GDT: #3: FLYERS at Canucks, Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, 10:00 pm ET, 7:00 pm CF88CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I’ll always remember Vancouver for Hakstol’s last game.

Ah yeah. Met with some friends for the PSU/Princeton game at Wells Fargo that day, went out to watch that one after. Cheered every Vancouver goal and toasted when that shitshow ended.

Was never more certain of anything in my life. Would have bet my bank account that he had coached his last game.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
How about these beauties?

I remember I had a pair at the time.

cut.jpg

"If you ever fell you gained speed with the nylon long pants," Barber said. "You didn't have any grab on the ice. You picked up speed, not slowed down."

Holmgren said, "Not like we blocked shots like players do today, but if you went down to slide to block a shot wearing those things, you slid a lot further. You'd slide yourself right out of position. So there was some getting used to it in that regard."

:laugh:
...Yes and the clear Tuuk blades!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ah yeah. Met with some friends for the PSU/Princeton game at Wells Fargo that day, went out to watch that one after. Cheered every Vancouver goal and toasted when that ****show ended.

Was never more certain of anything in my life. Would have bet my bank account that he had coached his last game.
Keith Jones gave the eulogy at the end of the game.

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
There was, it went back a ways.

12/31/95: 5-5 T
12/31/96: 5-3 W
12/31/97: 8-0 W
12/31/98: 6-2 W
12/29/99: 3-2 OTW
12/31/01 2-1 W

I remember my dad would tape those games for me. On the VCR. Back when the Nucks were the weird black and red and yellow skate-planet team.

Fun Fact - The 1999-2000 "NYE" PHI/VAN Game was played on December 29th (a 3-2 Flyers OT Win) due to fears that power would fail during the game due to the Y2K bug.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I remember a game from the late 80s where Berube cross-checked Rich Sutter into the boards (would definitely be suspension worthy today) and needed help getting off the ice, and Ron Sutter was skating around not sure how to react.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I'd like to know if Welinksi went with the team to Vancouver.

I read that he skated this morning (with Patrick, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Morin and Elliott) but haven't seen anything about him making the trip.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Fun Fact - The 1999-2000 "NYE" PHI/VAN Game was played on December 29th (a 3-2 Flyers OT Win) due to fears that power would fail during the game due to the Y2K bug.

Here's another fun fact: the Flyers played at Vancouver on consecutive nights in the 1975-76 season. The first trip of two scheduled was postponed due to a snowstorm even though the Flyers were already in town but travel was dicey and hence the game rescheduled for the Flyers next trip.

What made it memorable to this day was the Flyers won in the last minute and the Canucks' head coach at the time went ballistic afterwards about the league, the Flyers and especially Bobby Clarke. Bob Dailey who played for Vancouver and then was traded to the Flyers a few months later, was suspended for pushing ref Bruce Hood who himself had a history with the Flyers.

CF88 would have been in attendance at both I am sure.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Here's another fun fact: the Flyers played at Vancouver on consecutive nights in the 1975-76 season. The first trip of two scheduled was postponed due to a snowstorm even though the Flyers were already in town but travel was dicey and hence the game rescheduled for the Flyers next trip.

What made it memorable to this day was the Flyers won in the last minute and the Canucks' head coach at the time went ballistic afterwards about the league, the Flyers and especially Bobby Clarke. Bob Dailey who played for Vancouver and then was traded to the Flyers a few months later, was suspended for pushing ref Bruce Hood who himself had a history with the Flyers.

CF88 would have been in attendance at both I am sure.
Heh.

A couple of years before my time. :p:

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Missed the first couple games bc of the weird ass hours they start at in Tokyo and I didn't set up my NHL gamecenter shit to not show scores yet, god i missed hockey though, neck's been a monster wtf is this gonna be the 35-35 season we all dreamed about? :O :O

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

cut.jpg

"If you ever fell you gained speed with the nylon long pants," Barber said. "You didn't have any grab on the ice. You picked up speed, not slowed down."

Holmgren said, "Not like we blocked shots like players do today, but if you went down to slide to block a shot wearing those things, you slid a lot further. You'd slide yourself right out of position. So there was some getting used to it in that regard."

Love Mark Howe!!!!! He was so smooth. Definitely underrated.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I, too, always loved staying up for the NYE-ish games, they always seemed to be fun ones (the western Canada swings in general were enjoyable). I miss looking forward to that section of the schedule.

Posted it several times before so I'll try not to bore you all again, but I always think back to (probably) '97 when Odjick sucker-punched Lindros along the boards and then pushed/slammed the fallen E's head into the ice. One of the dirtier hits I saw in a decade full of them, a proto-Bertuzzi/Moore without the catastrophic consequences. Everybody dodged a bullet there.

Gino never learned, later got suspended for sucker-punching Kasparaitis into a snow angel and then was traded to the Flyers. :laugh: A true maniac.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I, too, always loved staying up for the NYE-ish games, they always seemed to be fun ones (the western Canada swings in general were enjoyable). I miss looking forward to that section of the schedule.

Posted it several times before so I'll try not to bore you all again, but I always think back to (probably) '97 when Odjick sucker-punched Lindros along the boards and then pushed/slammed the fallen E's head into the ice. One of the dirtier hits I saw in a decade full of them, a proto-Bertuzzi/Moore without the catastrophic consequences. Everybody dodged a bullet there.

Gino never learned, later got suspended for sucker-punching Kasparaitis into a snow angel and then was traded to the Flyers. :laugh: A true maniac.

Oof, Brashear ragdolled Myers.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Vancouver doesn't strike me as a very good team, but they're at home and it's a long trip for the Flyers, big edge.

Tanner Pearson - 53 Bo Horvat - 17 Josh Leivo
9 J.T. Miller - 40 Elias Pettersson - 6 Brock Boeser
Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and Miller are the core forwards.
Horvat is a decent 2C, Boeser is the sniper, Pettersson is the star in the making, Miller is a solid 2nd line forward.
Pearson is more a 3rd line talent (ES 32, 34, 35, then a bad last season with 22), as is Leivo, a solid 2 way guy with limited upside.

79 Micheal Ferland - 88 Adam Gaudette - 20 Brandon Sutter
59 Tim Schaller - 83 Jay Beagle - 18 Jake Virtanen
Ferland is a decent PF, Gaudette had great NCAA scoring numbers that haven't translated to the NHL yet, Sutter isn't even a good 4th line candidate at this point in his career, and the 4th line is just a group of limited muckers.

Overall, not a good forward group, two stars to build around but they need a lot more talent.

Pairings
Alex Edler - 57 Tyler Myers
43 Quinn Hughes - 8 Chris Tanev
4 Jordie Benn - 51 Troy Stecher

Edler is the heart of this defense, but he's really not a 1st pair guy on a top team, look for a TDL deal if they're buried by February.
When you're playing Myers 22:31, well, that says it all.
Hughes is a more talented version of Ghost, but is probably a year or two from being a force (only 20).
Tanev is OK, but at 30 is probably nearing the point where he should be on a 3rd pair somewhere.
Jordie Benn has been a solid 3rd pair guy, but at 32 the clock is ticking, Stecher is another 3rd pair guy who's shown some improvement but not sure how much upside is there.

Goalies
Jacob Markstrom
35 Thatcher Demko

Markstrom is a decent but nothing special goalie who's the starter for now.
Demko is a promising young goalie who had a nice college career and showed good progress in two AHL seasons, at some point they need to see what he has.

This is still a bad team with too many players 30 and over - a February fire sale is in their future.

Classic underestimation of a west coast team.

Yes there really aren't flashy names there but there are solid players who went coached well will win games. It won't shock me if they are 4th or 5th in the Pacific. They aren't the Sedin twins Canucks who after those two the roster dropped dramatically.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Classic underestimation of a west coast team.

Yes there really aren't flashy names there but there are solid players who went coached well will win games. It won't shock me if they are 4th or 5th in the Pacific. They aren't the Sedin twins Canucks who after those two the roster dropped dramatically.

The bottom six forwards are pretty limited players, as is most the entire defense.
And too many players 30 and over for a bottom ten team (i.e. by the time they're competitive, these players will be gone).
You can coach up a team like this for short periods, but eventually talent will out.
Vancouver is going to be selling big time at the TDL, they have some young core players they need to build around, not patch around.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

Oof, Brashear ragdolled Myers.

Yup, that's the one. Notice how misguided the culture was at the time -- if he's thrown out after the initial nonsense, Odjick doesn't get an additional fight and doesn't get a chance to sucker-punch Forbes in the back of the head. And it's all precipitated by a crushing, absolutely legal, A+ hit from Lindros.

- God, I love those uniforms.
- Keenan looking to send a message down eight goals. :laugh:
- Hexy with the s***-eating grin at the final buzzer.
- Classic Cashman lines: Brind'Amour-Lindros-Klatt and LeClair-Gratton-Falloon :scared:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

cut.jpg

Maybe they should bring them back in an attempt to lower the amount of shot blocking that happens.

Reactions: flyersnorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig