GDT: 3/20/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Detroit VS Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Except a suspension-worthy board that leaves a giant welt on a guy's face and him spitting blood and another holding the stick where the TB player flies 2 feet in the air are much more noticeable/egregious than an accidental high stick.

Putting the whistles away unless calls are obvious is one thing. What happened in the 3rd was unacceptable.

Not saying it was acceptable. I'm just saying it was a case where they weren't going to call anything whatsoever, regardless of the team. The Smith on Namestnikov play was pretty ridiculous.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not saying it was acceptable. I'm just saying it was a case where they weren't going to call anything whatsoever, regardless of the team. The Smith on Namestnikov play was pretty ridiculous.

Nope not buying that excuse. They didn't want to call anything they wouldn't have called an extremely ticky tack too many men penalty.

Reffing was terrible. I could go on and on but let's just say if the reffing wasn't what it was tonight, TB would have blown out Detroit. They can't hang with the speed so they have to cheat. When they are allowed to get away with it, it makes the game closer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nope not buying that excuse. They didn't want to call anything they wouldn't have called an extremely ticky tack too many men penalty.

Reffing was terrible. I could go on and on but let's just say if the reffing wasn't what it was tonight, TB would have blown out Detroit. They can't hang with the speed so they have to cheat. When they are allowed to get away with it, it makes the game closer.

So you're saying the refs were actively trying to give the Wings a win then. Okay.

They put their whistles away to an absurd degree. But there's no anti-Lightning agenda behind it.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not so much anti-Lightning as pro-Wings/any market but Florida. Besides games like this it's absurd how many times we get the short end of the stick on goalie interference calls, or scrums where both teams are being nasty but somehow WE always end up with the extra penalty. It's unreal. I don't think it's a conscious bias (if anything if there were a conspiracy you'd think the league would rig it in favor of non-traditional markets to grow the game) but it's definitely some kind of factor going on in the back of their mind. We've had Paul Stewart in the past admit that he'd go out of his way to call certain players more than others, so it's not that big a stretch.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

Or they missed the high stick and were letting Detroit slide. I don't know...whatever the case, it's either favoritism or horrible officiating that leads to someone testing the boundaries and seriously injuring someone.

This **** always happens against Original Six teams. **** their history and call a game right, especially in our dome, you blind ****s.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
So you're saying the refs were actively trying to give the Wings a win then. Okay.

They put their whistles away to an absurd degree. But there's no anti-Lightning agenda behind it.

I'm not saying it's an active bias. I'm saying in this game, the refs let the red wings get away with easily 10 automatic penalties that are called 99.9% of the time.

Call it what you want. But it was horribly one sided tonight.

Voidskipper

Jan 7, 2014
Tampa
I'm not saying it's an active bias. I'm saying in this game, the refs let the red wings get away with easily 10 automatic penalties that are called 99.9% of the time.

Call it what you want. But it was horribly one sided tonight.

Of course there is bias in the officiating. Same is true in lots of sports. Until they start doing after action review of games this will continue.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Guys any thoughts about Namestnikov as a starter? Had he progress since then coming from AHL? Is he heavyly earned his spot too? Is he growing?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Obviously bias but it felt like playing against MTL with the reffing tonight. No boarding call against Nammy? Really? That was way worse than what Kucherov did..

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
NHL.com's caption on Stralman's goal is "Stral I do is win". :laugh:

Great game for Big Ben, if not for him it wouldn't be a scoreless game after that awful 1st period.

Drouin looked great! Awesome to see him let off the leash a bit more!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
The reffing in the 3rd period was atrocious.
Kucherov got a boarding for exactly the same play that Smith did to Names

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The reffing in the 3rd period was atrocious.
Kucherov got a boarding for exactly the same play that Smith did to Names
I'd argue Smith's hit was worse, actually. There was no race to the puck, no turning into the boards - full on cross check in the numbers to the boards.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
The refs tried to swallow their whistles . A big game with playoff implications that they did not want interfere by calling tons of penalties. Get used to it and keep playing regardless of what refs do. We need to learn to not let the refs knock us off our game . We did pretty good for most part and didn't whine much and our play far overcame the refs.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The refs tried to swallow their whistles . A big game with playoff implications that they did not want interfere by calling tons of penalties. Get used to it and keep playing regardless of what refs do. We need to learn to not let the refs knock us off our game . We did pretty good for most part and didn't whine much and our play far overcame the refs.

Came here to say this. I could care less about penalties being called. I just care we won. We didn't need the refs help to win this one. We are moving up in the world and last night was a huge win. Detroit has all but fallen apart these past few weeks. Most importantly we took advantage.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't care about them ignoring minor penalties but the hit on Vlad should absolutely have been called. Putting down whistles on the little things is fine with me but they need to call dangerous hits. Luckily he only had surface injuries from it but it could have been a lot worse.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It goes both ways. If they didn't want to call the Smith hit because it would decide the game, why did they call the Kucherov hit then? That 5 min PP clearly decided the game for the Jets.

I agree more importantly is how we overcame that, because it's clear that's what the Lightning always have to do to win games in this league. It makes our cup win way more impressive than any other of that era, IMO.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Refs sucked and Cally got the brunt of it. Should have never gotten 4 mins in the 1st period, refs missed an interference call on him earlier which is why he reacted later. Was even tripped going for that EN goal, should of been a penalty. But we succeeded even if we had to face both biased reffing and Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad