5 year in this league. Probably a smart move — but you can’t expect those years to be cheap.

I agree. Someone is getting moved to make room for all of the contracts, but in my opinion it isn’t Trouba, unless, like you say, he makes it clear that he wants out.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why doesn’t Hamonic do anything for Winnipeg?

Why doesn’t you consider a 2nd round pick in 19’ to have a lot of value? Those picks are often considered to have quite a lot of value and especially in a top draft like this one.
Hamonic would be a third pairing defenseman for us. We can't afford to have him @ 3.8 next year, and certainly not the year after that.

A second rounder is a valuable pick, but it is basically redundant in a deal for Trouba.

You really don't have the assets it would take to fetch Trouba.

Reactions: Snowman and Ola

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I doubt we're trading Trouba to get older on D. It'd be for a similarly aged dman, or a younger dman with upside + picks from a team that needs a top 4 dman and doesn't want to wait.

And obviously any trade would involve Trouba having agreed to a contract with the team prior to the trade.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I doubt we're trading Trouba to get older on D. It'd be for a similarly aged dman, or a younger dman with upside + picks from a team that needs a top 4 dman and doesn't want to wait.

And obviously any trade would involve Trouba having agreed to a contract with the team prior to the trade.

NVM

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hamonic would be a third pairing defenseman for us. We can't afford to have him @ 3.8 next year, and certainly not the year after that.

A second rounder is a valuable pick, but it is basically redundant in a deal for Trouba.

You really don't have the assets it would take to fetch Trouba.

Have that much changed since Chevy was willing to do Trouba straight up for Hamonic?

OTOH, in one sense young players and Ds are coming into this league having an impact faster than before.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Have that much changed since Chevy was willing to do Trouba straight up for Hamonic?

OTOH, in one sense young players and Ds are coming into this league having an impact faster than before.
Chevy was NEVER willing to trade Trouba straight up for Hamonic. If Chevy would have been the trade would be done.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Travis H interest faded three 2.5 years ago.....no interest in him.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Let me get this straight. Calgary gave up a 1st plus two 2nds for Hamonic and this thread is Hamonic and Spooner for the ever steady Trouba. Sorry no from Jets.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Zucc + Rangers 2nd for Adam Fox + Bennett

then

Fox + Boston 1st (assuming it is higher than Tampa 1st) for Trouba

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Zucc + Rangers 2nd for Adam Fox + Bennett

then

Fox + Boston 1st (assuming it is higher than Tampa 1st) for Trouba

Why would the Jets even remotely consider that offer for Trouba.....virtually every team in the nhl would out bid that deal

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So BT trades a lottery pick and two 2nd rounder for the bottom of the 1st and 2 low end prospects?

You think he is that stupid?

BTW, Hamonic is fine on the Flames, At least he is better than anybody they can ever find at the bottom of the 1st round and in 2019 for god sake.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd rather send Trouba direct to the NYR for the package you give to Calgary for Hamonic. But that isn't close either.

If we couldn't do better than that for Trouba, I'd just keep him for the 2 years and let him walk.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I wounder if Trouba wanna leave now, when Jets start their time as a contender, do he really wanna get traded and have the luck to end up in a bottom team again, and play with a Mark Stuart like player?
He cant be that stupid, can he?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd rather send Trouba direct to the NYR for the package you give to Calgary for Hamonic. But that isn't close either.

If we couldn't do better than that for Trouba, I'd just keep him for the 2 years and let him walk.

Could be!

Have this in mind though, the time to trade for Trouba is now though, ie before his next contract is signed, and you can call up his agent and negotiate a long term deal before the trade.

What would Trouba and his agent ask for in these negotiations? Dougie Hamilton got 5.75m per three years ago for 4 RFA years and 2 UFA years. Trouba is 24, have 1-2 RFA years and a guaranteed route to UFA.

I think it’s likely to assume that the ask would be: (1) We will only negotiate with a team in a location we really like, (2) 7m x 7y and NMC year 2-7.

And that ask might be on the low side. It’s ridiculous to expect top Ds in this league to make less than 7m per going forward. The Cap is going up, the NHL is doing well. The loonie has stopped falling. Next summer OEL, Doughty, Karlsson and McDonagh are hitting the UFA market.

When Brian Campbell got 7m per in 08’ it was 14% of his team’s cap. 14% of a 85m cap is 12.2m per.

7m per for 2019-2025 is not going to be top D money, it’s going to be second rate D money. A number of millions below the top guys.

How many GMs will call up Chevy willing to unload a bunch of top assets to him under those conditions? All it takes is one, sure, but I think we have seen it go both ways in this league.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Source? It’s not hard to find reports from Staples and co that Snow turned down the swap.

Isles have no interest in trading Travis Hamonic for Jacob Trouba

Andy Graziano, SNY.TV: The Jets signing of Dustin Byfuglien certainly opened things up in regards to Trouba. With reports out of the Jets young, pending restricted free agent's camp that he is starting at a multi-year extension worth seven million per, I don't see this as a match at all in a swap for Hamonic. In fact, I would be hard pressed to believe Garth Snow ever considered it at any great length.
As hard (or even impossible) as it is going to be to find someone with the ridiculously good contract that Hamonic is signed to, Snow does want someone with term. Not restricted term. True term. Why would he want the headache of negotiating with Trouba and his representation, who as Arthur Staple noted, has been behind some recent holdouts.
From the Jets side, of course they would move Trouba for Hamonic. I'm not here to knock Jacob or his game, but he is still very raw playing the game's toughest position to master. Who knows what he will become? But all reports have him not exactly being in the seven million a year range. I believe if they (the Jets) could get that done yesterday, they sign off and never look back.

So an opinion piece, with no sources the Jets were the least bit interested in trading Trouba for Hamonic.

Reminds me of this TDL where we were "in" on every pending FA except the one we actually traded for.

Also, yikes @ the bolded.

Reactions: Evil Little

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So an opinion piece, with no sources the Jets were the least bit interested in trading Trouba for Hamonic.

Reminds me of this TDL where we were "in" on every pending FA except the one we actually traded for.

Also, yikes @ the bolded.

Staples get some info from the Islanders, I was referring to him:

Re the part you bolded it’s Feb 16’, there were some ups and downs back then. I agree with you though that it was over the top.

BTW, my understanding was the Chevy was following up on a lot of alternatives prior to the deadline, has that been refuted?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad