Line Combos: 3 on 3 OT

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
What would your ideal 1rst & 2nd units be like?

Considering our roster, would you have one composed of 3 forwards?

Of course you'd adapt to opposing teams own combos, so if you wanna go with details, you could add up units which would be specifically designed to dominate certain types of opposition.

Fun for the whole family!

P.S. ...and better than S.O. imo.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Crosby-Kessel-Letang :handclap:
Malkin-Horny-Määttä
Sutter/Plotnikov-Perron-Pouliot

or swap Kessel and Horny for balance.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
ITT: "Kessl-Crosby-Letang" "Kessel-Crosby-Malkin" lol look at all the skill, easy wins!!!!

In real life: "Crosby - Scuderi - Lovejoy"

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
:laugh: But seriously though, what would your 1rst unit be like?

Letang and a rotation of Crosby/Malkin/Kessel depending on who was hot that game.

Or if there's a player who can get a hatty stick them out there instead of one of the other forwards. Letang was made for 3-on-3 hockey.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Not. Scuderi.

Knowing Johnston's 4 on 4 fun it will be needlessly stupid. Like Sutter with Kessel and Maatta. Logically it's hard to mess up. No god damned Kunitz puttering around either.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Letang and a rotation of Crosby/Malkin/Kessel depending on who was hot that game.

Or if there's a player who can get a hatty stick them out there instead of one of the other forwards. Letang was made for 3-on-3 hockey.

Right on with that 1rst line formula imo & yes, Letang should be a beast, i'm almost feeling pity for the opposition trying to stop him... or not! :yo:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not. Scuderi.

Knowing Johnston's 4 on 4 fun it will be needlessly stupid. Like Sutter with Kessel and Maatta. Logically it's hard to mess up. No god damned Kunitz puttering around either.

Game 82:

"Coach, you've yet to use Crosby and Malkin together in OT, could you talk about that?"

"well, you know, we're just waiting for the perfect moment"

"You missed the playoffs by 1pt, what are your plans for the off-season"

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Game 82:

"Coach, you've yet to use Crosby and Malkin together in OT, could you talk about that?"

"Job hunting."

He'll do something stupid with Scuderi, Lovejoy, Kunitz, Sutter and/or Dupuis. It's inevitable and he'll probably have support for it.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
"Job hunting."

He'll do something stupid with Scuderi, Lovejoy, Kunitz, Sutter and/or Dupuis. It's inevitable and he'll probably have support for it.

I could actually see Duper on a 2nd unit, good on D, very fast (hopefully still is anyway), could retrieve pucks & feed scorers.

Hell, just for fun, i'd try him with Crosby & Kessel, the speed factor + open ice.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Game 82:

Don't forget the obligatory article from DK lecturing us on why we're idiots and that management is 100% behind the coaching staff.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
ITT: "Kessl-Crosby-Letang" "Kessel-Crosby-Malkin" lol look at all the skill, easy wins!!!!

In real life: "Crosby - Scuderi - Lovejoy"

tbh, MJ used to play Letang out there for 3-4 minutes in the OT last season... so yeah, Letang with one of Malkin or Crosby will be out there on the ice for 2/3 of the OT.

the dumb stuff MJ used to do is playing Crosby with Kunitz...

Penguinzilla*

Some of you posters gotta realize that MJ isn't HCDB, he's not going to do stupid stuff like put Scuderi and Lovejoy out in a 3 on 3 situation

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Some of you posters gotta realize that MJ isn't HCDB, he's not going to do stupid stuff like put Scuderi and Lovejoy out in a 3 on 3 situation

I don't have enough patience to dig this up, but I kind of remember how Scuderi got significant time in the OT last season. significant in the sense that he shouldn't be out there at all...

unless your post was sarcastic...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
tbh, MJ used to play Letang out there for 3-4 minutes in the OT last season... so yeah, Letang with one of Malkin or Crosby will be out there on the ice for 2/3 of the OT.

the dumb stuff MJ used to do is playing Crosby with Kunitz...

Scuderi played in OT, though. He'll do it again. You just gotta believe.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
yes, I've said this before, and others have too... MJ will feel the need to accomodate established vets, like Kunitz, Scuderi and Dupuis, by playing them in roles they don't deserve to be in, like PP, top six, OT. this is either because he's a soft coach at this level or because he feels it is good for the lockerroom. you just know it will happen and this board will explode.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
I was thinking about this the other day: Which situation is potentially more dangerous for the Pens and which situation do they have an advantage?
A wide open 3-on-3 OT..or..a controlled Shootout?

The question is: Would it not be in the Pens best interest if the game ends in a shootout?
Maybe play it straight during the 3-on-3 OT. Try to score (of course) but do not get too loose in structure and expose Fleury to an odd man rush situation.

A quick list of who the Pens can potentially ice for a shootout...with Fleury as one of the best shootout goalies.

Crosby
Malkin
Kessel
Perron
Letang

Does a Shootout exploit the Pens strength more than 3-on-3 OT? How can the Pens maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I was thinking about this the other day: Which situation is potentially more dangerous for the Pens and which situation do they have an advantage?
A wide open 3-on-3 OT..or..a controlled Shootout?

The question is: Would it not be in the Pens best interest if the game ends in a shootout?
Maybe play it straight during the 3-on-3 OT. Try to score (of course) but do not get too loose in structure and expose Fleury to an odd man rush situation.

A quick list of who the Pens can potentially ice for a shootout...with Fleury as one of the best shootout goalies.

Crosby
Malkin
Kessel
Perron
Letang

Does a Shootout exploit the Pens strength more than 3-on-3 OT? How can the Pens maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses?

I think we can ice 2lines 3 on 3 that can control puck possession for days.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
3-on-3 is easily better for us. I don't know if there are many teams better set up for it than us. You get three of Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Letang in the offensive zone with all that space and games will end pretty quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad