GDT: 3/8/15 - Avs @ Wild - 5PM / 12AM FIN - FS-N - Worst GDT of the Year [WARNING #19/121]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Spurgeon's best chances always come when he sneaks in way low on the circles. He has a good shot from there. Brodin is really very accurate but not hard. Suter almost never seems like he's actually shooting to score, but it's not a bad shot. Scandella has a very hard shot, good accuracy. I'd call Dumba's shot "menacing".

We're going to lose games. Like i said after the Oilers game. Just because we lost to a team everyone feels is inferior doesn't mean we'll necessarily start losing to everyone. Uninspired play through most of the game, woke up too late.

I just can't remember when was the last time Suter scored with a clean shot from point on pp.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well that was a letdown...

Didn't play terribly.. didn't play that well either. Didn't think the Avs did though either. What happened to Varlamov, and when was he taken out? I had no idea at the game until they said on the radio on the way back.

Otherwise I'd mention who I thought stuck out in a good or bad way.. but I don't really have anyone to mention either way. :dunno: Just kind of a boring game. Not even chippy or anything.

Oh well, better beat NJ now. I think Kuemper will get the start.

J22*

I just can't remember when was the last time Suter scored with a clean shot from point on pp.

It's almost like it's designed for others to be taking the shots. Weird.
For Suter to get open looks, it would require Parise and Koivu to not be completely stationary on the PP.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's almost like it's designed for others to be taking the shots. Weird.
For Suter to get open looks, it would require Parise and Koivu to not be completely stationary on the PP.

Actually Suter always has room because there's no threat from point. Opponent always zoom in on Parise and Koivu on half wall and take their space away. Nice try though.

J22*

Actually Suter always has room because there's no threat from point. Opponent always zoom in on Parise and Koivu on half wall and take their space away. Nice try though.

Now I am convinced that you have no idea what you're looking at when you watch a Wild PP. The other team is willing to let Koivu and Parise pass it back and forth to each as long as they want. Neither is willing to take or pass the puck to the front of the net. That is the biggest problem with the PP.

2 questions for you-
1. Where is Suter located for the majority of PP's?
2. Do you think that is a location where they really design a PP for shots to come from?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Now I am convinced that you have no idea what you're looking at when you watch a Wild PP. The other team is willing to let Koivu and Parise pass it back and forth to each as long as they want. Neither is willing to take or pass the puck to the front of the net. That is the biggest problem with the PP.

2 questions for you-
1. Where is Suter located for the majority of PP's?
2. Do you think that is a location where they really design a PP for shots to come from?

Yeah they can pass to each other near the walls but when they try to come to the shooting position they are cut off. Teams are always playing small box against Wild because Suter don't pose enough threat on the point and can't make room with his lack of mobility. You don't see the difference when #2 pp is on? The point men are moving all over making creative plays.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Yeah they can pass to each other near the walls but when they try to come to the shooting position they are cut off. Teams are always playing small box against Wild because Suter don't pose enough threat on the point and can't make room with his lack of mobility. You don't see the difference when #2 pp is on? The point men are moving all over making creative plays.
Suter lacks mobility? Seriously?

J22*

When Koivu or Parise has the puck on the PP, where is Suter supposed to go IYO? When he gets the puck on the blueline against the boards, do you really expect him to "dance" his way into the slot and get an open look?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Suter is not lacking mobility. He's a decent PP QB if you don't include shooting, which obviously he is pretty bad at. He's pretty good at keeping the puck in the zone, making smart (though unspectacular) passes, and avoiding turnovers. It should be Suter and Dumba up top with Dumba pulling the trigger. (I noticed those two playing together at one point today at ES, how long did that last?)

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Look, I get I'm probably alone in this but everyone seems to be clamoring for this to be a 'rivalry'. It's a nice thought, they're more fun than the average opponent to beat on for sure. For me though, Colorado just doesn't much matter at this point. Yes, I want a win and the 2 points. As far as rivalry goes though, until the Avs are relevant? I'd rather us have a rivalry with Chicago. Colorado hasn't been worth much for most of the year. They just aren't important other than the points. Hopefully we get to see Chicago if we make the playoffs and depending on how that goes, then I'll be happy to call it a rivalry.

In the grand scheme of things, are the Wild "relevant" either? No disrespect, but it's not like the Wild have historically been much more than cannon fodder for the better clubs in the league. As an Avs fan, I'd love to see an intense rivalry with the Wild grow. You've got a decent team now, and the Avs are gonna be a real good team soon enough, so I would suggest coming down off that high horse of yours and just enjoy what's developing here. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
In the grand scheme of things, are the Wild "relevant" either? No disrespect, but it's not like the Wild have historically been much more than cannon fodder for the better clubs in the league. As an Avs fan, I'd love to see an intense rivalry with the Wild grow. You've got a decent team now, and the Avs are gonna be a real good team soon enough, so I would suggest coming down off that high horse of yours and just enjoy what's developing here. Just my 2 cents worth.

Not really. Fair or not, it seems like people don't really 'respect' teams much unless they've made at least the conference finals lately, which neither of us have done.

Edit: Although he's probably referring more to the standings just this year, in which case the Avs have been 'less relevant'.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Poms and Suter have no business on that top PP. Period. Yeo needs to grow a ****ing pair and tell them to sit down. And Koivu getting damn near the entire PP time is just stupid.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Not really. Fair or not, it seems like people don't really 'respect' teams much unless they've made at least the conference finals lately, which neither of us have done.

Edit: Although he's probably referring more to the standings just this year, in which case the Avs have been 'less relevant'.

You're probably right. I'm just hoping that more rivalries do develop in the years to come though, because NHL hockey isn't the same without them.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Thought we got screwed by the refs more than handily. Close game and Pominville's offside was more than enough to win this game.

Yep that offsides ****ed us.

Sure he might not have scored, but the speed he had entering the zone and the fact that Varly was hurt, I think he scores there often.

He scores there its 2-1, we probably dont get that penalty and we go into the 3rd with even strength and momentum.

Oh well though, let them have their win, they aren't making the playoffs and we'll keep up this run.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Things learned on HF today.

Vanek is irrelevant and Suter lacks mobility.

Good stuff to know right there.

Suter is not as mobile laterally as Dumba and Spurgeon at all and both do a better job than Suter does at walking the line which not only changes and opens shooting angles/lanes but opens up passing lanes as well.

Not really a knock against Suter he just isn't the same type of guy with the puck that Spurgeon and Dumba are. That doesn't mean that Spurgeon and Dumba are better.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Vanek, though, is still not the problem. But I do think that creativity is important, especially on the PP, and I think that guys like Granlund, Dumba, Spurgeon, Scandella, and also Zucker and Nino deserve to have a chance to see how they handle increased roles because the status quo isn't where it needs to be.

Spurgeon with Dumba and Zucker (Pominville or Nino) on the tops of the circles to make the umbrella. Let Granlund work it up and down the wall and work his magic. Parise always does his thing. Spurgeon, Dumba, and Zucker all have really good shots and would also be great for that back door play. I picture a PP that's really only fluid for the face offs and otherwise guys will always be moving...jumping down backdoor...trying to draw defenders out of the box...Parise scrapping up anything in front. Granlund feeding guys cross-ice. Zucker and Dumba with their lethal releases.

I don't get why their has to be overthinking involved. Our best players 5 on 5 might not be our best PPers. Any extra time and space make Granlund, Dumba, and Spurgeon way more dangerous players than the Koivu's and Pominville's of the world.

That's not a knock to those guys in any way that's just a statement to the talent on the Wild that guys of Koivu and Pominville's caliber aren't on the #1 PP. If the Wild have the great locker room with all of the captain leadership and commitment to team hockey like suggested...it's time for some accountability that other guys should at least get a CHANCE to prove whether or not they can do any better.

PP2
Koivu (wall)
Vanek (slot)
Nino (Front)
Suter
Scandella

(Brodin, Pominville, Coyle, Fontaine)

It's really pretty simple. No need to over complicate things. Suter and Koivu play too much anyways and it allows the Wild to begin to transition Koivu into more of a shutdown role. I wish Koivu would make it easy to pass the torch by being okay with the move. It can't hurt to at least try...Yeo loves switching up the lines--just for some reason not the PP lines. I mean he hasn't been hesistant to put Vanek down to the 3rd line or Heatley last year...why is he all of a sudden so scared to try something different when the results aren't there with the extra man.

You're the man Yeo and the Wild kill it 5 on 5 and on the PK...I'm a fully bought in member of the Church of Yeo...if the PP can get going that will make things a lot easier for the Wild.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Suter is not as mobile laterally as Dumba and Spurgeon at all and both do a better job than Suter does at walking the line which not only changes and opens shooting angles/lanes but opens up passing lanes as well.

Not really a knock against Suter he just isn't the same type of guy with the puck that Spurgeon and Dumba are. That doesn't mean that Spurgeon and Dumba are better.

Suter is way smarter and more responsible with the puck than either Dumba or Spurgeon AINEC.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
If I ran the power play my lines would be

Pominville LW - Koivu - Parise RW
Dumba LD - Brodin RD

Vanek LW - Granlund - Nino RW
Spurgeon LD - Suter/Scandy RD

Umbrella style, one timers galore

Status
Not open for further replies.