GDT: #3|Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights|7:00PM EST|10/11/18|Riiiiiikooooooollaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You pretty much nailed it. I think Johnson would actually work well with Riikola. Schultz would work well with Maatta. Oleksiak hasn't done enough to stay in this lineup.

Thats the pairings i'd make.
Give Juuso the minutes Maatta used to take.
Plop JJ or Schultz beside him.
Maatta can work his way back up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have paying attention to Sprong...he is highly committed right now to the defensive side of the game. I think he's too committed in all honesty. Dude is thinking wayyyy too much and he looks slow because of it.

I always liked Sprong because he had an attacker mentality. He would take the puck and try to drive it down the throat of the opposition. He hasn't done that one time since being here because he's afraid he's going to get benched if he doesn't back check one time.

Jake-Sid-Sprong
Hagelin-Geno-Horny
Simon-Brass-Phil
Cullen-Sheahan-Rust

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Thats the pairings i'd make.
Give Juuso the minutes Maatta used to take.
Plop JJ or Schultz beside him.

I do believe Schultz and Maatta looked pretty solid together before. Riikola has the wheels and the smarts to cover for Johnson, but I don't think Johnson would inhibit Riikola's offense.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
vegas imploded. not a reflection of the pens play at all

I think it's a pretty good reflection of our ability to win games purely on talent.

Certainly not winning this one on effort or discipline.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I have paying attention to Sprong...he is highly committed right now to the defensive side of the game. I think he's too committed in all honesty. Dude is thinking wayyyy too much and he looks slow because of it.

I always liked Sprong because he had an attacker mentality. He would take the puck and try to drive it down the throat of the opposition. He hasn't done that one time since being here because he's afraid he's going to get benched if he doesn't back check one time.
I agree with you. He's very, to a painfully obvious degree, trying to show he's not a complete liability out there. Even so, he's producing chances and has two assists averaging <10min a night. Put him with Geno, tell him he's got the leash to do his thing, and let the kid fly. Give it a few games to get his confidence and comfort level up playing with Hags-Geno, and I think he'll be fantastic. If not, so what? You're right back where you are at now.

The mental stuff with Sprong is so delicate. You already have a kid looking over his shoulder at the coaches with everything he does on the ice. Just give him free reign for a handful of games and see what you have.

Reactions: Andy99

Fordy

May 28, 2008

his first shift today he did

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You know.. I talked about "hitting the mental wall" and how difficult it is to remember how to win in the NHL. All the small things you have to do to win in the NHL. That is something you see the Pens struggle with since their success from time to time.

Perfect example is the Las Vegas Golden Knights. They have the team to be good but that success and all the lucky bounces that went their way and now they are deep in a hole and forgetting how freaking hard they worked to win games. That's exactly what they are running into right now. And now teams know how hard Vegas works and they bring their hard work to the game, too.

It is so difficult to be a consistent winning team in the NHL.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well that escalated quickly. Phil is showing off in front of a team where he’d love to live.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with you. He's very, to a painfully obvious degree, trying to show he's not a complete liability out there. Even so, he's producing chances and has two assists averaging <10min a night. Put him with Geno, tell him he's got the leash to do his thing, and let the kid fly. Give it a few games to get his confidence and comfort level up playing with Hags-Geno, and I think he'll be fantastic. If not, so what? You're right back where you are at now.

I'd give Kessel's good nut to see Sprong get a game with Geno-Hags.

It will NEVER happen.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know.. I talked about "hitting the mental wall" and how difficult it is to remember how to win in the NHL. All the small things you have to do to win in the NHL. That is something you see the Pens struggle with since their success from time to time.

Perfect example is the Las Vegas Golden Knights. They have the team to be good but that success and all the lucky bounces that went their way and now they are deep in a hole and forgetting how freaking hard they worked to win games. That's exactly what they are running into right now. And now teams know how hard Vegas works and they bring their hard work to the game, too.

It is so difficult to be a consistent winning team in the NHL.

It's just so hard for this team when they know they can have efforts like this and win.

If Vegas played like we have tonight they'd get embarrassed because they don't really have the talent to just make 4 big plays for goals like we just did. They need 60 minutes of effort to get goals and wins. We...don't. And that's tough for Sully to deal with because you can preach forming good habits but these guys always have in the back of their minds that they can bail themselves out of bad efforts with a big play.

Reactions: ColePens

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Well that escalated quickly. Phil is showing off in front of a team where he’d love to live.

FattyNatty.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The worst part of Rust moving up to Crosby's RW is that they won't bump Sprong into the top-9 now, because Rust would have to be the 3rd line LW for Sprong to get into the top-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad