GDT: 3/21/17 - 7:30PM EDT - Arizona VS Tampa Bay

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not a good game from Vasi. Bad time for his youth troubles to show up. But my god the team in front of him is sooooo bad. This should have been a slaughter. Even with all of our injuries, that first line should've gotten 25 minutes and we should have coasted to a 2-3 goal win.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
And I also think he was our biggest problem this year!

Yes because, without Stammer, for example last year we've reached the ECF...losing only in game 7 2-1...so we were very very close to another Stanley Cup Final.
This year, Cooper (but the entire coaching staff) has stinked a lot.
And, imho, he deserves to be fired at the end of the season.
I've never seen a contender that because one of the worst team in the league.
Imagine if Real Madrid or Barcelona football club, will not qualify for the Champions League...the first thing that the GM will do is fire the coach...

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Lol. This team has plenty of talent without Stamkos to make the playoffs.

Cooper ruined this season with awful coaching throughout.

If last year's slow start had been a one-off thing, even most of us who don't care for Cooper probably wouldn't have held too much against him. Crap happens. Whatever. I'm pretty sure most of us were pretty comfortable with writing that off after the second half of the season and the playoff run (opponents notwithstanding).

And then not only did last year's first half repeat itself, it was even worse and more prolonged than last year. And that's unforgivable.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Cooper gets the first 20-30 games next season. If we aren't a top 8-10 team in the league by December, he's gone.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

*lol* if you haven't been motivated to fight like they should so far what makes them think they suddenly is going to find it now?

You say that as if they weren't motivated tonight. Our team just doesn't have enough quality NHLers on it right now.

Fact of the matter is, with these injuries, we NEED our best players to be on the ball almost every night.

We get it from Kucherov. We get it from Hedman. And that's it.

I wish I could say Drouin's name, but ****, he's turned back into a passenger from that driving force he's shown this year. When we needed him to step up the most, very disappointing.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Yes because, without Stammer, for example last year we've reached the ECF...losing only in game 7 2-1...so we were very very close to another Stanley Cup Final.
This year, Cooper (but the entire coaching staff) has stinked a lot.
And, imho, he deserves to be fired at the end of the season.
I've never seen a contender that because one of the worst team in the league.
Imagine if Real Madrid or Barcelona football club, will not qualify for the Champions League...the first thing that the GM will do is fire the coach...

Lol, 'mate. We fire the manager for finishing in second place in the damn league. Failing to make the Champions League would, like, I dunno, force the mass resignation of the President and the entire board. :laugh:

Spain doesn't have the patience that Italian clubs, or at least Juventus I'm guessing, would have.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If last year's slow start had been a one-off thing, even most of us who don't care for Cooper probably wouldn't have held too much against him. Crap happens. Whatever. I'm pretty sure most of us were pretty comfortable with writing that off after the second half of the season and the playoff run (opponents notwithstanding).

And then not only did last year's first half repeat itself, it was even worse and more prolonged than last year. And that's unforgivable.

Same can be said about injuries. They happen and they suck. But the team defense has gotten exponentially worse. Also, what's the rationale behind playing the 1st line of 18-21-86 any less than every other shift? I'd certainly rather see them over Brown and Witkowski getting regular shifts.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Cooper gets the first 20-30 games next season. If we aren't a top 8-10 team in the league by December, he's gone.

Unless we've got a Mike Sullivan-type coach at Syracuse (and I frankly don't know one way or the other), I'd so much rather get rid of Cooper and address the problem in the off-season when there's more options and the ability to acclimate the roster to new structures and methods in training camp. It won't happen, which pains almost all of us, but it should.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
I'll give Cooper credit for his comments after the game. When you don't want to play defense in your end , it turns out like tonight. They gave Vasy very little help in our end! When you give up 15 goals in 3 games, it sure as hell isn't all your goalies fault.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll give Cooper credit for his comments after the game. When you don't want to play defense in your end , it turns out like tonight. They gave Vasy very little help in our end! When you give up 15 goals in 3 games, it sure as hell isn't all your goalies fault.

I mean... at the same time, Vasi had some soff goals.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Pretty much. They may have made it into the playoffs after a record run but a large chunk of last season was garbage. A large chunk of this season was garbage. How many ****** regular seasons do we need to have before things change ? Is creating a "Will we miss the playoff ?" thread going to be an annual December tradition ?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Cooper tends to say the right things post game. His issue is actually coaching the team. He would make a great color guy.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Cooper tends to say the right things post game. His issue is actually coaching the team. He would make a great color guy.

Agree, would rather see Cooper go after this season. He can't seem to get this team fired up when we need it. To me it is coaching when we have watched this team for 3 years constantly pass the puck too much and not shoot when they have great chances.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Lol, 'mate. We fire the manager for finishing in second place in the damn league. Failing to make the Champions League would, like, I dunno, force the mass resignation of the President and the entire board. :laugh:

Spain doesn't have the patience that Italian clubs, or at least Juventus I'm guessing, would have.
:D :D :D :D
My friend, in Italy we've less patience than Spain or other country. Believe me.
Think about Inter of Milan at the beginning of 2000 or at Palermo with his president, Maurizio Zamparini, who in his life has fired lots lots lots of head coach :D :D
Also my team, Juventus, from 2007 to 2011 has changed 5 head coach, before hire Conte and win again :)
There're also many Juve fans who want to fire Allegri, although the coach has won everything and bring the team to the Champions League final in 2015... :D :D

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I also find it funny that the Cooper apologists from last week have been silent during this losing streak. They showed up when we were in a playoff spot for 15 minutes.

At least be like Sky and myself. Stick to your guns ;)

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

Disagree. Vasy has had some real awful goals during this losing streak. The first one tonight that put us behind...was craptastic. That put us in a hole. Sorry but Vasy gets a bunch of blame with everyone else.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Disagree. Vasy has had some real awful goals during this losing streak. The first one tonight that put us behind...was craptastic. That put us in a hole. Sorry but Vasy gets a bunch of blame with everyone else.

Agreed. Bad time to have youth struggles. Knew he would go through them, was just hoping it wouldn't show up now.

Just remember the kid is 22. The struggles will be worth it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Great interview from Engblom. He's talking about how after the game he went and spoke with Tippett. Tippett said that they struggled early in the season because they committed to the youthful talent. He knew it would be a struggle but he had the team playing hard through it, and they've played above .500 hockey since the New Year. Mentioned that the youth is turning it around and becoming professionals.

Wish Cooper had that kind of patience with Drouin and Koekkoek.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Agreed. Bad time to have youth struggles. Knew he would go through them, was just hoping it wouldn't show up now.

Just remember the kid is 22. The struggles will be worth it.

The team needs some tinkering for sure(on D) but much of the roster was ready made for a Cup run with Bish. How long does Vasy need? How long can you afford Drouin, Stammer, Hedman and Kuch? The window is short IMHO. Starting over with Vasy is questionable.

But hey...in Yzerman we trust.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I also find it funny that the Cooper apologists from last week have been silent during this losing streak. They showed up when we were in a playoff spot for 15 minutes.

At least be like Sky and myself. Stick to your guns ;)

Also, love that people are coming out at Cooper for these recent string of losses, these losses are probably the ones I blame him the LEAST all year.

Vasi had a poor night, and the defense is being it's usual self but the forwards were playing well, golden chances all night, no finish, that's not on Cooper. What's on Cooper is the lackluster 50 games to start the season.

Oh well, opening night next season is going to be a fun one with all eyes on Cooper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad