Post-Game Talk: 3 Stars: Wings beat Isles in OT 4-3

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1. Seider
2. Compher
3. Raymond

Great bounceback. Nice to see a win despite Debrincat and Larkin looking like absolute dog poop out there. Hopefully this team can start to "normalize" their effort level soon enough and play closer to 60 minutes per game.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
1. Compher
2. Raymond
3. Husso

These are the games that good teams win. Shutdown by an elite goaltender for 40 minutes, trailing by 2 and still find a way to get 2 pts.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah Perron should be O zone only and PP starts go forward. He just doesn't have the speed anymore.

I didn't get to watch due to the Bally Sports shenanigans, but I'm glad to see they clawed back. That Seider pass to Compher was sick!

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Is anyone else done with Perron? Bad penalties aside, he doesn't bring much of anything to the lineup anymore. I'd argue that Veleno/Rasmussen/anyone... can play his role on the powerplay which is about the only redeeming quality he still has.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is anyone else done with Perron? Bad penalties aside, he doesn't bring much of anything to the lineup anymore. I'd argue that Veleno/Rasmussen/anyone... can play his role on the powerplay which is about the only redeeming quality he still has.
He still has a skill set that can be helpful, but he seems to have slowed down enough that he's in position far less often to use it.

I'm fine with him as a placeholder for this season, pending any kids that knock down the door. But I don't have much interest in him after this year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
He still has a skill set that can be helpful, but he seems to have slowed down enough that he's in position far less often to use it.

I'm fine with him as a placeholder for this season, pending any kids that knock down the door. But I don't have much interest in him after this year.
He and Petry so far seem to be the guys where the wheels have fallen off a bit and honestly they could both probably be replaced by kids and we wouldn't notice a big difference. In fact the kids might actually be better. With that said, I'm not opposed to the leadership and winning pedigree they both bring, but they definitely need to get choice starts to limit how badly their speed in particular can be exploited. Peron shouldn't be out there in a late game situation, and Petry should probably only be there if we have a d zone start. He can't do the transition anymore.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't think Veleno Rasmussen or anyone can play his role on the PP but I don't think he's very valuable 5 on 5 outside of being smart along the boards and I think as the season will go on he will slow down even more. Although last night Perron-Compher-Copp statistically had the ice tipped in their favor more than any other line and it wasn't particularly close, they out shot attempted their opponent 14-7. (edit: 4th line did as well, Czarnik and Kostin were positives for sure last night)

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
This is inconvenient for the "Compher is trash" narrative
Yea the narrative that Compher is Copp 2.0, is wrong in my opinion. Copp can not make the plays he did last night. I'd like to revise my previous thoughts, perhaps we should build
Cat-Lark-XX
XX-Comp-Ray
Fabs-Veleno-Sprong
Kostin-Copp-XX

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I don't think Veleno Rasmussen or anyone can play his role on the PP but I don't think he's very valuable 5 on 5 outside of being smart along the boards and I think as the season will go on he will slow down even more. Although last night Perron-Compher-Copp statistically had the ice tipped in their favor more than aner line and it wasn't particularly close, they out shot attempted their opponent 14-7. (edit: 4th line did as well, Czarnik and Kostin were positives for sure last night)
Agreed on the Perron point there. His value 5 on 5 is just not what it used to be. How much of that was due to Comp dominating faceoffs last night though. Larkin was badddddd in this regard. Two powerplays were essentially negated by lost faceoffs, which resulted in 45 seconds of work to get back to being setup in the offensive zone

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. Husso (looking like a legit #1 right now)
2. Raymond
3. Seider

Spacegoat: Larkin. Contoversial, but he's our leader and outside of one nice pass to DeBrincat I didn't really notice him much. 1 point in the last 3 games where we haven't looked great suggests we will go as far as Larkin can guide us. Again, only coining him as the spacegoat for this 1 game but bigger picture he has been great and is trending to put up 120 points this season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I appreciate the veteran presence and how much he seems to coach younger guys from the bench, but his defensive play and transition play has not been realgud. It's giving shades of Bobby Ryan in his final year as a Wing.

I'm kind of thinking it's a situation where he's either traded this year back to the Blues to finish his career or signs there in the offseason to retire a blue.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I appreciate the veteran presence and how much he seems to coach younger guys from the bench, but his defensive play and transition play has not been realgud. It's giving shades of Bobby Ryan in his final year as a Wing.

I'm kind of thinking it's a situation where he's either traded this year back to the Blues to finish his career or signs there in the offseason to retire a blue.

Well we finally agree on something today, lol. Bobby Ryan is a good comparison. He's just really slow. Approaching Abby/Svech slow. To me that's what's hurting the transition game and defensive play that you've mentioned. When he backchecks he's always behind the play. He can't skate with the puck anymore. I'm surprised at how fast he's declining. I'd be surprised if he's re-signed too. He's gonna be the goat a few times this season.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I thought Perron was one of best forwards in the first. Made some good plays in the offensive zone. That penalty he took in the 3rd cancelled that out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I thought Perron was one of best forwards in the first. Made some good plays in the offensive zone. That penalty he took in the 3rd cancelled that out.

I think he's a defensive liability, but he's definitely useful in the offensive zone. More than he gets credit for, the Compher goal doesn't happen if he's not occupying the defenseman in front of the crease. When the D tried to rotate to Compher, it looks like he held the stick (or trapped it in his arm) just enough to slow him down. It's a team sport....

Kudos on Seider for making the play instead of taking the easier one which would have been to slide the puck over to a wide open Walman.

Capture.PNG

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Yea the narrative that Compher is Copp 2.0, is wrong in my opinion. Copp can not make the plays he did last night. I'd like to revise my previous thoughts, perhaps we should build
Cat-Lark-XX
XX-Comp-Ray
Fabs-Veleno-Sprong
Kostin-Copp-XX
I'd replace one of those "XX" with Rasmussen, personally. I can't give up on that guy. He cares too much and shows flashes of smart power forward, what I hoped Mantha would be, Franzen 2.0.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I'd replace one of those "XX" with Rasmussen, personally. I can't give up on that guy. He cares too much and shows flashes of smart power forward, what I hoped Mantha would be, Franzen 2.0.
Yea myself as well, I just left it open (especially in his case), as I am not sure where he best fits in the lineup. The post as specifically for this season, and not some future projection

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

My only real beef with his play is taking stupid penalties late in games. A veteran should know better.

It's like he's trying to fill in for Fabbri or something.

Oct 18, 2006
I just watched this and will offer a controversial take. For 2 periods I was so frustrated with Raymond. I’m sick of his turnovers that lead to goals. See similarities with Tatar. Then he absolutely turned it on for the 3rd and OT. He’s still so inconsistent. At his best a real weapon but a lot of stuff I don’t like.

1. Compher
2. Husso
3. Seider

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Results

Seider - 3.5
Compher - 3.5
Raymond - 2
Husso - 1

Last edited: