GDT: 3/11/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
offside thing is brutal should be either in or out none of this half in half out crap and no in before puck even with posession

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This was a pretty blatantly missed offside . I don't like the ticky-tacky challenges but when really blatant ones are missed that lead to goals there should be a review/challenge. I mean its gotten better now that Penalties are called when you lose a challenge.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Yep. You don't skate with both skates glued on the ice. What they should be looking at is the players position, not going into technicalities with the skates. That's what the offside rule is there for.

The fact that you can be offsides because a guy is skating horizontally on the blue line is pretty much the definition of what is wrong with the current rule.

You're asking a league who can't even get goaltender interference right to have the same methodology applied to offsides calls? And you think that will fix the problem or make it even more infuriating? lol

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You're asking a league who can't even get goaltender interference right to have the same methodology applied to offsides calls? And you think that will fix the problem or make it even more infuriating? lol
The fix is easy. Stop reviewing offsides. They add nothing to the game but delays and fewer goals, two things the game doesn’t need. No one watching the game thought it was offsides. None of us would have griped had the goal not been challenged.

We don’t review icing calls to make sure they are 100% perfect. We also don’t review offsides on entries where no goal is scored, so why pick this one limited situation where a linesman’s call is reviewed?

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
The fix is easy. Stop reviewing offsides. They add nothing to the game but delays and fewer goals, two things the game doesn’t need. No one watching the game thought it was offsides. None of us would have griped had the goal not been challenged.

We don’t review icing calls to make sure they are 100% perfect. We also don’t review offsides on entries where no goal is scored, so why pick this one limited situation where a linesman’s call is reviewed?

Cause of the Briere and Duchene missed calls.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That's the biggest glass desk I've ever seen!

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 6.33.42 PM.png

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Good grief. Between San Jose, Anaheim, LA and Calgary it's a dogfight to the end about who wants it the least. Not a single team is getting the job done to lock up spots 2 & 3 in the Pacific.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Not sure why people are complaining about this offside specifically. It was clear as day.. the ones where its like .5 inch in the zone on the blade that is stupid. If Malkin holds the line better its not offside.. he is trying to get an offensive advantage being a step ahead in the o-zone but it burned him this time..

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You're asking a league who can't even get goaltender interference right to have the same methodology applied to offsides calls?

What ?

There isn't a line drawn on the ice that determines goalie interference. It's not the same thing at all.

It's not complicated. Make it so that if one of your skates is not over the line, in the zone, then you're not offside. Looking at horizontal angle to find out if the skate is past the blueline or not is very clear cut and there is no gray area or stuff like that. You can freeze the image at the point when the puck enters the zone and then see where the skates are.

Skate on the ice or off the ice doesn't ever matter to the play that happens later. Players have to be able to skate normally without worrying about taking a stride at the wrong time. Like in this play Malkin was skating on the line, he wasn't even going into the zone and somehow he's offsides. It's stupid and defeats any logic to why offside is in the game.

In my opinion that skate (usually trailing one) should be the point of emphasis, because if that skate is not in the zone, then you can't physically be 100% in the zone either.

Right now if you stand on the line and wave your stick in the zone it's not offside, but if you do the splits then it's offside. In both cases your body is in the exact same position.

Again to me it's pretty simple, both skates have to be in the zone. Easy to look from video replay. No gray areas. Players can relax and try to make more plays on the line. Would it result more offsides? Probably yeah, but then the coaches challenge comes in handy. If it's a very rare occurance that you can't actually tell if a minor part of the blade is on the line or not, then just go with inconclusive and roll with the call on the ice.

Alternatively you can just get rid of the challenge and keep the rule as it is. But if they insist on keeping the challenge then this is a logical way to make it smooth in my opinion.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not sure why people are complaining about this offside specifically. It was clear as day.. the ones where its like .5 inch in the zone on the blade that is stupid. If Malkin holds the line better its not offside.. he is trying to get an offensive advantage being a step ahead in the o-zone but it burned him this time..

I don't exactly see what's wrong with skating along the blueline waiting for your teammate to get the puck in the zone.

Obviously it's pretty tough to do right now the way it's called but in principle i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad