GDT: 3/26/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Arizona vs Tampa Bay

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I guess I just refuse to believe that a team will say "Hey. Playoffs look like they're on lock down. Let's just trash it up for the last 3 months of the season"

If they'd continued their high level of play through March and were playing how they were now, I would totally agree that they were just mailing it in until the playoffs.

I don't remember what game it was...maybe Ottawa? When Vasy got scored on and he literally just laid face down on the ice after it. That's not a guy that is just coasting until the playoffs. That's a guy who's confidence is completely destroyed. Someone else here said it..this is a kid in his first season as a #1 in the NHL and Cooper rode him like a 10 year vet. On one hand that speaks to how well Vasy played in the first half but on the other hand you know he's gotta be tired and worn out.

Tampa got better every month from Oct-Dec. At home in Jan is where things really started to go back. Their GPG took a big drop (between 1-2 GPG less than they had through Dec) and they started bleeding goals (over 4 GA per game at home in Jan). Jan was also the first month that they allowed more goals over the month than they scored.

Things improved in Feb at home but got worse on the road. March is just a cluster.

I don't think this is a discussion if they haven't been trending down for almost 3 months at this point.

But you recognize how they played early and how they play now. I think the effort level is dropped a bit. I mean it clearly has dropped when you look at this team now vs early in the year. As for Vasi, Im sure he is tired but look at him too. He looked like Hasek at times early in the year, I havent seen that since December/January. I dont think the players say they should trash it up but they clearly arent putting in the same amount of effort. In this league taking your foot off the gas a little can lead to disaster. But the team could actually afford to do it. Now its catching up to them but they still are in the playoffs. If they actually are the team that played early then I like our chances against anybody but if we see more of the same in the playoffs then I would agree with you. Ive just seen this all before. I remember seeing the same conversations about how this team doesnt give a shit before the playoffs. Then when the playoffs came boom we played a totally different game. Structured, D was on its game, forwards were skating, Bishop was shutting things down. Also Im not saying I agree with it, Ive just seen this happen before.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I've seen it happen before too, and I think that reflects incredibly poorly on Cooper and his staff.

If you can't get up for a Boston game where there's a lot at stake but can't manage to get up for the freakin Coyotes, either? That's a problem.

This team has had effort issues and playing down to their opponent issues since Cooper got here. TB fans have been complaining about the same stuff for YEARS. I distinctly remember talking on Reddit about this stuff 2-3 years ago when TB made it to the Cup finals.

Ultimately, it is who this team is. They're very prone to poor effort games, taking periods or two off every game and laying down to teams they should beat. In response...I say what have they won? Yeah, they've had playoff success. Not turning my nose up at that. The point is to win the Cup though. They haven't done that. So I will continue to be hyper critical of their efforts. Unless TB wins a Cup in a season where they continue to have these effort and consistency issues, they will get no free passes from me.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I've seen it happen before too, and I think that reflects incredibly poorly on Cooper and his staff.

If you can't get up for a Boston game where there's a lot at stake but can't manage to get up for the freakin Coyotes, either? That's a problem.

This team has had effort issues and playing down to their opponent issues since Cooper got here. TB fans have been complaining about the same stuff for YEARS. I distinctly remember talking on Reddit about this stuff 2-3 years ago when TB made it to the Cup finals.

Ultimately, it is who this team is. They're very prone to poor effort games, taking periods or two off every game and laying down to teams they should beat. In response...I say what have they won? Yeah, they've had playoff success. Not turning my nose up at that. The point is to win the Cup though. They haven't done that. So I will continue to be hyper critical of their efforts. Unless TB wins a Cup in a season where they continue to have these effort and consistency issues, they will get no free passes from me.

Of course its fine to be critical of it. Im just trying to point out what ive seen before and how this team has had a switch. Its a possible explanation to what we are seeing. Not an excuse, an explanation. Remember I dont like it either. No fan does. Im just pointing out what has historically happened. Hopefully they turn it on is all you can say. I mean what can you do as a fan but criticize? Anyways if we dont win this year Im sure Coop will be put on blast from upper management. Maybe fired. Im for whatever needs to happen for the team to win too. I also try to be objective and not use too much emotion. It is a game after all.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Dont know anybody that has said that either. Keep reaching.

Look the Bolts arent playing well, nobody is disputing that. I think people are just realizing that there is another gear to this team. Why they arent doing it now? Nobody could really tell you for sure. Maybe they are just playing like **** and not caring because something in the room is bad. Maybe they are banged up and tired. Maybe they are figured out? Who the hell knows. All I know is we are in the playoffs and I think we will flip a switch and play a totally different game when those games are on. If not then they deserve to get bounced early. Other teams who play hard would deserve to go further. Its really this easy.
So, wave a magic wand and suddenly our PK, PP, defense, passing, goaltending magically get better? In fact, they jump up so much to Stanley cup levels?

Okie, dokie.

Flip the switch.

Reactions: rangerrat

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So, wave a magic wand and suddenly our PK, PP, defense, passing, goaltending magically get better? In fact, they jump up so much to Stanley cup levels?

Okie, dokie.

Flip the switch.

I wouldnt say magically. I just think there is a fine line between putting in effort and not in this league. If you step out of that line it shows and it doesnt look good at all. Really the talent level is pretty close in this league. I think a reason our team was so much better is yes we are that much more talented but if you watch the beginning of the year they gave a shit and came out pissed they didnt make the playoffs. In other words the effort level was off the charts. What happened when we gained a huge lead? We stopped that and pulled the breaks. Like I said when you do that it shows. The league is too good. Will we look better when the playoffs come, yes I think we will. How much is the question. Im not a fan of taking your feet off the gas either but I understand the logic behind it. I just wish we would get going sooner than later. Im in doubt too but I remember feeling the same way the last two previous playoffs.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Okie, dokie.

Flip the switch.
If by waving a magic wand you mean start actually caring about the the games then you could be correct. No one can seriously say that a 4-1 loss to the Coyotes is where this team is at. If anything it should tell the last few people who haven't gotten it yet that this team hasn't given a damn in a while.

People do tend to give more when the stakes are higher, it's natural human psychology, not really a hard consept to wrap your mind around.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Its all well and good taking the foot of the gas when you have got into the play-offs but when there is still something to play for in which could determine who we face in the play offs then it becomes a issue. I wouldn't put it past us to "turn the switch on" at the start of the plays offs but the issues haven't just started, they have been a major problem since the break. With 6 games left 2 being against Boston you would have like to think that we would be ready for the play offs not the complete opposite.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Okie, dokie.

Flip the switch.

They magically flipped the switch from the Detroit series into the MTL, and Rangers series in 2015 - missed those did you?

Here's the thing you don't understand, the capability is there. There's a difference between being incapable vs unwilling, Tampa on any given night could excel on all those things you listed and have the means to do so, as they've shown this year already.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
They magically flipped the switch from the Detroit series into the MTL, and Rangers series in 2015 - missed those did you?

Here's the thing you don't understand, the capability is there. There's a difference between being incapable vs unwilling, Tampa on any given night could excel on all those things you listed and have the means to do so, as they've shown this year already.

Well said.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think people underestimate how incredible difficult it is to maintain focus and performance over a full regular season, especially when you have already secured the playoffs.

So I decided to check the last five seasons, how the finalists performed in their last ten games, also included our Cup win season.

Currently we are:
6-4-0

16-17
Pens 4-4-2
Nahsville 5-4-1

15-16
Pens 8-2-0
Sharks 5-5-0

14-15
Tampa 6-3-1
Chicago 4-6-0

13-14
Kings 5-3-2
Rangers 6-2-2

12-13
Chicago 7-2-1
Boston 3-5-2

03-04
Tampa 5-4-1

To me it really highlights that it doesn't matter at all how you finish the season, most are actually doing rather average going into the playoffs, so I think we should take it with a pinch of salt. For sure, there are room for improvement but I don't think it's an indication how it will go in the playoffs.

Record doesn't matter as much to me as process. The process has been pretty bad and arguably getting worse.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'm firmly in the let's wait and see what they look like in the playoffs camp. The way this team was playing early in the year wasn't a fluke, and they absolutely have another gear.

What does concern me, however, is the extent to which mediocre-to-bad teams are following the exact same blueprint to beat us, and, furthermore, that it's an old blueprint, and Coop can't seem to adjust to it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm firmly in the let's wait and see what they look like in the playoffs camp. The way this team was playing early in the year wasn't a fluke, and they absolutely have another gear.

What does concern me, however, is the extent to which mediocre-to-bad teams are following the exact same blueprint to beat us, and, furthermore, that it's an old blueprint, and Coop can't seem to adjust to it.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not hitting the panic button just yet, but there are serious concerns here. Ideally we rev up our game this month so we are peaking heading in, but as long as you don't flounder from Game 1 it's ok.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm in the same boat. I'm not hitting the panic button just yet, but there are serious concerns here. Ideally we rev up our game this month so we are peaking heading in, but as long as you don't flounder from Game 1 it's ok.

I'm fine with Cooper letting them off the hook as play has dropped for a while and I think they've earned it for the most part. But if he can't reign them in for the playoffs he needs to go - no excuse to play like this in the playoffs, no excuse to lose round 1, bare minimum you can do is have the top team in the conference ready for the 1st round, things can get a little unpredictable in the later rounds but almost every single top team wins their 1st round.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Exactly. It's not that I think they're a bad team all of a sudden, or that we're in serious trouble. But last night, more so than maybe any other game this year, it's like they dug up all of our complaints about the system from the last two years and reenacted all of them. We've seen that exact same game go down before, basically.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

I think they are very capable. Very talented. I've been looking for signs of life and outside of that Toronto comeback...these guys have been lifeless. Vasy is mentally a mess. It doesn't look good right now. I'm sorry for the brutal honesty.

Dec was a long time ago.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think they are very capable. Very talented. I've been looking for signs of life and outside of that Toronto comeback...these guys have been lifeless. Vasy is mentally a mess. It doesn't look good right now. I'm sorry for the brutal honesty.

Dec was a long time ago.

Well I think the "capability" is what makes it frustrating. We know they are better. Not just on paper, we've seen it. So it sucks to watch as a fan. Im just not as frustrated as some others I guess. However watching the games lately have been painful. Like others I want this to stop :cry:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
04/11/18. That's when we'll get some answers in the great "switch flippers" vs "pretenders" debate. Until then, it's all academic.

Well I will 100% agree that if we play like we have lately in the playoffs then we are definitely in the pretenders category because we will be a quick out and I dont think anybody would disagree. I just think the "switch flippers" as you call them are just not getting too worried yet, but you are right we will know more when the playoffs start. Hope the team will flip a switch because its bad if not.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Well I will 100% agree that if we play like we have lately in the playoffs then we are definitely in the pretenders category because we will be a quick out and I dont think anybody would disagree. I just think the "switch flippers" as you call them are just not getting too worried yet, but you are right we will know more when the playoffs start. Hope the team will flip a switch because its bad if not.
Well, if you have been reading my posts at all, you will know that I am firmly in the "pretenders" corner.

I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010

Okie, dokie.

Flip the switch.
. I would pay to flip the switch for our Boyz to succeed in the upcoming playoffs, However I have played enough hockey to know there is No switch,but you never stop believing in yourselves. Our game has been slipping away over the pass month overall,( please don't quote the W/L records. Just watch the games). We cannot win unless we get the PK under control, In the playoffs the tight play means you must capitalize on your PPs and make the big stop on the PK. Let's hope they wake up this Thursday nite and start to roll into the playoffs on a winning note. Winning is your magic mindset button!!!

Reactions: T REX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad