GDT: 3/12/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Boucher did mention in the post game interview with SunSports that they didn't play as structured. It worth noting that playing that way seemed like it was the intent for this game.

I obviously don't know anything, or what's happening, and just sort of type words I've seen before, but if we're thinking Boucher needs to make a change, and then he makes it, I don't really get the complaint.

Huh?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
That's on me for not being clear, but Boucher after the game indicated that he had wanted the Lightning to play with less structure than they had been in previous games.

I read into it that he didn't want to overcoach them.

But he did ? Damn I'm confused sort of like the team looked last night.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They looked awful last night. Especially the second period. I almost hoped they lost so they could get lower in the standings. This team is going nowhere this season. Trade some dudes away and bring up the kids. They would be in position to get the top pick after that. Another top pick with Stamkos, Hedman, and all these young guys ready to contribute would make for a very nasty team in the near future. The future is where its at with this team.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Boucher after the game indicated that he had wanted the Lightning to play with less structure than they had been in previous games.

I read into it that he didn't want to overcoach them.

The above is an interesting thought. We, as fans, don't really know what's going on off ice, but if we were to speculate then this would explain a lot.

The players seem to be a fun loving bunch. Having a micromanager hovering over your shoulder is a good way to drain the enthusiasm out of a job. If Boucher was micromanaging the fun out of the games, started getting complaints about the poor results, over reacted and told the players to go play pond hockey, that kind of fits what we've been seeing on the ice. This may be complete balderdash, we as fans don't know for sure what's up, but if it's accurate I'd tell Boucher some structure is neccessary and correct some mistakes, especially if they happen more than once, but treat the players like men, and trust them to have some semi-autonomous freedom.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He did, what? Say something to the effect of wanting them to play with less structure? Yes.

OK be prepared for a long winded response. The players play the game and it is up to the coach to put said players in a position best suited to their capabilities in order to suceed. In the one week training camp the coaches put the players on lines and didn't move them in order to create a chemistry between linemates. All the preaching about repetition made perfect sense to me, players need to feel comfortable with their teammates in order to play without having to think too much on the ice.
We had our skilled offensive players on the top two lines, and our defensive minded players on the bottom two. We started the season 6 and 1 and everyone knew we weren't that good but were happy with the start. As soon as adversity hit Boucher started his overcoaching. Nate Thomson scored a goal and suddenly he starts the next game on the first line. Pyatt has a great game on the third line and suddenly he gets top line minutes. Conacher proves he can play top line minutes and suddenly he's on the forth line ? Killorn, Vinny, and MSL scored two goals in the first last night and the answer is to split them up ?
There can't be any less structure on this team. There is constant change and I don't see how they are being put in the best possible situation to win. Anyone who has played the game can tell you if the guy playing beside you is constantly changing you are forced to think too much with the puck, and you operate less on instinct. Am I a checker or a scorer ? Am I a forward or a defensemen ?
That said I am starting to wonder if there is really something to this process thing. Maybe just maybe they are not to concerned with wins and losses at this point. We know Conacher can play on the top lines lets try Killorn now. Let's showcase a couple of our veterans so we can move them, it's hard to trade a guy that you are sitting on the bench ?
Don't get me wrong there has to be some line juggling but I have never seen anything like this. I am usually harder on the players than the coaches, but I just don't feel they are utilizing the talent that is available on this team, nor are they utilizing most of the players in ways that best suit there abilities. Boucher is overcoaching line matchups when I say just go at them, and force the other team to make the adjustments, I truthfully believe we have the talent on this team to dictate what type of game is to be played.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Of the Soundcloud postgame comments, the thing that struck me most was...

Boucher: "I told the players before the game they were going to outshoot us."

There is something to be said for playing that kind of game, as it puts a lot of trust in your goalie. However, we know there is a BIG difference between quality of shots and quantity of shots. The way Lindback has played this year, it's a bold strategy to play this type of game, considering his softies thus far. The "rope-a-dope" kind of game last night was, at least from my view, a way to play a game where you force the panthers to beat us...the way they've played this season, that's a tall order. Not pretty by any means, but a way to get a win, I guess.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Of the Soundcloud postgame comments, the thing that struck me most was...

Boucher: "I told the players before the game they were going to outshoot us."

There is something to be said for playing that kind of game, as it puts a lot of trust in your goalie. However, we know there is a BIG difference between quality of shots and quantity of shots. The way Lindback has played this year, it's a bold strategy to play this type of game, considering his softies thus far. The "rope-a-dope" kind of game last night was, at least from my view, a way to play a game where you force the panthers to beat us...the way they've played this season, that's a tall order. Not pretty by any means, but a way to get a win, I guess.

He told the players they were going to outshoot us ????? WTF Now it all makes sense mission accomplished !!! We were playing the Florida Panthers not the Canadian Olympic team !!! We should of overwhelmed them for chr... sake !!! I guess he planned on Stamkos getting that softie at the end to win it. This is becoming way to kooky for me. Now I know why 17/26/4 were broken up they had too many shots !!! I see the light !!!!

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
https://soundcloud.com/#tblightning

Take a listen to the post game comments...it was more "they're shooting from everywhere they have the puck" than let's play lazy and inconsistent hockey, and let the other team blast away. He said they were going to shoot a lot, regardless of quality of chances, and they did. He also said that the 2nd period was not good...I agree.

Another noticable quote from Boucher in the link above: "We do pass up way too many shots, and that bothers me a lot." While it's easy to say that 13 in a game isn't enough, this is something many of us have repeated this year, and he notices that. He acknowledges that, and realizes it's something the team needs to fix. I think we can all agree to that. He also said that the game Lindback played was the kind of games he needs to play at this level...we can all agree to that. Games like that give a goalie confidence, and Lindback needs it.

I think some Lightning fans are looking to pick apart everything he says so that you can point out "how wrong he is"...listen to what the guy says in a context. His comments and our thoughts are not as different as what some fans paint it as.

Ugly wins are still wins, and they count the same as 5-0.

To no one in particular, I refuse to tank, and I hate the attitude "we should have lost because..." No. We should never play to lose. Ever. **** that. We're a team that can do things well, and with a bit of luck, we're in the hunt for the SE. I will never root for our team to do poorly.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Take a listen to the post game comments...it was more "they're shooting from everywhere they have the puck" than let's play lazy and inconsistent hockey, and let the other team blast away. He said they were going to shoot a lot, regardless of quality of chances, and they did. He also said that the 2nd period was not good...I agree.

Another noticable quote from Boucher in the link above: "We do pass up way too many shots, and that bothers me a lot." While it's easy to say that 13 in a game isn't enough, this is something many of us have repeated this year, and he notices that. He acknowledges that, and realizes it's something the team needs to fix. I think we can all agree to that. He also said that the game Lindback played was the kind of games he needs to play at this level...we can all agree to that. Games like that give a goalie confidence, and Lindback needs it.

I think some Lightning fans are looking to pick apart everything he says so that you can point out "how wrong he is"...listen to what the guy says in a context. His comments and our thoughts are not as different as what some fans paint it as.

To no one in particular, I refuse to tank, and I hate the attitude "we should have lost because..." No. We should never play to lose. Ever. **** that. We're a team that can do things well, and with a bit of luck, we're in the hunt for the SE. I will never root for our team to do poorly.

This. So much this. A++ seller. Would buy from again.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

That's all fine and dandy but I challenge anyone to say he has not made baffling decisions this year ? Maybe to them the process (checking out where there rookies stand, can they play at this level, can they not. What different type of roles can they play. What is left in the tank for some of our veterans ?) Maybe there is a method to MY perceived madness of this coaching. It just seems when this team gets something established, or we get something that is starting to click, it is changed at the first sign of trouble. This is not taking anything he says out of context I am just completely baffled and I have yet to hear any argument that explains what Guy is doing. I stand by my statement of overcoaching and panic prevail out of the coaches office, and this is why it looks like a chinese fire drill on many nights.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

To be fair, it really doesn't take a hockey genius to realize these things. And if he notices them, why are we seeing no progress in regards to them? I'm fine with the "process", but I was need to see some progress to believe in it. So far all I've seen is regression.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
To be fair, it really doesn't take a hockey genius to realize these things. And if he notices them, why are we seeing no progress in regards to them? I'm fine with the "process", but I was need to see some progress to believe in it. So far all I've seen is regression.

But regression can be part of the process if it means a bigger step forward later. Heck even I get that part :sarcasm: If you don't reward hustle and good play with TOI this is the ONLY explanation. Clear as mud !!!

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
To be fair, the Panthers take a lot of shots from the perimeter and long range. Just as they did last night. That's what they do and must be part of their strategy. Over analyzing the shots thing is dumb.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
To be fair, the Panthers take a lot of shots from the perimeter and long range. Just as they did last night. That's what they do and must be part of their strategy. Over analyzing the shots thing is dumb.

Only getting 13 shots against the worst team in the league is not good. There is no over analyzing there, it's just common sense.

Edit: It basically only means that we won because they are so bad, not because we are any good.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
And it's not the first time we were outshot. Boucher defenders are funny. We play one f the worst games we've played in a season full of bad games. This isn't an isolated incident.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yes. What Matt said. We got outworked and outplayed the whole game. To only get 13 shots on an AHL team is an embarrassment. We were in our zone for almost the entirety of the game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
God damn you all are a whiny bunch sometimes.

I don't really see how anyone is whining. All I said was that we only won because we played half of the San Antonio Rampage and they dominated us for most of the game. There's really no discussion to be had on that, facts are facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad