GDT: 3/22/16 - Kings @ Wild - 7:30 PM Central / 2:30 AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Great win. Would not have predicted that we would beat the Blackhawks/Kings back-to-back.

Agreed! Did we outplay them both, no, but good teams always find a way to win. Some players stepping up, if we can get Parise, Koivu, Coyle scoring again we have a chance!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dubnyk was really good, but it's not like LA had a bunch of wide open chances. Our Defensive game in our own end was pretty good, and limited them.

It is tough when we have little guys like Schroeder and Fontaine going against their giants. Torchetti is giving Schroeder opprtunities- he's gotta start cashing in on them. With Parise playing like he's drunk, we could use another hero around here.

Koivu's game is suited to playing against LA.

It's teams like LA who make me want to hold tight to Nino, Scandella, and Coyle, and get impatient for Tuch and Greenway. With all that size and reach, it's hard to deal with them. It'll only get worse in the playoffs.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Dubnyk was really good, but it's not like LA had a bunch of wide open chances. Our Defensive game in our own end was pretty good, and limited them.

It is tough when we have little guys like Schroeder and Fontaine going against their giants. Torchetti is giving Schroeder opprtunities- he's gotta start cashing in on them. With Parise playing like he's drunk, we could use another hero around here.

Koivu's game is suited to playing against LA.

It's teams like LA who make me want to hold tight to Nino, Scandella, and Coyle, and get impatient for Tuch and Greenway. With all that size and reach, it's hard to deal with them. It'll only get worse in the playoffs.
That's a pretty good description for it at this point. :laugh::shakehead And I second the motion regarding Nino, Scandy, and Coyle.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I like a lot of the players on teams like the Kings and Sharks but it would be nice if their fans were more knowledgeable. Guess a lot of that is not playing the game growing up on their part.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Second game in a row Coyle did not move his feet like at all. Something is wrong.

Dumba needs some serious work in the summer on his game below the red line. They are obviously not getting through to him during the season. The way he plays below that red line would not get him a call up from the minors. I don't know what Torch is trying to accomplish putting him out with Reilly at this point. It's a time bomb and the season's on the line.

Spurgeon's positioning on PP was strangely off. He needs to be smarter out there and adjust. He was not making himself available for a one timer nor a clean pass receive. Hand cuffed Suter and that's what you don't want to do. Suter needs clean pass options otherwise he's just going to slow it down and kill the pp. It was painfully obvious on that OT PP against the Hawks. If you don't give him clean enough options he starts playing QB and that's it then.

David Jones is turning out a good pick up. A big body who can be trusted out there.

Good smart win. I have no problem facing them in the first round. That's a slowest team in the league and we can outsmart them and burn them with speed.

jackouu

Nov 25, 2015
Helsinki
Wow, just checked the Kings post game thread, and you can really see how they dislike the Wild and the Minnesotan fanbase.

Glad to see Dubs in form. Also Koivu had a nice little deke before the shot!

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
I think you meant "Please start playing, Vanek".

Nice to see Dubnyk playing so well. Dowd looked good in his first game.

I am a Vanek supporter, always have been. But it is good to see that he just can't "mail it in" and stay in the lineup. He played so well to start the year and then completely dropped off the face of the earth these last few months.

Used to be such an incredible player time and time again, but right now he looks like he is done or does not care enough anymore. For someone like me, who has been following him for a long long time, that's really sad to see.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not a Vanek fan, but the Wild need him to get back in the lineup. Having Fontaine and Schroeder in the top 9 ....well, they simply don't produce, and against bigger players can't be effective checkers.

Vanek simply has to start shooting. We didn't get him for his defensive play, or his playmaking skills. We got him to score goals, but you can't do that if you don't shoot. I don't know how many times I've seen him try to make an impossible pass rather than shoot.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think we'll see him back in very shortly. Torch was not happy at all with the team's game yesterday, so it might not be one of those things where he feels compelled to keep the lineup the same.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Being at the game last night was pretty cool and my son had a great time, although he started falling asleep toward the end (to be fair, that's more due to the 7:30pm start time than the actual game itself, which he loved).

One thing that definitely needs to be fixed is our ability to complete passes. Holy crap, did we ever suck at that last night. Even my dad, who has never really followed hockey, was making comments about how much better the Kings were at completing passes than the Wild. It was either a stupid and/or lazy pass that got picked off by a King or an errant pass that just didn't connect and we lost the zone. We were just not playing solid positionally at all last night and I think you see the obvious result in the pathetic amount of shots on goal we ended up putting on Quick.

Coyle, in particular, had a really rough game last night as far as coughing up the puck and I feel like he's coming down from that recent hot-streak and might be starting to lose that confidence again. Brodin also looked bad at times, especially during a brief stretch (early in the 2nd?) where he just looked lost and completely out of his league against the Kings forecheck. Dumba had a decent game, but got baited by Brown and took a really stupid penalty which pretty much lead to the Kings only goal. Parise also looks really frustrated out there. He's working his tail off, but I don't know whether it's an injury, something mental or just plain bad luck.

The one bright, shining star of last night was Dubnyk. Dude stood on his head and even had Doughty shaking his head on a few of those big saves. His save on Muzzin with no stick was a pretty amazing effort too and hopefully the team starts feeding off of that type of effort as we move closer to the end of the regular season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gotta love Dubs play right now although I just watched highlights and didn't see much more than that.

Peaking at the right time?

This game felt a lot like last year's second half. Doobs was very good, but more importantly, didn't make let in that one " bad goal". Even though the Wild were outshot badly, I thought they had some good chances, and limited LA chances. Once the Wild have confidence that their goaltender will make the first save, they play a different, more effective, game.

For all our talk of Parise, Haula, etc.., etc., last night's game showed once again how the goalie is the most important player on the ice for a team like the Wild who are always gonna be winning or losing one goal games .

If Doobs can string together a few games like this we are in the playoffs. If he can play like this for the rest of the year, who knows? Good things happen to teams that have great goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad