GDT: 3/25 Sharks @ Oilers 6:30pm CSNCA

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
what happened to burish?

Took a puck directly to the hand from blocking a point shot on the PK. Got up and skated immediately off the ice leaving his gloves behind

Some gnarly pictures going around twitter that show at least one finger completely bent/crooked/broken/hanging off... can't say for sure because I didn't want to give the pictures more than a passing glance. Gross.

(Please no one post them here. Or at least link it only if you must. Please.)

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Did anyone else find Drew's anti shot blocking rants hilarious? :laugh:

Not really. I really dislike that part of hockey today.Sure it's effective so everyone is doing it but shot blocking -> more boring hockey and lots of injuries to players.
Goalies should be the ones stopping the pucks.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Very broken finger after blocking a shot.

Took a puck directly to the hand from blocking a point shot on the PK. Got up and skated immediately off the ice leaving his gloves behind

Some gnarly pictures going around twitter that show at least one finger completely bent/crooked/broken/hanging off... can't say for sure because I didn't want to give the pictures more than a passing glance. Gross.

(Please no one post them here. Or at least link it only if you must. Please.)

That is gross. Thanks btw

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
And the obvious postgame update:

David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 27m
McLellan says Burish will need work done on hand that blocked shot. Don't expect to see him in #SJSharks lineup for a little while.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm predicting Nieto being a 70 point speedster in his prime. Although I've been saying he's gonna be a regular 60 pointer since the beginning so I'm probably wearing crazy pants. I bet Patty's been teaching skating techniques to maintain better positioning

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I'm predicting Nieto being a 70 point speedster in his prime. Although I've been saying he's gonna be a regular 60 pointer since the beginning so I'm probably wearing crazy pants. I bet Patty's been teaching skating techniques to maintain better positioning

I think he'll be a regular 60-point guy... but I could see him having a season or two at 70+ with a high Sh%. It happens.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Umm,Nieto 70 points? You really think he is going to be top20 in points in the future? Because that's what you are suggesting.
If he becomes regular 40-50 point winger that would be plenty.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Why's that? I think shot blocking is important but that they need to teach better shot blocking techniques to minimize injuries (an example of this would be Jones' block in the first).

There isn't a technique to minimize injuries. They have the skate guards but shot blocking is either in your DNA as a player or not.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
On a more positive note, wow, Matt Nieto. He's been playing like a seriously legit top-6 forward. He and Marleau are a great duo. I'd almost be in favor of splitting up Couture and Marleau, which is something that I've never even considered since they've been put together. Especially if they're insistent on keeping Pavelski on the top line.

Pavelski-Thornton-Burns
Torres-Couture-Havlat
Nieto-Marleau-Wingels
Sheppard-Desjardins-Kennedy

How about that? Marleau gets the toughs unless it's a team like Anaheim in which Thornton could take Getzlaf.

Honestly I kind of prefer our current lineup, though that'd be certainly something to consider if we struggle going into the playoffs. I think Marleau's line looks better than Couture's, unless you plan to roll three lines evenly?

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
The reason those of us who want to avoid them is this - even if we win, we'll be more beat up than playing the Wild or practically any other team. It has NOTHING to do with being scared of them.

summed up very well

Why's that? I think shot blocking is important but that they need to teach better shot blocking techniques to minimize injuries (an example of this would be Jones' block in the first).

yeah true, another example was the Pavelski shot block with his head a couple seasons/playoffs back, recall? that 'could have' turned out awful, Pav's was really lucky.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In terms of the shot-blocking topic, it's something that should be done during the playoffs up high and not during the season. The only exception being a young player learning it but most players should be learning sticks in shooting lanes is better in the long run of a regular season and full out body-blocking is for playoff games only.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I missed Drew's rant, but The Koala doesn't just condone blocking shots, he stresses it and wouldn't have it any other way. He just said that on the radio in reference to Couture in the pre game. So that mentality starts pretty high up in the chain of command.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Honestly I kind of prefer our current lineup, though that'd be certainly something to consider if we struggle going into the playoffs. I think Marleau's line looks better than Couture's, unless you plan to roll three lines evenly?

I hate the Wingels-Sheppard-Havlat line. I really hate it. They've been doing nothing defensively and scoring on an unsustainable amount of their few chances. Sheppard is a not a top-9 player on a contender and our strength is supposed to be that we have three #1C's. If two of them are playing wing we make ourselves worse and easier to match up against.

I would roll lines two and three equally, each a little less than line one and more than line four.

I'm in favor of blocking shots within 15 feet of the crease. I'm not in favor of throwing yourself in front of every shot from the point. The probability of injury outweighs the likelihood of preventing a goal.

Umm,Nieto 70 points? You really think he is going to be top20 in points in the future? Because that's what you are suggesting.
If he becomes regular 40-50 point winger that would be plenty.

Seriously. Marleau's having an outstanding year and he'll probably get just a bit over 70 points.

If Nieto becomes a regular 50-55 point player I'd be stoked. I think that's more realistic.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I hate the Wingels-Sheppard-Havlat line. I really hate it. They've been doing nothing defensively and scoring on an unsustainable amount of their few chances. Sheppard is a not a top-9 player on a contender and our strength is supposed to be that we have three #1C's. If two of them are playing wing we make ourselves worse and easier to match up against.

I would roll lines two and three equally, each a little less than line one and more than line four.

I'm in favor of blocking shots within 15 feet of the crease. I'm not in favor of throwing yourself in front of every shot from the point. The probability of injury outweighs the likelihood of preventing a goal.

Seriously. Marleau's having an outstanding year and he'll probably get just a bit over 70 points.

If Nieto becomes a regular 50-55 point player I'd be stoked. I think that's more realistic.

I for one really do not like Shep on the first line. I think it was and is a huge mistake when Todd does this. I MUCH would prefer to see Havlat up there with injured bodies presently missing.

I agree, it isn't smart when guys throw themselves in front of any shot they can. Couture does this far too often and it always worries me when he does it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I missed Drew's rant, but The Koala doesn't just condone blocking shots, he stresses it and wouldn't have it any other way. He just said that on the radio in reference to Couture in the pre game. So that mentality starts pretty high up in the chain of command.

He never had that mentality woth nabby. But then again, nabby hated people trying to block shots. And niemi wants every shot blocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad