Proposal: 3 way trade between TOR COL ANA

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
The Avs as a team are so stacked I have always been incredibly fascinated seeing how smart GM's handle it. We have seen both WPG and NSH mess up similar good spots, so I will be interested to see if Sakic has learned from their mistakes and fairs better.

They are such a crazy fun team that I would really enjoy to see win a cup the next decade, maybe more. Gotta love what they are doing.
Exciting, young, fast, score lots of goals. What's not to love about this team now and in the future. Sakic has us set up beautifully for the next 5 years (minimum). I don't see him messing it up now with how patient and calculated he has been. I'm personally hoping we go the Chicago route and grab 3 cups in 5 years and I don't see it as unrealistic.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Exciting, young, fast, score lots of goals. What's not to love about this team now and in the future. Sakic has us set up beautifully for the next 5 years (minimum). I don't see him messing it up now with how patient and calculated he has been. I'm personally hoping we go the Chicago route and grab 3 cups in 5 years and I don't see it as unrealistic.

1st step is getting the talent, which they have knocked out of the park

the 2nd and just as hard step, is keeping that talent together and navigating a roster as the core gets more expensive

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
1st step is getting the talent, which they have knocked out of the park

the 2nd and just as hard step, is keeping that talent together and navigating a roster as the core gets more expensive
With the way the roster is built and the contracts coming off the books at the right time, coupled together with the great farm system that has been created, I think we are going to be fine. It will definitely get more difficult as we move along but by the time we are getting tight hopefully the cap will be going up. I see the first tough one in 2023 getting Byram in under the cap if he turns out to be the player that he is projected to be. Having too much top level talent on a team is a good problem to have though.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
With the way the roster is built and the contracts coming off the books at the right time, coupled together with the great farm system that has been created, I think we are going to be fine. It will definitely get more difficult as we move along but by the time we are getting tight hopefully the cap will be going up. I see the first tough one in 2023 getting Byram in under the cap if he turns out to be the player that he is projected to be. Having too much top level talent on a team is a good problem to have though.

They don't have any bad contracts which helps a lot. Looking over everything I could see maybe Compher or if it gets really bad Donskoi being shopped. It also comes around to being able to see how they wont be able to pay Z too much. I will be interesting to see how negotiations with Graves go for them, he put up a seriously killer season.

In the end of the day it will all come down to that and how well the team can D&D replacements as ELC's are solid gold in this league.

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
They don't have any bad contracts which helps a lot. Looking over everything I could see maybe Compher or if it gets really bad Donskoi being shopped. It also comes around to being able to see how they wont be able to pay Z too much. I will be interesting to see how negotiations with Graves go for them, he put up a seriously killer season.

In the end of the day it will all come down to that and how well the team can D&D replacements as ELC's are solid gold in this league.
Compher and Donskoi could get shopped down the road but we are absolutely fine with them for now. I don't see Sakic overpaying Graves. He for sure had a good year but at the same time it was only one year. 2-3 year bridge prove it deal around 3M is my guess. Hopefully it actually starts with a 2. Like I said before, I don't see Z being in an Avalanche uniform after this year. One luxury I would still like to add is a second line winger as long as the term and AAV aren't outrageous. We do have a wealth of solid depth and some of it will definitely need to be shopped at some point.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Compher and Donskoi could get shopped down the road but we are absolutely fine with them for now. I don't see Sakic overpaying Graves. He for sure had a good year but at the same time it was only one year. 2-3 year bridge prove it deal around 3M is my guess. Hopefully it actually starts with a 2. Like I said before, I don't see Z being in an Avalanche uniform after this year. One luxury I would still like to add is a second line winger as long as the term and AAV aren't outrageous. We do have a wealth of solid depth and some of it will definitely need to be shopped at some point.

This year and next they are fine, its the summer after this where they will be into fun zone. Wonder if they can convince a UFA to sign there on a 1 year deal to try and win

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
This year and next they are fine, its the summer after this where they will be into fun zone. Wonder if they can convince a UFA to sign there on a 1 year deal to try and win
I played around a bit on CapFriendly and I think we could afford to actually go 3 years for a UFA if we really wanted to. Any more than that though and we would be severely hooped.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I played around a bit on CapFriendly and I think we could afford to actually go 3 years for a UFA if we really wanted to. Any more than that though and we would be severely hooped.

With guaranteed contract, always better safe than sorry. You can always have space but once you are locked in thats it. Options will always exist until they dont if that makes sense

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
With guaranteed contract, always better safe than sorry. You can always have space but once you are locked in thats it. Options will always exist until they dont if that makes sense
I get what you're saying, and a UFA on a one year deal this year comes off the books and there's always that option again the next year for a different UFA with the cap staying flat. Most of the cap-strapped teams will remain that way for a while so keeping some floating cap space could be a great idea year to year until it is time to re-sign Mackinnon and Byram. Then I think the fun will be over. Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad