Pre-Game Talk: 3/12/2015 | Blue Jackets @ Wings | 7:30pm | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Personally I'd rather they get Weiss going again by putting him in that position. He deserved a benching for his 2 bad plays leading to shorties against, but at the end of the day he'd make the top line a lot better than Luke can.

Another decent option is Jurco who hasn't had an opportunity with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg this year that I can remember.

In addition to this, having Glendening back on the 4th line will improve its play as well.

It is a very odd line-up choice, thankfully its a very temporary one.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Personally I'd rather they get Weiss going again by putting him in that position. He deserved a benching for his 2 bad plays leading to shorties against, but at the end of the day he'd make the top line a lot better than Luke can.

Another decent option is Jurco who hasn't had an opportunity with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg this year that I can remember.

In addition to this, having Glendening back on the 4th line will improve its play as well.

Jurco played with Dats and Tats a few games back iirc? After Helm was out but before we got Cole.

He did well, didn't necessarily produce much though. I think Jurco in the bottom 6 is more of a balancing thing by babs tbh..

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Glendening on the top line isn't a crime against humanity but like others said Abby or Cole seem like better options.

Just get sick of these Babcock man-crushes. Cal Clutterbuck busts his ass and doesn't get promoted to play opposite Tavares...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Luke Glendening has been on the top line for 3 games now,so far the Wings have lost 2 games in regulation for the first time all year and been outshot 38-26 by the Oilers

Are you really trying to pin that on Glendening?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Im not a fan of LG on the top line. I absolutely think Babcock has gone senile sitting Weiss when putting LG on the top line though. It actually makes me laugh.

Weiss isnt a fantastic player but hes still a decent passer and can easily retrieve pucks.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

Jurco? He played with Datsyuk and Tatar just a couple of games ago, not that I'm surprised you forgot about it already with how he played there. Glendening was an immediate improvement if you can believe it.

Personally I wouldn't mind Weiss getting a shot either but I don't really care. Glendening's been fine as a short-term placeholder; if I thought he was there for any other reason then it would be different.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Jurco? He played with Datsyuk and Tatar just a couple of games ago, not that I'm surprised you forgot about it already with how he played there. Glendening was an immediate improvement if you can believe it.

Personally I wouldn't mind Weiss getting a shot either but I don't really care. Glendening's been fine as a short-term placeholder; if I thought he was there for any other reason then it would be different.

Haha. So true on Jurco. He played there for 1.5 games before he got shoved out after killing play after play.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Are you really trying to pin that on Glendening?

not fully but I definitely don't think it's a coincidence either

putting a ~15 point guy on the first line isn't exactly gonna help you win games

Glendening on the top line isn't a crime against humanity but like others said Abby or Cole seem like better options.

Just get sick of these Babcock man-crushes. Cal Clutterbuck busts his ass and doesn't get promoted to play opposite Tavares...

photo.php

photo.php

their facial expressions on hockeydb combined with this post made me laugh :laugh:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's just not a choice most coaches would make. You don't promote a guy that just had a terrible game. Putting Glendening in a bigger role tells the other guys, "work as hard as Luke and you'll get top line minutes too". I thought we wanted Babcock to play the guys who deserve it? Maybe Glenny just deserves it more than Jurco or Weiss or Pulkkinen.

Why break up the Abby-Z-Cole line though? It's been good.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So you put Abby on one line, Cole on the other, and then you have a worker on both line.

But with more capable players.

This is just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking the rationale for keeping abby-Z-cole together is so they have an opportunity to develop some chemistry/get comfortable with one another before the playoffs.

Don't disagree with you about Glendenning not belonging on the top line. Having him there though is consistent with how Babcock has ran the lines for pretty much the whole season (i.e. two skill guys with one player capable of forechecking/retrieving the puck).

Glendenning is there for probably just one more game until Helm is back, which makes it not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
That's just not a choice most coaches would make. You don't promote a guy that just had a terrible game. Putting Glendening in a bigger role tells the other guys, "work as hard as Luke and you'll get top line minutes too". I thought we wanted Babcock to play the guys who deserve it? Maybe Glenny just deserves it more than Jurco or Weiss or Pulkkinen.

You also need to take into account what he can accomplish. Glendening has been servicable but that doesnt mean we cant do better. Apart from his freakishly lucky goal, he hasnt really added or lost a whole heap to the line. I guess you could call that a win?

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Agree that Weiss should be with Dats and Tats.

Glendening should be anchoring the 4th, the line has lost the effectiveness that, IMO, made us one of the best teams in the league during the year.

Jurco looks great, does everything right, but just cannot produce despite the great looks he gets. Send him down if we have someone to take that spot whether it be Franzen, Helm, don't care. Pulks up

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
As for the game, we need a win. We gave away the last few games and we cannot afford it, Boston is making up ground quickly. CBJ is not a good team and we need to take advantage of it.

Please start on time for once

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's just not a choice most coaches would make. You don't promote a guy that just had a terrible game. Putting Glendening in a bigger role tells the other guys, "work as hard as Luke and you'll get top line minutes too". I thought we wanted Babcock to play the guys who deserve it? Maybe Glenny just deserves it more than Jurco or Weiss or Pulkkinen

Doesn't hurt that he's from Michigan and Babs golden boy either....

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

He played with him for 1 game, 1 game in which they beat one of the hottest teams in the league, handing them one of their few losses in the past month. He's definitely not an ideal 1st line player either, but he's more offensively gifted than Glendening will ever be.

It's something Babcock used to do regularly. In fact he used to commonly tell reporters that the best way to bust any slump on the team is to put the player with Datsyuk.

Babcock is incredibly inconsistent as far as promoting guys who "deserve" it.

When Weiss came back from injury he went on a nice scoring streak and still couldn't move up the line-up. Even now after cooling off he still has the best (or very close to the best) shooting % on the team yet can't even get into the line-up because he made 2 bad turnovers in a game?

When Cleary was getting a regular shift last season he was making more mistakes per shift than Weiss has this season and yet he never seemed to have any trouble staying in Babs' good graces.

We saw the same thing with Legwand last year, and we've seen it with many others too. Ericsson has had several games where he's made multiple bonehead plays that ended up in our net.

Babcock has his favorites and he'll justify his added ice-time for them however he sees fit.

It's not any kind of big deal, but realistically the only forwards on our current roster that aren't a better fit for the 1st line wing position over Glendening are Cleary, Andersson and Miller but there is an argument to be made for Miller since he's at least a natural winger.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As for the game, we need a win. We gave away the last few games and we cannot afford it, Boston is making up ground quickly. CBJ is not a good team and we need to take advantage of it.

Yeah, if we don't pay enough attention and win us some games, Boston's not passing over the opportunity.
But I'm convinced that we do their job, still hoping that we get that 2nd for home ice.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
He played with him for 1 game, 1 game in which they beat one of the hottest teams in the league, handing them one of their few losses in the past month. He's definitely not an ideal 1st line player either, but he's more offensively gifted than Glendening will ever be.

He played two games with Datsyuk lately, IIRC played some games with him at the start of the season as well and was playing with Tatar and Sheahan for a good period of time. Has been given PP time. 2 G 12 A 14 P

Glendening has played mostly on the 4th line with Andersson and Miller. Has played two games with Datsyuk and gets no PP time. 8 G 4 A 12 P

If Jurco really is that much better offensively then he's doing a piss poor job at showing it. Right now it's all just potential which isn't going to win us many games.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
That's 'cause he needs some confidence back. He won't find it with the Wings right now, so sending him down is still the best thing to do. Won't overvalue that he is snakebiten this season and not really generating much offense. Doesn't change the fact that he's a guy with much more to come. Give him some time.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Looking back on the gdts to confirm my memory, I see that lgd had his first start with dats in the Boston game. He then played on that line last game. So the wings are 1-1 with lgd in the first line and he scored a goal in the loss. I don't think he's hurting that line too much, and will be put back down as soon as helms back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad