Post-Game Talk: 3/12/14: Hawks lose to Avs [MOD warning post #586]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
To put the god Varlamov into perspective....we have fired 175 shots at him im 4 full games and part of a fifth game when he came in for the pulled Guiguerre.. We scored only 7 goals.. So he saved 168 out of 175 shots...EDM in just 2 games against him scored 10 goals on 57 shots (.8245)...Nashville in 3 games against him scored 10 goals on 85 shots (.882)...so why were their shooters so more efficient in finishing on him than our guys with lots more shots per game on him? Yes credit to his being incredibly hot against us....but the truth is also t against him.hat our shooters are way off their normal shooting efficiency..not that we have super efficiencies.in shooting..but still whatever we do have it is worse than their normal average against him...EDM and NASHVILLE shooters probably more efficient against him than their norms. Point is there are some teams that "own" him...while for us and those tonsbof shots and chances it seems we would need 50-60 shots to have any chance to beat him.. 35-40 shots does not seem good enough to do the job..unless our shooters finish better towards."normal"..though in 2014 normal is a far lower shooting efficiency than than we were converting in the 2013 portion of this season. Whatever.him saving at 96% on us or our painted shooters converting at only a 4% efficiency to shots. .the true result is probably more a combo of his top play against us and our own lousy converting on shots we get on him..TO sum up. .he good stoppingbour shots..and we stink way worse than our normal on failing to get enough these shots past him...credit and blame..2 sides of the same picture.

Last edited:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Varlamov is a tough matchup for the Hawks. Gotta shake this one off and move on. Hawks found a way to get the job done against Howard, Quick, and Rask last year. I don't think one goalie will single handedly beat the Hawks if the team is playing well come playoff time.

Still think Crawford's play will be way more important to team success than the opponents goalie in the playoffs.

But where we stand right now in the regular season, gotta tip the hat to Varlamov and the Avs.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Meh, I'm not too worried. They didn't play their best game at all and were still right there with Colorado all game. Raanta let in a softie, and is a rebound machine, not sure Crawford wouldn't have let the PP goal in either, but be nice to see a goalie steal a game for us once in a while.

I really do think they can flip a switch in the playoffs, because when they get desperate for a goal, they just dominate the other team.

If they don't have a decent run in the playoffs this year, I'm OK with it. We have been blessed with 2 Cups in 4 years and they will come re-energized and re-fueled next year worst case

Can't remember the last time a goalie stole a game for us. This team would be next to unbeatable with better intensity and above average goaltending. No matter who we meet in post season, odds are pretty good our goalie will be second best. If not, we likely win, but I'm not holding my breath that that will happen.

As for your last paragraph, at least you're being realistic. All these posters that keep repeating what has happened in the past to rationalize what we are seeing now, as opposed to what will happen in the PO's, are dreaming. History means squat.

As for last night's game: 2 stupid penalties and a softie cost us the game, otherwise we were the better team. Shaw has no excuse for his bone head minor .... but it's Avs, remember, they are a good young team, but hardly of the calibre of the stronger teams we will see in the PO's.... other than their goalie of course. We have a ways to go before we get to the level we need to be, especially in intensity. Glad to hear Jonny say what he did.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
As for your last paragraph, at least you're being realistic. All these posters that keep repeating what has happened in the past to rationalize what we are seeing now, as opposed to what will happen in the PO's, are dreaming. History means squat.

History tells us no team has repeated as Cup champs in the past 15 years and no team has EVER repeated in the cap era. We are fighting the inevitable BobbyJet. I like your swagger though.

"ONE GOAL: History means squat."

Get on it McD and the marketing team.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
History tells us no team has repeated as Cup champs in the past 15 years and no team has EVER repeated in the cap era. We are fighting the inevitable BobbyJet. I like your swagger though.

"ONE GOAL: History means squat."

Get on it McD and the marketing team.

Certainly, but let's not throw in the towel. This team is stronger than last year's edition.... or should I say are capable of being so.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Certainly, but let's not throw in the towel. This team is stronger than last year's edition.... or should I say are capable of being so.

Last year's Hawks were almost completely intact coming out of the locked out offseason for the shortened season (with less rest/practice days) which was a enormous advantage IMO. It was no surprise the two deepest teams in the league ended up in the Cup finals.

It is crazy this year that the top 3 teams with the greatest odds of winning the Cup barely have a better chance of winning the cup than the field when their odds are combined.

Going to be a heck of a playoffs this year.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yes. Why would Shaw be rattled or uncomfortable out there? He was going for a big hit and got stupid about it. Pretty simple.

Because he couldn't keep up with the speed all game and now saw his chance "to get even"?

Similar to most retaliatory penalties, why do those happen? Just stupidity? I guess we can chalk them up to that, but I think being pushed all game enters into it.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Because he couldn't keep up with the speed all game and now saw his chance "to get even"?Similar to most retaliatory penalties, why do those happen? Just stupidity? I guess we can chalk them up to that, but I think being pushed all game enters into it.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Shaw is not a top 6 guy. He plays much better on the 3rd line with some net presence on the PP.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Because he couldn't keep up with the speed all game and now saw his chance "to get even"?

Similar to most retaliatory penalties, why do those happen? Just stupidity? I guess we can chalk them up to that, but I think being pushed all game enters into it.

So now, anytime a player lays a hit we can chalk it up to them being angry because they are slower than the opponents? That makes sense.

Shaw wanted to lay a hit, because he likes to be a physical player, he just laid a hit a little too late. That's stupidity, not retaliation.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
So now, anytime a player lays a hit we can chalk it up to them being angry because they are slower than the opponents? That makes sense.

Shaw wanted to lay a hit, because he likes to be a physical player, he just laid a hit a little too late. That's stupidity, not retaliation.

Did anybody say that or anything close to that?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Actually, I saw it as both, along with the frustration that MM alluded to. Shaw had been nailed a few times in that shift and the preceding one, and found himself a step behind the play several times in the game, including when he took this ill-advised penalty (where he arrived too late to make the hit a legal one).

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Actually, I saw it as both, along with the frustration that MM alluded to. Shaw had been nailed a few times in that shift and the preceding one, and found himself a step behind the play several times in the game, including when he took this ill-advised penalty (where he arrived too late to make the hit a legal one).
I'm not buying it. He hit the guy out of frustration from getting hit earlier, and/or just wanted to lay a big hit to get some momentum for his team going. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad