Confirmed with Link: 2nd round - #35OA - LW Sebastian Aho - Karpat (FIN)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They did tell him that, and I'm in 100% agreement with you Kev. The only positive to me is that they're basically acting like they already have him under contract unlike situations we've seen in the past *coughJohnsoncoughcouh* so it gives me reason to think they have it worked out already and it's just a matter of timing to announce it.

Honestly, with them doing the draft party at PNC this year it wouldn't shock me in the slightest for them to do the announcement then. That would be 100% par for the course for this org.

Reactions: Identity404

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah I'm not worried at all. Kid is probably on vacation. Lord knows he's earned it. He could be doing one of those military obligation type deals too that all the Finns do.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Honestly, with them doing the draft party at PNC this year it wouldn't shock me in the slightest for them to do the announcement then. That would be 100% par for the course for this org.

You are on to something :naughty:

Edit: Though now I think about it there will be no GM's to get him officially signed as they will be at the draft hahaha.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Thread not posted in 2 months? Well, he has been flying under the radar since he has spent the summer pretty much training and nothing else. 8 times a week, according to this article:
http://www.iskelma.fi/uutiset/urhei...uteen-taysilla-edessa-iso-mahdollisuus-123460

In order to clear all the f-ups caused by google translate, the main points are:
-After WHC he had only 1-2 (word missing, but I guess weeks) total rest, after which he has been training intensively
-Some days he has been doing 6 hours of workouts (gym, 1.5 hours on ice, aerobic/upper body training)
-Power levels and muscle endurance have taken notable leaps
-Main focus has been to strengthen his legs for skating and body for contacts/board battles
-NHL is his clear goal and he knows what he needs there, he has chatted a lot with Finnish NHL veterans, especially Jussi Jokinen

Seems like the kid is having a good offseason. At least he is definitely putting the hours in. Given his very high hockey IQ, I expect a brief adjustment period followed by nothing but good things for the next season. :)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Thread not posted in 2 months? Well, he has been flying under the radar since he has spent the summer pretty much training and nothing else. 8 times a week, according to this article:
http://www.iskelma.fi/uutiset/urhei...uteen-taysilla-edessa-iso-mahdollisuus-123460

In order to clear all the f-ups caused by google translate, the main points are:
-After WHC he had only 1-2 (word missing, but I guess weeks) total rest, after which he has been training intensively
-Some days he has been doing 6 hours of workouts (gym, 1.5 hours on ice, aerobic/upper body training)
-Power levels and muscle endurance have taken notable leaps
-Main focus has been to strengthen his legs for skating and body for contacts/board battles
-NHL is his clear goal and he knows what he needs there, he has chatted a lot with Finnish NHL veterans, especially Jussi Jokinen

Seems like the kid is having a good offseason. At least he is definitely putting the hours in. Given his very high hockey IQ, I expect a brief adjustment period followed by nothing but good things for the next season. :)

Thanks for the update and the translation help. Google translate lets you get the gist of the statements, but leaves a lot to be desired. Glad to hear he has a tremendous work ethic. Does he train with any other players or on his own? There have been rumors that TT take a bit more time off in the off season, it would be cool if some of Aho's work ethic rubs off on TT next summer, if the rumors are true. Lindholm seems to have gotten the message this year and is becoming a gym rat, maybe next year we hear the same about TT.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Thanks for the update and the translation help. Google translate lets you get the gist of the statements, but leaves a lot to be desired. Glad to hear he has a tremendous work ethic. Does he train with any other players or on his own? There have been rumors that TT take a bit more time off in the off season, it would be cool if some of Aho's work ethic rubs off on TT next summer, if the rumors are true. Lindholm seems to have gotten the message this year and is becoming a gym rat, maybe next year we hear the same about TT.

On his own, but his trainer is Samppa Jaakola. He has been a physics trainer in KHL (Neftehimik Nižnekamsk or however that team is spelled, what a nightmare for an announcer) and currently is the physics trainer for Kärpät A-juniors. He has also written a book about physics training of young hockey players, and he has been Jesse Puljujärvi's trainer before this offseason.

Kid is in good hands.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I was reading about Juolevi a month ago and read he's going to train in Helsinki with Pulju, Aho and Teravainen.

Aho-Lindholm-TT line is going to be interesting to watch next season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Everyone needs to click on the article if only to get a great image of our boy Seabass. It looks like they took the photo while he was filming the rotating hallway scene from Inception. I hope he's rockin that flow during training camp as well.

In all seriousness, this is great news. How amazing does this kid seem right now? :amazed: Working out for 6 hours a day? Insane.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Everyone needs to click on the article if only to get a great image of our boy Seabass. It looks like they took the photo while he was filming the rotating hallway scene from Inception. I hope he's rockin that flow during training camp as well.

In all seriousness, this is great news. How amazing does this kid seem right now? :amazed: Working out for 6 hours a day? Insane.

Aho has always been kinda grown up mentally and willing to work hard to get better. Very reliable person in every way :)

It's not coincidence that he's on the Finnish WC team despite his very young age ;)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm sure it's been discussed before, maybe even in this thread, but would anyone care to tell me what is significant about the first clip? I've seen a longer version of it w/ fireworks. Championship OT goal?

That's the one. It wasn't this past season but the season prior. That was the Game 7 goal to win the SM-liiga Championship. It takes some stones to make that play and he did it with such composure. Sneaking past the defensemen and banging his stick on the ice for the stretch pass. I'm not sure how many 17 year old kids on earth would have been able to settle that puck down, stay onside and have the presence of mind to go backhand five hole. The scouts should have run that play on a loop for their teams. That's just zero pulse.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
He pretty much only has one facial expression.
I think that´s a good thing, probably next to immune to trash-talk etc, only looks focused in every situation.

godesab

Sep 6, 2016
Pohjoinen
Hello everyone! First time posting on this forum.

So Aho is most likely an extra attacker tomorrow vs Sweden. I'm pretty sure he will get his chance at some point. He can pretty much jump in any role needed.

Someone has maybe pointed this already out, but Joonas Donskoi is a good comparison when speculating Aho's rookie season.
They both moved to NHL after similiar seasons in FEL. Donskoi was "a late bloomer", starting in NHL after 5 full FEL seasons but I think Aho is physically and mentally pretty close to Donskoi and ready to take his spot in Canes lineup.

Joonas Donskoi 2014-2015 Kärpät

19g+30a in 58 games, 6g+16a in 22 playoff games

2015-2016 SJS

11g+25a in 76 games, 6g+6a in 24 playoff games

Sebastian Aho 2015-2016 Kärpät

20g+25a in 45 games, 4g+11a in 14 playoff games

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If Donskoi is any indication and assuming faster improvement for the younger player, Aho would potentially be looking at a top 6 role with around 45-50 points scored in the ideal case.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Teemu Selänne gives praise to Aho on NHL.com:

"NHL.com: We have talked so much about the younger players on the team, but Sebastian Aho has been forgotten a little bit because he appears to the No. 13 forward. Have you seen him play? And what are your thoughts on him?

Selanne: I was here for the [2016] World Juniors, and if somebody said he was the best player for Finland in the tournament, it was pretty close. He was unbelievable. Same thing in the Finnish League. He was actually a better player than Laine or [Jesse] Puljujarvi. I'm expecting he is going to be really good hockey player anywhere he plays. [Tuesday] in practice he was playing defense, and if you didn't know he was a forward you would say, wow, he's a good defenseman."

source: https://www.nhl.com/news/teemu-selanne-talks-world-cup-team-finland/c-281602798

I've always known that he's a very versatile player. It's nice to see that others see it too.

- Stoat

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Teemu Selänne gives praise to Aho on NHL.com:

"NHL.com: We have talked so much about the younger players on the team, but Sebastian Aho has been forgotten a little bit because he appears to the No. 13 forward. Have you seen him play? And what are your thoughts on him?

Selanne: I was here for the [2016] World Juniors, and if somebody said he was the best player for Finland in the tournament, it was pretty close. He was unbelievable. Same thing in the Finnish League. He was actually a better player than Laine or [Jesse] Puljujarvi. I'm expecting he is going to be really good hockey player anywhere he plays. [Tuesday] in practice he was playing defense, and if you didn't know he was a forward you would say, wow, he's a good defenseman."

source: https://www.nhl.com/news/teemu-selanne-talks-world-cup-team-finland/c-281602798

I've always known that he's a very versatile player. It's nice to see that others see it too.

- Stoat

HeavyQuaintHoiho.gif

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sebastian Aho will replace Teuvo Teräväinen for the next match against USA.

This is... Both a good and a bad thing for Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad