Post-Game Talk: 3-2 Win over the Sabres. The System Works!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Oilers fan here. The oilers are an exciting young team that can chop water and carry wood with the best of them.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So I opened this thread hoping to find some information on the game. I didn't get a chance to watch much of it. Stuff like:

- How many mins did Nikitin get? He just got back from an injury and I'm just curious if they sheltered him with fewer minutes or sent him to the front line like some fodder.

How did Fasthe look?

Did Aulie play? How was he? Dare I ask? :D

Looks like Arco is finding his mitts. Same with Gordon.

All I've been seeing is remarks about Eakins.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Wow I'm surprised at how cynical everyone is already. Let's enjoy a win guys! 52 shots on goal is pretty impressive too and Pakarinen looked like a player getting his first goal and 6 shots on net in only 7:40 of ice time.

Last edited:

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
So I opened this thread hoping to find some information on the game. I didn't get a chance to watch much of it. Stuff like:

- How many mins did Nikitin get? He just got back from an injury and I'm just curious if they sheltered him with fewer minutes or sent him to the front line like some fodder.

How did Fasthe look?

Well if you're being serious...you could go to NHL.com for a lot of those answers.

Nikitin actually played the most of any Oiler. Why? Because Eakins. #86 continues to look pretty terrible making bad decisions defending and with the puck.

Aulie is also pretty awful. Yes he is physical but his decision making is peewee level. Tonight the Oilers had a 3 on 2 break and he decides at that moment to pick a fight...good on you Aulie. Good on you.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Matchups like this are a disgrace to a pro sports league.

For years we've had to put up with *contests* like this for the *prize* with the Oilers being in the lot of them.

The whole concept of losing intentionally to grab a top draft needs to go. Replace it with ****ing relegation so pathetic Mickey Mouse orgs like this don't continue to persist in the top league.

The quality of play tonight in the one period I even bothered to watch was abysmal and as if neither team had coaches...:sarcasm:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oiler fan coming in peace.

I know you guys tried really hard to lose but the Sabres just laid back to hard tonight and forced you guys to get lots of shots. That Pakarinen really showed a lot of effort tonight but don't worry, Eakins will have him hating his life and putting in minimal effort within a few weeks.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well if you're being serious...you could go to NHL.com for a lot of those answers.

Nikitin actually played the most of any Oiler. Why? Because Eakins. #86 continues to look pretty terrible making bad decisions defending and with the puck.

Aulie is also pretty awful. Yes he is physical but his decision making is peewee level. Tonight the Oilers had a 3 on 2 break and he decides at that moment to pick a fight...good on you Aulie. Good on you.

I'm as serious as say......an armoured man clacking 2 coconuts together so's it's sound's like's a horse.

But I was just wondering...and I like to visit these boards every once in a while...about some of those question's I asked.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

I'm not too impressed that Nikitin played the most of any Oiler.

Definitely a different philosophy than what I adhere to.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This was only the 3rd game in 15 that the Sabres managed to get 30+ shots on their opposition... and one of those other games went to OT to allow them to pass the 30 shot mark.

The Oilers didn't exactly walk over them. The result was in doubt until the end.

Sabres are averaging just 22 shots per game... and are outshot by an average of 15 shots per game. They score 1.13 goals per game while allowing 3.13 against and have a 4% PP. Shutout 5 times already.

It's honestly amazing they even have a win at this stage and I wouldn't doubt their season record will rival the worst in NHL history at this rate.

That the Oilers squeaked out this win and are able to talk about processes and that this is a game which can somehow be used as a positive... well what else could they say... I don't think even their own simple minds believe those sound bites for even a second.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This was only the 3rd game in 15 that the Sabres managed to get 30+ shots on their opposition... and one of those other games went to OT to allow them to pass the 30 shot mark.

The Oilers didn't exactly walk over them. The result was in doubt until the end.

Sabres are averaging just 22 shots per game... and are outshot by an average of 15 shots per game. They score 1.13 goals per game while allowing 3.13 against and have a 4% PP. Shutout 5 times already.

It's honestly amazing they even have a win at this stage and I wouldn't doubt their season record will rival the worst in NHL history at this rate.

That the Oilers squeaked out this win and are able to talk about processes and that this is a game which can somehow be used as a positive... well what else could they say... I don't think even their own simple minds believe those sound bites for even a second.

Hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree with this assessment.

We've been in "limbo" for much too long.

It's getting tiring.
It's becoming repulsive.
It's time for a firing.
The coach is convulsive.
In need of some D.
And weak on some C.
This team needs a change.
This IS getting strange.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
At the game and wow was that a sloppy uninspired effort from both sides!

Myers is horrible, like aulie mixed with nikitin, it's bad! I once wanted him on the oilers!

It wasn't until halfway through the 3rd until any form of passion of urgency became remotely evident!
Changes need to be made!

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I went to the game. Nice to come out with a win, but god it was not an NHL game.

It was ugly as all hell. The Oilers, for 80% of the game, skated the puck in, took a weak shot on goal, nobody would crash the net, and Buffalo would try to clear the puck. They're such a sloppy and untalented team that sometimes it didn't work, and the Oilers would often get a second, maybe third, shot on goal, but almost never any sustained, dangerous pressure. There were 3 points all game where they had that kind of serious, dangerous pressure. At the start of the first, with about 6-7 minutes left in the second for a few minutes, and around the mid-way point of the 3rd. But it wasn't so much that they were doing anything special. Buffalo just looked exhausted and wasn't battling for pucks. When they were, Edmonton usually couldn't sustain any dangerous pressure.

The guy behind me commented on how crisp and well-executed the Oilers' "system" was in the 2nd period.....I think that's less on Edmonton, than an indictment of how absolutely putrid Buffalo is. Like, it's hard to believe how sloppy and untalented about half, maybe more, of their team is.

A few Oilers played inspired games:

Petry- best d-man on the ice. Held the zone numerous times which led to scoring chances for. Was the only Oilers d-man who looked like he was actually trying to keep the shooting lane cleared out so that Fasth could track the puck. Carries the puck out of the zone extremely well. Had a bit of egg on his face on the first goal, but Nikitin flicked a stupid pass to him that was in his skates, and he was then literally left on his own behind the net. He was double-teamed, never really had full control of it because of a weird and poorly made pass and had nobody to outlet it to even if he had. He lost it, and Pouliot, Eberle, and Nikitin were nowhere near their checks. That was literally the only play you could even fault him on all game though, and I don't think it's all that fair to even blame him for it.
Arco- he WANTED it. Every time he was on the ice, he was making that little extra effort. To tie up his man at the last second, to clear the puck out of the zone, to stay on-side, to retrieve the puck in the o-zone. His hustle was contagious for the team. His game tying goal was basically a perfect example of his night: "Mr. Second Effort".
Yakupov- I'm not sure what it is that he's doing wrong on most nights where he looks like he's just kind of half a step off...but it's all going to explode once it comes together perfectly. God, you can really see how hard he's working to be a part of this team-- laid out to block a shot by Myers in the 3rd period. Pushed a d-man bigger than himself backwards so that he could establish positioning in front of the net when he saw the puck coming back to the point. He was the most vocal guy on the entire team in the d-zone, constantly calling and pointing out the open man.
Joensuu- constantly in on the forecheck, one of the only guys who consistently drove to the net on offense, hustled back on defense, saw a couple of times where he stepped off of his man because the d-men were chasing into the corners and may have prevented a couple of goals as a result. I don't really believe in that whole "*player* energized his teammates" argument, but he definitely led by example.

A few players had some seriously good stretches of play, and some absolutely putrid ones:
Perron- Absolutely a Jekyll and Hyde performance. Some shifts he was banging and battling and shooting. On others, he was just out for a leisurely Sunday open skate, totally uninterested at both ends of the ice.
Marincin- Teams have figured him out a bit-- he's very predictable when retrieving the puck and almost always coughs it up when guys put pressure on him. His gap control is still lacking too, and Stafford took advantage of that. But man, when he has control of the puck, he makes great passes, almost always makes the right play in pulling back or attempting to hold the zone, almost always gets pucks through to the net. Very inconsistent tonight though.

Okay, but nothing special:
Fayne- Generally solid defensively, but a few god awful clearing attempts, and he kept trying this stretch pass that led to icing damn near every time.
Purcell- Made a whole bunch of nice little plays: holding the zone a few times, taking hits to make plays, a nifty little tip pass to the front of the net from the cycle when he was basically being double-teamed in the corner. Lots of coasting in the defensive zone though.
Hendricks- Skated miles and worked hard...but gave up a few good chances by not covering his man closely enough. And was a black hole offensively. Every time he got the puck, he'd take a weak shot or he'd lose possession.
Gordon- Solid on D, but gave up the puck a LOT tonight. But netting the game winner ultimately probably gives him a boost to being one of the better guys.
RNH- Didn't really do much of anything definitive offensively or defensively. But I'd say his line gave up more golden chances than they created.
Aulie- Just a solid, quiet night. No glaring errors to speak of, and that's all you can ask of your 7th/call-up guy. Got a few pucks through to the net, had a nice fight, and broke the cycle a couple of times.
Pakarinen- he's got the right idea offensively: shoot the puck and drive to the net. That's literally all he did, and created a buzz every time he was on the ice to that effect. But he struggled in his own zone the couple of times he found himself there. Might be unfamiliarity with the system (shouldn't be, cuz I think Nelson's running a similar, if not the same, system), but he looked confused.

PUTRID:
Eberle- he had a few good offensive rushes, yes. But he gave up SO many chances. Man, every time he was on the ice he lost his man. Buffalo got so many ridiculous chances with the off-side winger sneaking in because Eberle was standing in front of the net, hovering in a passing lane but not tying anybody up (nor actually breaking up passes), or, for the majority of the time, hovering around the blueline while the Oilers got pinned. Absolutely pathetic effort defensively.
Pouliot- Was Eberle's mirror image, but without any offensive spark to add. He was totally useless on offense, and an absolute liability on D.
Nikitin- Worst d-man on the ice. God, he was scary bad. I dunno if he's still injured, but looks very clumsy on his skates, constantly made bad decisions, iced the puck probably twice as much as anybody else, and was posterized various times for scoring chances. Less of him, more of Klefbom against NYR please. Or Ference. Whoever. This was SO bad, he needs a game in the press box.
Schultz- If Nikitin was the worst d-man, Schultz was probably the second worst. Pinched once when it was clear that he'd lose the race, and it was flipped past him into a 3-2 that resulted in a very good chance against. Pinched another time when there were two forwards cycling down low, Yakupov on the same side of the ice as whoever his partner was on that shift (he was switched up a few times tonight). Led to a partial breakaway by Buffalo. Contributed zero offense, despite cheating for it. Got stripped of the puck when carrying it on multiple occasions. Christ, whoever is making the call on d-men deployment this year is absolutely clueless. They kept throwing Edmonton's two worst d-men out there and they kept giving up momentum and good scoring chances. And they played together WAY too often for anybody's liking.
Draisaitl- just so slow, step behind the play, doesn't think or react quick enough. He's not an NHL player. Just constantly coughed up the puck while he was out there. Didn't know what to do on defense at all. Eakins pretty much benched him for the 2nd half of the game because he was clearly out of his element. If you can't keep up against the Sabres, that's a problem.

Final notes-- Myers is a really underwhelming d-man, or at least he was tonight. Nikita Zadorov, if it all comes together, is going to have one HELL of a career. He was NASTY, moved the puck well, and broke the cycle every time he was out there, where every other d-man on his team struggled. He's raw, but damn. Lots of glimpses of a star in the making. Did anybody else notice how flabby Chris Stewart is from while he was fighting Aulie? Usually NHLers have tight stomachs that you notice really stretching and flexing while they fight. His belly was soft and jiggly while throwing them. Could be a reason he's had such an otherwise underwhelming career given how much potential he seems to have had. Rick Jeanneret, the Sabres infamous long-time play-by-play guy ("MAY DAY MAY DAY MAY DAY!!!" "La-la-la-la-la-la-LAFONTAINNNNNE!!!") and Hockey Hall of Famer announced that he is cancer-free tonight. And finally, Neuvirth and Fasth made some inhuman saves and both played outstanding.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
From what I've read here, I'm glad I didn't watch.

To the OP: brilliant PGT title.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

He was obviously already there because his questions were 100% taylor made.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well, Aulie just bought him self a month in the starting lineup. Marincin should be packing his bags for the minors now or at least get ready to be in the press box once our captain gets back.

I find myself making what seem like totally illogical comments or judgements about this team because of the distrust of how management/coachimg will view a performance.

A plus three game in 3-2 win should be a thing to celebrate and praise a player for and Aulie should get praise for a good game but as soon as I saw his plus three I thought the comment I made in the 1st paragraph.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

How did Fasthe look?

Nikitin played a lot, looked slow and managed to get away with it all.

Fasth was fine.

Aulie was fine except for another dumb penalty.

I'm pleasantly pleased with Arco and Gordon finding the back of the net.

This place as their knives out for Eakins and they're not going to be put away until Eakins is gone. Basically we're at Spec vs Yakupov/Hemsky levels now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I went to the game. Nice to come out with a win, but god it was not an NHL game....

Nice report.

I agree... this was an NHL game in name only. A decent AHL team would have given either of these teams more than they could handle and the goalies made the game look respectable.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
eakmac.jpg

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Notice how any player we bring to the big club looks good for a while? (Whether it may be from another nhl team or our own ahl team).Scrivens, Perron, Marincin, Pakarinen, heck even Aulie has looked decent. Then once these players are here for a while they seem to lose all of their good habits that they were displaying when they first arrived. I wonder if that is solely on the coaching staff or does the losing culture set in? I'm starting to think that Eakins is ruining all of these guys. Just look at some ex oilers Dubnyk and Gagner. They looked great under Kreuger and were then horrible once Eakins arrived. Same goes for Yakupov and probably others that I am missing. Coincidence?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He decided a while ago that if the Oilers weren't going to put the effort in, he wasn't either.

LMHF quitting his post-game reports is all part of the process.

Yep. A very noteworthy moment as well. When someone as dedicated a fan as that just folds up the tent and stops posting not only about Home games but at all its a sign of the times.

Its virtually impossible to watch this club. One period and I had bile coming up..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad