GDT: 2W's in a row @home

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wasn't going for a comparison- I was saying that the mistakes we're making are the ones that teams, particularly young ones, make when they're tired physically and mentally. Independent of who we're playing, the team is playing like they need a break.

Okay, so Tampa handled the schedule better than the Canes did. Doesn't mean the Canes won't benefit from some rest.

Sounds like an excuse for playing poorly. Tampa has had the Canes number and are frankly a better team. My point isn't about how TB handles it vs. the Canes, but that maybe it has nothing to do with the schedule / rest and that TB is just a better team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Sounds like an excuse for playing poorly. Tampa has had the Canes number and are frankly a better team. My point isn't about how TB handles it vs. the Canes, but that maybe it has nothing to do with the schedule / rest and that TB is just a better team.

The team being tired is a real factor. It's one of many, and we can debate its relative importance, but it's real. I don't know how you can possibly watch this game and think that lack or rest isn't a factor.

Tampa is a better team- didn't say that they weren't. But the Canes were not bringing their A game tonight, and in the things that they control regardless of how well the other team was playing, they were making mistakes that are best explained by fatigue. First steps weren't explosive. They had lots of stupid mental lapses. They haven't had that extra gear to step up physically. Guys who are usually flying all over the ice at speed haven't been visible.

So yeah, you can just throw your hands up and say that Tampa was the better team, or you can actually go a little deeper to find more specific reasons that the Canes lost, in hopes that maybe you can learn to improve instead of just writing off every game against any team that finished above us in the standings last year.

Also, Jordan at the horn (okay, 0.1 seconds left). Making this technically a one goal game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The team being tired is a real factor. It's one of many, and we can debate its relative importance, but it's real. I don't know how you can possibly watch this game and think that lack or rest isn't a factor.

Tampa is a better team- didn't say that they weren't. But the Canes were not bringing their A game tonight, and in the things that they control regardless of how well the other team was playing, they were making mistakes that are best explained by fatigue. First steps weren't explosive. They had lots of stupid mental lapses. They haven't had that extra gear to step up physically. Guys who are usually flying all over the ice at speed haven't been visible.

So yeah, you can just throw your hands up and say that Tampa was the better team, or you can actually go a little deeper to find more specific reasons that the Canes lost, in hopes that maybe you can learn to improve instead of just writing off every game against any team that finished above us in the standings

It sounds to me like you are trying to make an excuse for losing in that they "were tired". My point for bringing up Tampa's schedule is that (a) they played the same number of games the last few days and (b) the played a game last night and (c) they've played as many road games as the Canes.

Wouldn't you agree the Canes should be the fresher team in this situation? And if so, then I struggle to see why you want to use that as an excuse for playing poorly.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
for me its more like "please can we stop talking about this now"

every time theres more than 3 goals "cam ward sucks"

every time theres less than 2 "cam ward is great haterz"

honestly i just hate talking about goaltending at this point

That's a pretty accurate assessment, and I agree.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

So yeah, you can just throw your hands up and say that Tampa was the better team, or you can actually go a little deeper to find more specific reasons that the Canes lost, in hopes that maybe you can learn to improve instead of just writing off every game against any team that finished above us in the standings last year.

Also, Jordan at the horn (okay, 0.1 seconds left). Making this technically a one goal game.

Eh, maybe. But why should TB be fresher than CAR?

I'm not sure TB had more "jump" due to tiredness, but rather due to confidence. TB made good things happen late in the 2nd with those power plays, and you notice the Canes start looking slower and more hesitant, like they're thinking too much. TB is just reacting to the puck, constantly moving, and always applying pressure in the offensive zone.

But like you said, this is hopefully the type of game CAR can learn from.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It sounds to me like you are trying to make an excuse for losing in that they "were tired". My point for bringing up Tampa's schedule is that (a) they played the same number of games the last few days and (b) the played a game last night and (c) they've played as many road games as the Canes.

Wouldn't you agree the Canes should be the fresher team in this situation? And if so, then I struggle to see why you want to use that as an excuse for playing poorly.

I'm giving my honest analysis of what I saw watching the game tonight. I thought it looked like fatigue was a major factor. You're free to disagree with that, though I don't think any thinking individual could dispute it, but I do resent the fact that you're questioning my motives and character for saying it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cam gave them a chance to win if they hadn't given up some easy chances. I never complain when he gets beat by perfect shots over the glove. He gives you that shot, and it worked against him tonight with three perfect shots. The save on stamkos was a potential game saver if we could've scored earlier. Young defensive errors, Faulk with one or two himself. I thought the biggest thing we did wrong was not get it deep enough on the best counter attack team in the league. That'll blow up in your face.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm giving my honest analysis of what I saw watching the game tonight. I thought it looked like fatigue was a major factor. You're free to disagree with that, though I don't think any thinking individual could dispute it, but I do resent the fact that you're questioning my motives and character for saying it.

:laugh: Lighten up Francis. I simply disagree with your assessment based on the fact that the Canes were more rested than Tampa. So based on that, it comes across as making excuses for the loss saying it was due to fatigue. If you resent that I disagree with that and feel it's questioning your character, well, that's your problem, not mine.

Look, I have no idea if it's fatigue, confidence, or whatever, but IMO, it "SHOULDN'T" be fatigue based on the fact that Tampa played last night and the Canes were rested. And although I never played at nearly the competitive level as NHLrs, I know for a fact that there were just some nights where we didn't have it, and it had nothing to do with fatigue. Over the years, this team has laid more eggs than I care to remember, so if they want the benefit of the doubt, they need to earn it. Otherwise, I'm more likely to chalk it up to more of the same vs. using fatigue as an excuse.

Even if the players / coaches state it down the road, I don't buy it.

EDIT: and oh, I love that you complain about me questioning your character but throw the little backhanded insult about any "thinking individual couldn't dispute that" (which by inference, is saying that I'm not a thinking individual). Nice.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Cam gave them a chance to win if they hadn't given up some easy chances. I never complain when he gets beat by perfect shots over the glove. He gives you that shot, and it worked against him tonight with three perfect shots. The save on stamkos was a potential game saver if we could've scored earlier. Young defensive errors, Faulk with one or two himself. I thought the biggest thing we did wrong was not get it deep enough on the best counter attack team in the league. That'll blow up in your face.

Cam wasn't the reason they lost by any means. I also wouldn't say he played great either, but I look at it like this. The Canes are playing 4 defensemen who are 23 and under along with 2 vets that nobody else wanted. As you said, they are going to have defensive gaffs and sometimes, it's going to bite them in the ass. It's unrealistic to assume they aren't going to have those types of errors IMO, so we have to ride them out. Unfortunately, the team doesn't score enough to overcome those types of errors on most nights (unless the goaltending is lights out).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad