3 Regulation Wins in the last 20

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
...And some want Ted Nolan to stick around.

The guy is not an NHL coach, end of thought. The game has passed him by and he refuses to adapt.

Don't give me the whole talent nonsense, because there is plenty of talent on this team. Not enough talent to win a cup, but enough talent to win more than 3 games in regulation in the last 20.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
...And some want Ted Nolan to stick around.

The guy is not an NHL coach, end of thought. The game has passed him by and he refuses to adapt.

Don't give me the whole talent nonsense, because there is plenty of talent on this team. Not enough talent to win a cup, but enough talent to win more than 3 games in regulation in the last 20.

:laugh:

I haven't watched many games the past couple weeks because of school, work, and catching the flu bug, but that made me giggle. Our defense would look good if they played in the AHL, and our offense has a couple waiver wire pick-ups and glorified AHLers. There is hardly any talent on this team. And the talent we do have is not surrounded by any talent.

Miller was playing out of his mind early this year. He has regressed a bit. Enroth is just blah. If Miller was playing lights out like earlier in the year I'm sure this team's flaws would be covered up again...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
They are playing hard, which means something. We all know there is no 1st line talent on the Sabres, very little 2nd line talent.

I am watching games again. I actually stopped watching earlier because it was just so bad. They were outplayed so bad.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
:laugh:

I haven't watched many games the past couple weeks because of school, work, and catching the flu bug, but that made me giggle. Our defense would look good if they played in the AHL, and our offense has a couple waiver wire pick-ups and glorified AHLers. There is hardly any talent on this team. And the talent we do have is not surrounded by any talent.

Miller was playing out of his mind early this year. He has regressed a bit. Enroth is just blah. If Miller was playing lights out like earlier in the year I'm sure this team's flaws would be covered up again...

4 Olympic players and how many 1st round picks will we get for guys at the deadline?!?!

Don't act like this team is full of AHLers. AHLers don't return 1st round picks.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
4 Olympic players and how many 1st round picks will we get for guys at the deadline?!?!

Don't act like this team is full of AHLers. AHLers don't return 1st round picks.

They have the worst team in the league on paper, and it's really not that close. I don't know what else to tell you.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
One of those Olympians is a rookie, and one of them is our backup goaltender. Tallinder is an older man now, albeit still a candidate for Team Sweden... not nearly the average to above average player he was in his prime. Miller is the only guy I'd really give you anything on, and he is one of the few reasons we've done anything this year.

That leaves Moulson and Ott as the remainder of our incredibly talented, Olympic and potentially 1st round pick deserving roster.

Methinks you're thinking a bit bass ackwards. 3-5 players a hockey team does not make.

EDIT: Maybe he's joking/trolling? I really hope so.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
One of those Olympians is a rookie (Girgs), and one of them is our backup goaltender. Tallinder is an older man now, albeit still a candidate for Team Sweden... not nearly the average to above average player he was in his prime. Miller is the only guy I'd really give you anything on.

That leaves Moulson and Ott as the remainder of our incredibly talented team.

Methinks you're thinking a bit bass ackwards. 3-5 players a hockey team does not make.

I don't want to stray this debate off topic, but Tallinder was far better than average in his prime years.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I don't want to stray this debate off topic, but Tallinder was far better than average in his prime years.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
I only started following at the tail end of that era, so I probably wasn't too savvy during his prime. That being said, doesn't change the fact he isn't that man anymore.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
One of those Olympians is a rookie, and one of them is our backup goaltender. Tallinder is an older man now, albeit still a candidate for Team Sweden... not nearly the average to above average player he was in his prime. Miller is the only guy I'd really give you anything on, and he is one of the few reasons we've done anything this year.

That leaves Moulson and Ott as the remainder of our incredibly talented, Olympic and potentially 1st round pick deserving roster.

EDIT: Maybe he's joking/trolling? I really hope so.

You don't think you could get high picks for guys like Myers, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Ehrhoff, Foligno and Pysyk?!?!

Again, this team isn't playoff caliber, however, they are better than historically bad.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
You don't think you could get high picks for guys like Myers, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Ehrhoff, Pysyk?!?!

Again, this team isn't playoff caliber, however, they are better than historically bad.
I wouldn't suspect they would move most of those players this deadline, as was the timeframe suggested in your post. Moving Myers and Hodgson for picks would be horrendous asset management.

And I'm pretty sure a year or two ago, we couldn't give Stafford away (if we could now).

And I'm not sure I can guarantee a 1st for all of those guys anyways. I think I was a bit generous saying Ott could pull one in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't suspect they would move most of those players this deadline, as was the timeframe suggested in your post. Moving Myers and Hodgson for picks would be horrendous asset management.

And I'm pretty sure a year or two ago, we couldn't give Stafford away (if we could now).

And I'm not sure I can guarantee a 1st for all of those guys anyways. I think I was a bit generous saying Ott could pull one in.

It's not about moving those guys, but judging their value around the league to give evidence that the roster is better than the record suggests.

Although, I think this is a typical Darcy roster of late that is worse than the sum of it's parts.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's not about moving those guys, but judging their value around the league to give evidence that the roster is better than the record suggests.
And I think that's uneducated speculation at best. Would you be willing to admit you could absolutely get a first for Ott or Stafford?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Although, I think this is a typical Darcy roster of late that is worse than the sum of it's parts.

Exactly!!!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

That is a silly arguement. Stack our tradeable group against any team in the league. We really don't have much. That they can return things doesn't make them a better team.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Add in the fact that we've also made moves that hurt the on ice product in the short run but will be good for the future. These things have further weakened the type of team we are icing right now. Like Pysyk getting sent down in time to play in Rochester during the break. Add in the Myers injury and we now have a much weaker defense. Short term it means lots of Weber, McBain and Sulzer but long run we are better off with Pysyk in Rochester right now. As well as someone like Larsson who is really coming into his own down there. If those two were up we would be a better team but its not about short term gains at the moment. Even things as maddening as putting Leino, Omark and Dags in the top 6 more frequently than the more talented youngsters on the roster are done with an eye towards shielding the youngsters.

The decisions being made with the current roster are not being made with the idea of trying to win right now or consistently ice our best players within the organization. Its with an eye towards development for the younger players. I would think that would be obvious at this point.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
While I strongly disagree about us having talent, Nolan definitely does need to get crticized here.

I get it, he's a "motivator". Not an x's and o's guy or a game planning guy. That's fine, but if youre not going to do it at least get your assistants to help you. Because giving Omark the most defensive zone starts on the team in some games in unacceptable utilization of players. Constantly having McBain and Weber out there up against Crosby (Bylsma abusing Nolan's lack of matchups) or at the end of regulation in a tie game (they gave up a goal to lose the game before OT) is flat out ****** and amateur coaching.

Matchups are important. Game planning is important. Strategy is important. Utilizing last change on home ice is important. Nolan is ****ing useless except at getting guys to play hard. Works for now because the team is so bad that is masks his shortcoming, but as soon as this team gets some expectations he better figure it out quick. If he is not gonna do it, then why the hell are Teppo and Sacco not picking up the slack?

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
So we're cheering for the tank to get a high draft pick......but complaining about not enough wins?

I'm confused.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

are you being serious?

What a team is willing to pay in trade value to add a "missing piece" or "fill a hole", absolutely does not lend any relevant value to the quality of the current Buffalo Sabres roster

i.e Paul Gaustad for a 1st.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So we're cheering for the tank to get a high draft pick......but complaining about not enough wins?

I'm confused.

OP is clearly anti-tank and wants to make a heroic run to the 12th pick again. Chill dude, this is how the team gets better in the long run. Go cheer for the Pens, Ducks, or Hawks if you wanna root for a team in win-now mode.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
OP is clearly anti-tank and wants to make a heroic run to the 12th pick again. Chill dude, this is how the team gets better in the long run. Go cheer for the Pens, Ducks, or Hawks if you wanna root for a team in win-now mode.

My thoughts exactly.

I hope the Sabres keep this winning pace. The talent level should ensure that.

Especially with Linus "clutch" Omark being waived.

:sarcasm:

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My thoughts exactly.

I hope the Sabres keep this winning pace. The talent level should ensure that.

Especially with Linus "clutch" Omark being waived.

:sarcasm:

9 points back of Edmonton (albeit with the 3 game lag) and a 4 game losing streak...things are looking up for pick 1 or 2, unless something...stupid happens. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00