GDT: 3/30: Czechmate! Boston Bruins @ Philadelphia Flyers II

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
:)guys if we get ottawa first round without karlson in sens line up we get a gift from the gods. i dont wanna play jersey with brodeur in net. 4 th seed or 5th seed sounds good to me.

I would hate to play Ottawa in round 1...definally would rather play NJ in the 2v7

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
It seems like this team, and I am including the 2011 year when they won the Cup, oscillates between periods of complete dominance and periods of complete complacency.

We have seen what their dominant stretches can result in (a championship), and when they are on their game, they are as tough to beat as any team in the league. But when they are off their game, they're as beatable as any team in the league.

So, I have two questions: why the inconsistency? And, is this team's model and team's core, sustainable for championship level play year in and year out?

Or, are they too reliant on playing perfect system hockey, playing extremely physically and emotionally engaged, and playing with a hot goalie?

Claude has proven that he can win with his system, but this team does not seem capable of falling back on its skill when they system breaks down, or when they are not executing their system to a T. They are also less effective when they are not playing with controlled emotion and controlled physicality. But what team, when relying on that emotion and physicality to win, can bring that game every night, and over consistent stretches of an entire season? And lastly, can a team win consistently when they rely on their goaltender to play at a Vezina level in order to have success?
The system, as we have seen, is also compromised when the depth of the team is compromised.

Part of that falls on Chia because he never plugged the holes vacated by Ryder and Recchi, but part of it has been a failure of the coaching staff to adjust to the realities of a different type of line-up.

I don't know, maybe Seguin isn't the guy I think he is...maybe he is not a guy who should be getting 20+ a game, but when you have a third line that has consisted of Bourque, Pandolfo, Caron, etc. over the course of the season, isn't it imperative to have your skilled players logging the majority of the ice time?

If you have less depth, why not ride your top lines and players a bit more? And part of this is on the players, if not the majority of it. Claude could have ridden the Krejci line more heavily, but what have they been most of this year?

I don't know. I just think the Bruins have been a team that relies too heavily on their system, their depth, and their goaltending, and when those things aren't clicking, Chia hasn't put a talented enough roster on the ice to make up the difference, not to mention the coach doesn't necessarily put his skilled players in the best position to use that skill. But the players deserve the blame for not executing the coache's system consistently and not bringing the emotional intensity they need to win on a consistent enough basis.

The FACTS say they won in 2011 because TT had some incredible games or saves.

G5 OT against Gionta
G 2 against Philly
G5 against TB
The entire SCF

This team with Rask in net has PROVEN NOTHING.

They easily could be a one round win and out team and w / o upgrades in IMO
could lose in R1 again.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
The FACTS say they won in 2011 because TT had some incredible games or saves.

G5 OT against Gionta
G 2 against Philly
G5 against TB
The entire SCF

This team with Rask in net has PROVEN NOTHING.

They easily could be a one round win and out team and w / o upgrades in IMO
could lose in R1 again.

I agree. That was a huge part of it, so is this team's success sustainable over the long haul without Vezina level play from their goalie? If the answer is no, then they need to figure out another way.

I like Rask personally, but I am not going to sit here and tell you he is at Tim's 2011 level...who the hell is?

But point is, you can't win like the consistently. You can't ask so much from your goalie, and to an extent, you can't rely on your system to win you games. You have to rely on your players.

Thomas was great in 2011, but the players also rose to the occasion. They did just enough in the goal-scoring department to win, and that is WITH an all-time performance in net.

They need some higher-end skill, or they need allow the skill they have on their own team to flourish...or both.

edit: I would also add that this team has proven nothing with non-2011 Tim Thomas in net. This team has had Thomas and been bounced prematurely from the playoffs on more than one occasion. Again, Tim Thomas, Rask, whomever, if the goalie isn't having an all-time season, this team ain't winning it all.

Last edited:

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
To quote Jim Mora Sr, "Playoffs...who said anything about Playoffs." All humor aside they will make it but they are playing badly enough to get bounced in five to anyone with the exception of Ott who I think they could lose to in six lol

There margin of error is just so thin. I won't be surprised if they get it together and go on a deep run, but I also won't be surprised if they make an early exit.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
On the radio show before the game Keith Jones said that the Bruins forwards should have a field day with that Flyers defense.

Bruno Gervais who could barely cut it on the horrendous Islanders played 21+ minutes.

Oliver Lauridsen in his first NHL game with 17 minutes.

Kurtis "the pylon" Foster with 14 minutes.

And the Bruins were flat again in the first period.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
On the radio show before the game Keith Jones said that the Bruins forwards should have a field day with that Flyers defense.

Bruno Gervais who could barely cut it on the horrendous Islanders played 21+ minutes.

Oliver Lauridsen in his first NHL game with 17 minutes.

Kurtis "the pylon" Foster with 14 minutes.

And the Bruins were flat again in the first period.

Jay Pandolfo who couldn't cut it on the horrendous Islanders plays for our team...

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Any recap for me? Was at the job, today.. Looking at some comments, the effort wasn't there???

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Any recap for me? Was at the job, today.. Looking at some comments, the effort wasn't there???

ehhh
recap ?
Pathetic effort. No pressure on Flyer's usually sloppy D and G at all. Weak wristers from the blue line inflate shot totals. 3-4 real scoring chances all game long. Passes into feet, sloppy puck handling, stupid giveaways, no drive to the net, alibi hits, Flyers didn't play well at all either but still D got lost too often. Bad game from everyone. Not one single positive, even Bergy was off, Johnson's worst game as a Bruin, Rask looked weird on second goal. Basically a line-up full of Carons and Pandolfos. Truly a game to forget.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
ehhh
recap ?
Pathetic effort. No pressure on Flyer's usually sloppy D and G at all. Weak wristers from the blue line inflate shot totals. 3-4 real scoring chances all game long. Passes into feet, sloppy puck handling, stupid giveaways, no drive to the net, alibi hits, Flyers didn't play well at all either but still D got lost too often. Bad game from everyone. Not one single positive, even Bergy was off, Johnson's worst game as a Bruin, Rask looked weird on second goal. Basically a line-up full of Carons and Pandolfos. Truly a game to forget.

Glad that i didn't saw that mess :cry:

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
They've looked like crap with the Bergy line carrying the team. They can look like crap without it. It's worth a shot to give Lucic-Krejci-Seguin a shot......for more than 20 minutes. The team needs to investigate all internal options before any shakeups.

They never got 20 mins. We got 20 mins of Marchand DK and Horton. It was Lucic and Pverley that clicked. Does he even try putting DK between them? Nope. He went right back home to Mama a period later. He could try that - LKP

Or, put Seguin on that line. Not sure what everyone expects from Peverley playing w/ Pandawful.

One thing he has to do is make life easier on the D and bring the forwards lower. Watch playoff games from 2011, then look at where our forwards are now when they have possession in their own zone. No point stretching out the D when you're gonna turn it over w/ a horrid 1st pass anyway.

Don't do something reactionary they're going to regret later.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
The effort was lacking again today and their effort the last few weeks have been bad.
today effort today was as weak as i see in a while. I don't see the want at all and they are just skating around looking unintrested.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The term, "nothing fails like success" seems to really fit this team. As soon as they give themselves a cushion in the standings their play tends to dip. It seems they prefer to play with their backs against the wall.

I will say one thing, better to be slumping now than in a months time - I still think good things are coming in the playoffs.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I guess it was that anyone on the 3rd line trally stinks and that includes Pevs and Kelly.horton and Lucic has been a poor disappointment this season not sure if he having issues with his Family.The biggest issue is that the poor play by this team is inexcuseable especially with a a large group of veteran core players.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I was away from home so I decided to have lunch to watch the game.

Another bad $35 investment. Pathetic effort all around and add to this I somehow didn't see the first 10 minutes of the 3rd. Oh alright, so the tattoo on the waitress's thigh distracted me. No, it was not that type of joint. It was at Skratch (billiards). I stopped at 2 red Rickards. The grilled chicken was just that, grilled chicken.

So, how was your lunches? :(

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
That effort today gets coaches fired. The cold reality is that Chia never replaced Recchi and Ryder. The leadership is missing, the clutch scoring is missing.

Marley

Feb 10, 2011
Pathetic game all around is right. They looked half asleep the first period and didn't show much urgency until nearly the end of the game. Some horrible lapses in judgment, plenty of missed opportunities and some really crappy passes.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If the B's keep playing like they did today, they might not have to worry about round 1.

This is how I'm starting to feel. Unless some serious turnaround happens and quickly this team is gonna sink down the standings and quickly

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
That effort today gets coaches fired. The cold reality is that Chia never replaced Recchi and Ryder. The leadership is missing, the clutch scoring is missing.

Are we still back there? These guys are paid to shake a leg.

I think the Cup winner will be a total surprise. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad