Line Combos: 3 on 3 OT

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I think we can ice 2lines 3 on 3 that can control puck possession for days.

Uno: Harder to get the edge in shoot outs anyway.
Deuxièmement: It's indeed for us to take advantage of 3 on 3s.
3rdly: You're right, the potential to dominate is right there, hard for MJ to screw it up.
Quatro: All of the above.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not. Scuderi.

Knowing Johnston's 4 on 4 fun it will be needlessly stupid. Like Sutter with Kessel and Maatta. Logically it's hard to mess up. No god damned Kunitz puttering around either.

Not sure how people here felt but I thought, among a few things, that Johnston's 4v4 picks were horrendous all last season.

There is absolutely no way he can screw this up. Crosby/Malkin/Kessel with Letang, game over.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Now this is an interesting thread / question. Well done Penguinator.

I think it depends heavily on who the other team is, especially in terms of their speed. You want guys who can cover a lot of ice in a hurry so hard to not see Crosby and Kessel in the mix. But it's going to be rapid-fire line changes too so you have to think about that.

Speaking strictly as a hockey fan / Penguins interests not withstanding, it will be an interesting experiment that's for sure. Personally I'd rather see them extend the 4 on 4 to 10 minutes before trying this but whatever. Should work well for us against most teams.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Honestly, Kris Letang 3 on 3 just isn't fair. His raw athleticism will be nightmarish for the opposition. In a general sense, the less structured a situation is, the more impactful he becomes -- when the game encourages less thought and rewards instinct, he's money.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Other than the obvious guys, i think Perron would be awesome in 3on3's. Guy can dangle and loves to puck protect/can do that very well in a 1on1 battle situation.

Letang-Crosby-Perron/Kessel
Pouliot-Geno-Kessel/Perron

or any mix of these players really.

Perhaps Plots and Geno find amazing chemistry and maybe that can be an option as well.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Insane to think based on what we've seen last year during 4 on 4s that we won't have at least one defensive-minded player on the ice.

Letang - Crosby - Dupuis
Scuds - Malkin - Horns
Maatta - Sutter - Kessel

Anya6687

Jul 12, 2015
Crosby/kessel/letang

Don't need a 2nd unit cause its in the back of the net for 1 of the 2 teams with that threesome.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Winning the face-off becomes almost paramount to the success of the Pens (or any team in 3v3). Good thing they have a guy who can do that in Crosby.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Not sure if the answer is so obvious as you illustrated it.

I agree there's no obvious answer. I mean sure, you can start with:

Crosby + Kessel + 1

... but this isn't a shoot-out and the line changes will be even quicker than 4 on 4 so you really have to think about who the other team is going to throw out there first, how you can change lines without a major speed drop-off after your big guns come off the ice, etc.

You could say that against teams who are poor defensively (forwards and D) then you can try to overload from the top, hope you get the puck right off and score. But most of the time it will be more tricky than that I suspect, unles I'm not understanding how the league is going to set this up.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What do you mean? If a team takes a penalty they just add an extra skater to make it 4-on-3.

ok, but say a team takes a penalty 1 minute into OT, the shorthanded team kills off the 2 minutes, does the whistle blow after the two minutes? Does the team with 4 skaters get nailed for too many men if the extra guy isn't off exactly when two mins are up?

Also, say the Pens get a PP in OT with a minute or so left or at any time for the sake of discussion, would it be too balsey to pull MAF and go 5-3?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ok, but say a team takes a penalty 1 minute into OT, the shorthanded team kills off the 2 minutes, does the whistle blow after the two minutes? Does the team with 4 skaters get nailed for too many men if the extra guy isn't off exactly when two mins are up?

Also, say the Pens get a PP in OT with a minute or so left or at any time for the sake of discussion, would it be too balsey to pull MAF and go 5-3?
both teams would play 4 on 4 till a stop in play. ...... I see no reason some team might do it.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Eh, against some teams we'll want to play for the shootout. Something tells me MAF will be hung out to dry in 3 on 3, and he's always a beast in the shootout. I'm looking at you Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad