GDT: 3/20/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Toronto

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
This. Finish the seasons. Bring him in to give input on the draft. Smoothly transition away from Boucher. However, I'm not too sure about Boucher leaving honestly. SFY isn't too reactionary. Does things incrementally. I expect him to hand pick assistants instead.

In that case, we'd lose Cooper unless for some strange reason both are on the bench together, which I dont think will happen. Its one or the other, I have a hunch Yzerman like you said will keep Boucher for another year and let him go when his contract expires.

What a terrible decision that would be too.

TurboBrick

Mar 26, 2012
SATX
Definitely looks that way, and still recall all the mentions of how Boucher relied on Fleming's analysis of game film, etc, even when he couldn't be behind the bench any longer.

Gives more credence to the possibility that Boucher's first season was more of an outlier, than the last two.

Yzerman has to address the coaching staff this off-season - that's on him to correct the issues. I'm in the belief that means a full overhaul at the head coaching position to Cooper, but at the very least he has to hand pick Boucher's assistants whether Guy likes it or not. Fleming was hired by Yzerman and not brought by Boucher to the organization from Hamiliton - that also stands out to me.

I don't think that Boucher is a flat out bad coach, he just needs a strong assistant coach like Fleming was. When we finish the season with 3GF - 4GA averages and Guy gives his "we just find a way to sabotage ourselves and lose one goal games" speech (again), something has to change. That is, either:

a) SFY goes and picks an assistant for Boucher to keep everyone honest.

or

b) We toss the entire coaching staff out and bring in Cooper & co.

I'm leaning towards option B. Can you trade a coach? Boucher and Lecavalier to Montreal for draft picks...?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I don't think that Boucher is a flat out bad coach, he just needs a strong assistant coach like Fleming was. When we finish the season with 3GF - 4GA averages and Guy gives his "we just find a way to sabotage ourselves and lose one goal games" speech (again), something has to change. That is, either:

a) SFY goes and picks an assistant for Boucher to keep everyone honest.

or

b) We toss the entire coaching staff out and bring in Cooper & co.

I'm leaning towards option B. Can you trade a coach? Boucher and Lecavalier to Montreal for draft picks...?

I like option B at this point too. I just don't think Yzerman does things like that. I hope I'm wrong though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the assistants is the problem. Get some experienced guys there. The goaltending and D coaching is awful. I think this team will be better next season as the kids will be up for the most of the time and they will get better. I think they are heading towards a bright future. Its just not happening right this moment.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
But Guy Boucher took this Tampa team far in the playoffs before. He's a good coach but the personnel he is provided are what's keeping you guys from any success. You guys, IMO, lack in two key positions that can derail any team - D and G.

Take Detroit for example. They have unreal talent up front but their D and G have question marks, despite Howard being considered a number 1 G. The D is inconsistent and that is what keeps hurting the Wings, and that is why they've been inconsistent throughout the year.

Yeah? Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's defense in his first year. Guy Boucher had success with the residual offense and got lucky with Roloson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah? Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's defense in his first year. Guy Boucher had success with the residual offense and got lucky with Roloson.

I disagree. Our team then wasnt more talented than it is now. Just more experienced. We had Gagne, a few more defenseman who were more physical when we dont have that now. We missing some key elements. Its not Boucher. Its the team isnt ready yet to be a consistent winner. I think its heading that way with these kids coming up. Its just not the current team we got right now. It sucks but thats the truth.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
IMO get rid of Guy and bring in Cooper for the rest of the season so he has the rest of the season to warm up for next season. Cooper already has experience with half our roster and has done good things with him. I feel like we will still have Guy next season though..

What - get t rid of Boucher and lose our chance at a top 3 pick!?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I disagree. Our team then wasnt more talented than it is now. Just more experienced. We had Gagne, a few more defenseman who were more physical when we dont have that now. We missing some key elements. Its not Boucher. Its the team isnt ready yet to be a consistent winner. I think its heading that way with these kids coming up. Its just not the current team we got right now. It sucks but thats the truth.

So by adding more youth, the team becomes more experienced?

That's my point, the team rid of Gagne, Downie, Bergenheim (yeah asking too much), Moore and other players that this team relied on. Gagne was willing to stand in front of the net, Downie would hit back (yeah stupid occasional stupid penalties) and Bergenheim would dig out pucks in the corner and forecheck. Then why are the youths playing better, each night, than the veterans?

It's not a coincidence that the team has had this season, this should have been anticipated given the trends over the last two years. These changes were financial but also representative of the players that Boucher wants for his "process".

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Before his ankle injury this season, Vinny was the best forward on the team. It is seriously frustrating with his string of injuries; however, these are not of the chronic variety in which the same nagging injury keeps appearing. These are freak injuries that have been plaguing him. His salary is too high, not arguing that, but with what he brings to the table in other aspects of the organization it helps to balance the disparity.

No he definitely wasn't.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So by adding more youth, the team becomes more experienced?

That's my point, the team rid of Gagne, Downie, Bergenheim (yeah asking too much), Moore and other players that this team relied on. Gagne was willing to stand in front of the net, Downie would hit back (yeah stupid occasional stupid penalties) and Bergenheim would dig out pucks in the corner and forecheck. Then why are the youths playing better, each night, than the veterans?

It's not a coincidence that the team has had this season, this should have been anticipated given the trends over the last two years. These changes were financial but also representative of the players that Boucher wants for his "process".

I cant disagree that they are playing great. I just think the team isnt quite together. Its kind of a team just thrown together at this point mid season. With barely any practice time and a brand new team trying to gell midseason is tough.

I will agree though that the team wasnt that far off and the next season tanked. Its like why not make a bigger run the next season? They were strapped financially yes but I think the roster is still pretty close. Hopefully they can add a couple vets (preferably on D) and then the team should be pretty close to where it once was a couple years ago. The experience is important. Not just for the kids but the whole team playing together.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I cant disagree that they are playing great. I just think the team isnt quite together. Its kind of a team just thrown together at this point mid season. With barely any practice time and a brand new team trying to gell midseason is tough.

I will agree though that the team wasnt that far off and the next season tanked. Its like why not make a bigger run the next season? They were strapped financially yes but I think the roster is still pretty close. Hopefully they can add a couple vets (preferably on D) and then the team should be pretty close to where it once was a couple years ago. The experience is important. Not just for the kids but the whole team playing together.

I agree that experience is necessary. I don't want to bench Lindback or send the Crunchers back to the AHL. They are making better use of these games than the veterans.

I agree that there is enough talent on this team to make the playoffs - this season.

I don't agree that Boucher is the coach that will get the job done.

I do believe that Boucher should have until the end of this season. It would be an additional year (contract expiration) but Cooper has looked too good to ignore.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I agree that experience is necessary. I don't want to bench Lindback or send the Crunchers back to the AHL. They are making better use of these games than the veterans.

I agree that there is enough talent on this team to make the playoffs - this season.

I don't agree that Boucher is the coach that will get the job done.

I do believe that Boucher should have until the end of this season. It would be an additional year (contract expiration) but Cooper has looked too good to ignore.

Completely agree. Give Boucher one last chance to show some results. If he doesn't, we get a top 10 pick. If he does, we have our system in place for the long term. Cooper will be available to start the summer anyway, no need to fire Boucher now.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I cant believe some of the responses on the TML board, pretty comical, including this gem, you'd have to think at some point, they just simply watch the sport because they are in Canada and they have to. They must not really give a damn on how people live after they retire, Im sure every player wants to walk with their own ability then to be pushed around in a wheelchair or eat through a straw.

Check out this gem of a response;

If you are 6'6 and manage to get "headshoted" by a guy who is 6 feet tall... You should probably start reconsidering how tough of a guy you think you are. Hedman intentionally put himself in a stupid position... And this sort of crap has been happening ever since the nhl started cracking down on headshots and hits from behind. I swear it seems like more and more players are intentionally turning the wrong way heading into the boards... Idiotically putting their bodies at risk to draw a call. This is something Shanny should be looking at.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
The Lightning need to check their fundamentals.

In the last 23 games following the 6-1 start the team has gone cold on the power play.

Since February 2nd:
23 games
9 power play goals
76 power plays
11.842% success
0.39 power play goals per game
3.30 power plays per game

If you remove the outlier 2 for 8 game (both values above average) on March 2nd:
10.294% success
0.32 power play goals per game
3.09 power plays per game

I don't have numbers for the other teams during this period, but the worst overall PP% for the entire season is 12.0% (Buffalo).

2010-11: 20.5% (6th in NHL)
2011-12: 15.2 % (25th)
2012-13: 18.9% (13th, and falling)

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I cant believe some of the responses on the TML board, pretty comical, including this gem, you'd have to think at some point, they just simply watch the sport because they are in Canada and they have to. They must not really give a damn on how people live after they retire, Im sure every player wants to walk with their own ability then to be pushed around in a wheelchair or eat through a straw.

Check out this gem of a response;

If you are 6'6 and manage to get "headshoted" by a guy who is 6 feet tall... You should probably start reconsidering how tough of a guy you think you are. Hedman intentionally put himself in a stupid position... And this sort of crap has been happening ever since the nhl started cracking down on headshots and hits from behind. I swear it seems like more and more players are intentionally turning the wrong way heading into the boards... Idiotically putting their bodies at risk to draw a call. This is something Shanny should be looking at.

The response from the Maple Leafs fans should be expected. The response from the Lightning players (or lack there of) is inexcusable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad